Author Topic: Hello !!!  (Read 4447 times)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Hello !!!
« on: June 01, 2021, 08:25:00 AM »
   Anyone out there ? No posts, no news, no meetings , no correspondence from President nothing. After running this Club for many many years it breaks my heart to see no action. Maybe it will change. Used to be so much fun.

char
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Hello !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 04:12:39 PM »
Hi Charles, Friday nights across two bridges, was never really good for me, but I'm looking to get out there again ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 12:52:00 PM »
Hi Charles, Friday nights across two bridges, was never really good for me, but I'm looking to get out there again ;)
Besides no real reason to go unless for social reasons. No Manf demo, no new gear, nada. I miss what we used to do. For now just have have some people come over.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 10:38:38 PM »
There are club members at post on AN quite regularly, but the posts are in the threads relevant to the topics, not in this one.

And as it has been ever since this thread started, there is a significant percentage of the club membership that for whatever reason is just not interested in participating in an online forum type discussion. This is nothing new. Just look at the stats on this thread. It was started in 2009 and in the twelve years it has been in existence there have been less than 200 posts here. It's not like this thread was burning up the board, even in the heyday of AN. It is a concept that just never took root with the club.

But just because it has been quiet here, that does not mean that there has been no communications among the club members. The folks in the clubs for whatever reason feel more comfortable keeping in touch via email and text messaging discussions than those have been going on outside of AN. This again is no big change from what has gone on in the past.

And as for club meetings, they have not died out because of lack of interest, they are dormant right now because the vast majority of our membership is age 65 and over, which puts them right smack in the middle of the Covid danger zone. The meetings stopped because people did not feel safe getting together for health reasons. The group has come to a consensus that we think it will be safe to resume in person meetings in the fall. And if things keep going they way they are currently trending I think that is a realistic goal, but of course things can change pretty quickly so at this point we will just have to monitor the situation and hope for the best.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »
But quite frankly I don't think it's likely that the club will ever go back to what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Our meeting have become more and more social events. An IMO that is driven simply by the changing priorities of our members. And more and more of use are getting deeper into our golden years many of us have less space to deal with as we move out of family friendly homes and into more retirement appropriate living quarters, Have less disposable income that we did when we were working full time and are less physically able to deal with moving around heavy gear than we once were. I see more and more members who are getting to the point where they are deciding for the reasons I just mentioned, as well as others, that it is time for them to just sit back and enjoy what they have build over the years and they are starting to prioritize listening to and enjoying their systems as they sit over trying to incrementally improve those system. And as their priorities move away from system upgrades is is not at all surprising that the overall focus of the club might start to shift.

And this is not an unusual path for someone to take in there journey along this hobby. But what is different now is that in the past we had a few members at that point, but at the same time had a bunch of younger members who were in the middle of the build and upgrade phase of the hobby, so things tended t balance out. But now we , as is the rest of the hobby are really seeing the effects of the greying of the hobby in that we have not been bringing in many new younger members, and as a result the wants and needs of the more senior members (which were always there in the past) are becoming more of a driving force in the clubs since they are now becoming a bigger and bigger percentage of the membership.

Did I just say that listening to music is more important than fiddling with hardware?????  :shock:   

Wow, I think I must be channeling the ghost of Earl.  :D

(I could do worse things,,,,,,,,)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 04:36:18 AM »
I am just not comfortable anymore with night time driving on unfamiliar roads. Couple that with getting up early to go to work makes the Friday night meetings daunting for me.
I do still very much enjoy our shared passion- it is still a priority for me, and my stereo is on for a couple of hours almost daily. I guess things just change. I know my eyesight did...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »
looking forward to reconvening meetings. I am still very interested in the hobby. Having just retired I will have more time once I get things done on my Honey-do list. I love building speakers but as Tom said it is getting tiring moving heavy equipment so my system may be transforming.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 08:36:01 AM »
There are club members at post on AN quite regularly, but the posts are in the threads relevant to the topics, not in this one.

And as it has been ever since this thread started, there is a significant percentage of the club membership that for whatever reason is just not interested in participating in an online forum type discussion. This is nothing new. Just look at the stats on this thread. It was started in 2009 and in the twelve years it has been in existence there have been less than 200 posts here. It's not like this thread was burning up the board, even in the heyday of AN. It is a concept that just never took root with the club.

But just because it has been quiet here, that does not mean that there has been no communications among the club members. The folks in the clubs for whatever reason feel more comfortable keeping in touch via email and text messaging discussions than those have been going on outside of AN. This again is no big change from what has gone on in the past.

And as for club meetings, they have not died out because of lack of interest, they are dormant right now because the vast majority of our membership is age 65 and over, which puts them right smack in the middle of the Covid danger zone. The meetings stopped because people did not feel safe getting together for health reasons. The group has come to a consensus that we think it will be safe to resume in person meetings in the fall. And if things keep going they way they are currently trending I think that is a realistic goal, but of course things can change pretty quickly so at this point we will just have to monitor the situation and hope for the best.

This Thread was not accepted by the powers to be in our Club because I set it up period. We recently started a music discussion online. So far three or four members have posted on it. Mostly new members. GTGs were posted with NO response. Yet the click meets every Friday. Flea Market mentioned. NO interest. Very little participation.
  Other members who desire to remain silent feel the same way. For almost 20 years as President we had a different Club. I miss that. That is all I am saying. Get involved.

charles

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 08:32:59 AM by rollo »

Offline rollo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 08:37:00 AM »
looking forward to reconvening meetings. I am still very interested in the hobby. Having just retired I will have more time once I get things done on my Honey-do list. I love building speakers but as Tom said it is getting tiring moving heavy equipment so my system may be transforming.

There you go Jim Hey, you are welcome any day to come over. DIY Speaker building could be a subject to discuss.

charles
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:39:00 AM by rollo »

Offline rollo

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 08:34:02 AM »
  Zoom meeting this coming Thursday with Peter Lederman. Whoopie.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
I had heard that Peter was down for the count with Covid during the Spring.

Good to hear that he is back on his feet and feeling well enough to do these kind of things.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 08:30:18 AM »

Good to hear that he is back on his feet and feeling well enough to do these kind of things.  :thumb:

Yup recovered with the 96% cure rate thank goodness. He had a serious bout being over weight.

charles

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

Yup recovered with the 96% cure rate thank goodness. He had a serious bout being over weight.

charles

Well, I do check into AN here and there, just that whenever I'd remember... outside of other chores, etc.  May be thru e-mail is another way of communication?  Anyhow, Mr Rollo, I've told you I tried to even contact you via the personal message link in AN here; I just never heard back from you. And, I'm griping again now....  Promise this is the last time.  The groups used to be much, much active of course.  But....

Shek