Author Topic: Treating Speaker Driver For Ringing  (Read 2649 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Treating Speaker Driver For Ringing
« on: March 02, 2021, 02:40:11 PM »
Good Afternoon,
As some may know, I use Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S speakers, and I’m quite happy with the sound. But, since this site uses the word ‘nervosa’, and I am certainly afflicted, here goes...
It is an open baffle design, and the drivers use stamped baskets. I’ve never heard ringing from them, though how sure can one be? Nervosa.
Being open baffle, the speaker frame is easily accessible. I was thinking of using Dynamat, or a similar substance on the frame. These speakers use modified pro audio 15” drivers from Eminence. I know I can just try it and see, but some of these products aren’t cheap.
Then my nervosa kicked in again and wondered- maybe I would kill the sound I love by deadening the frame. But I hardly think Eminence drivers are designed like some British speaker cabinets designed to flex and add to the overall character of the speaker.
Thoughts appreciated.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Treating Speaker Driver For Ringing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:15 PM »
I would bet that Spatial has waterfall plots if you email him.  Otherwise, you have nothing to lose by deadening the frame of the woofers, maybe nothing gained, but no harm done. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online Folsom

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »
I think Ron measured them at NRD.

Also I highly doubt you'd gain anything by doing this.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »
I have used caulking cord for years on stamped baskets.  It is called Mortite.  Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-B2-Caulking-19-Ounce/dp/B000LNODSQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mortite+caulking+cord&qid=1614744792&sr=8-3

Use into the inside of the basket that faces the cone.  It will reduce ringing... a lot!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 10:09:52 PM »
Jim,
You won’t be out a lot of 💰 for Dave’s suggestion
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 10:37:00 PM »
I have use Mortite on a number of projects. Not only is it cheap to try, but it stays soft and remains easy to remove long after you put it on.

It did a great job for me damping out vibrations in a CD transport mechanism.

And BTW, it also does a nice job at sealing up drafty windows, which is its original purpose.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 03:45:49 AM »
I’m so glad I asked. Mortite is a great idea- I too use it around the house. There happens to be a box already in-house. Thanks!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 10:03:33 AM »
  You can give it a try. However may be an issue removing it if you decide to sell them. If it ain't broke don't fix it is mt motto. Your Nervosa is warranted however in this case leave them be.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »
  You can give it a try. However may be an issue removing it if you decide to sell them. If it ain't broke don't fix it is mt motto. Your Nervosa is warranted however in this case leave them be.

charles
The Mortite caulking cord can be easily removed without a trace...
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline James Edward

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »
Another reason I’m glad I asked the question here- yes, Dynamat would also work, but Mortite is dead cheap. Per what Charles said- another good reason to use Mortite- it is easily removable, whereas Dynamat uses an adhesive that is surely more aggressive.
I’ll have to spring for another roll in a dark color- the backs of the speaker are visible.
BTW, anyone reading this thread, Mortite is pretty much a cheap alternative to the audiophile approved, and oft mentioned Blu-Tack.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 12:18:49 PM »
James, being the lazy person that I am, I was thinking you might try to see if you have a ringing basket on the driver before you go to the trouble of treating it. Assuming that the basket is readily accessible, you might take a metal spoon and tap legs of the basket to see if it will ring like a tuning fork or not.
 Obviously if you can't make the basket ring with a direct application of physical force from the spoon
it is unlikely that acoustic energy from the speaker cone will be able to induce any ringing.
Now that your Nervosa is fully engaged you could consider if there was any midrange frequencies
being reflected back through the speaker cone from the legs of the basket due to their width and surface area.
A partial solution to this potential problem is to put a 0.3 to 0.5 inch layer of fairly high density felt on the side of the basket leg facing the speaker cone. It might make a small improvement or not. There is a potentially larger problem from reflected sound emanating from spider area and surrounding metal outside the perimeter of the
spider. No speaker driver is "perfect" and some compromises always have to be made in order to meet the goal of getting a product to market.
Scotty

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:50:05 PM by _Scotty_ »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 01:22:36 PM »
James, being the lazy person that I am, I was thinking you might try to see if you have a ringing basket on the driver before you go to the trouble of treating it. Assuming that the basket is readily accessible, you might take a metal spoon and tap legs of the basket to see if it will ring like a tuning fork or not.
 Obviously if you can't make the basket ring with a direct application of physical force from the spoon
it is unlikely that acoustic energy from the speaker cone will be able to induce any ringing.
Now that your Nervosa is fully engaged you could consider if there was any midrange frequencies
being reflected back through the speaker cone from the legs of the basket due to their width and surface area.
A partial solution to this potential problem is to put a 0.3 to 0.5 inch layer of fairly high density felt on the side of the basket leg facing the speaker cone. It might make a small improvement or not. There is a potentially larger problem from reflected sound emanating from spider area and surrounding metal outside the perimeter of the
spider. No speaker driver is "perfect" and some compromises always have to be made in order to meet the goal of getting a product to market.
Scotty

Lazy but one smart cookie. Great advice.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
Oh, it rings. And it’s magnetic. The first few items I tried just stuck to the frame by magnetic force. After getting the appropriate implement, it does indeed ring.
The dark mortite has arrived, and that’ll be this weekend’s audio project.
As for what Scotty said- I direct you to  ‘The Bass’ bullet point in this link- he also mentions higher frequency reflections. I was proud of myself for coming up with the ringing idea, but this guy takes it to a whole other level. The Emerald Physics speakers are similar in configuration to my Spatials- they share a certain bloodline as it were...
http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Modding_the_Emerald_Physics_spe.html
I have felt too. I’m going to do one thing at a time though.
The irony in all of this- I love the sound I’m getting now. As a bumper sticker I saw once said- ‘If it ain’t broke, fix it until it is’.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »
So... Rather than wait, I applied Mortite string caulk to the ribs of the speaker drivers. Since I don’t have enough Mortite, I was able to compare. The ‘treated’ ones are lower in frequency when dinged than the untreated ones. Hopefully that is positive. Not being a brainiac, I’m not 100% sure. I’ll go with the chicken soup theory- it can’t hurt.
Truthfully, I don’t know that this will translate into better sound, though it can’t hurt, and I will sleep better. An example- I drive for a living, and heard an hour- long interview regarding this- simple, incremental changes.
https://productiveclub.com/marginal-gains/
Commander Cody on the stereo now. Must go turn it up!
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 05:29:33 PM »
So... Rather than wait, I applied Mortite string caulk to the ribs of the speaker drivers. Since I don’t have enough Mortite, I was able to compare. The ‘treated’ ones are lower in frequency when dinged than the untreated ones. Hopefully that is positive. Not being a brainiac, I’m not 100% sure. I’ll go with the chicken soup theory- it can’t hurt.
Truthfully, I don’t know that this will translate into better sound, though it can’t hurt, and I will sleep better. An example- I drive for a living, and heard an hour- long interview regarding this- simple, incremental changes.
https://productiveclub.com/marginal-gains/
Commander Cody on the stereo now. Must go turn it up!

That is a rather amazing article. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS