Author Topic: Speaker Tonality and Tweeter Direction  (Read 1956 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Speaker Tonality and Tweeter Direction
« on: January 05, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
More thoughts as I知 trying out some new speakers... Interestingly, at least for me, is that these sound smoother with the tweeters pointed directly at me. This seems counterintuitive, but there it is. There is some sort of I don稚 know what in the center protective screen of the tweeter. Is this dispersing the highs off to the sides? I imagine so.
The imaging is also spot on by this positioning. That makes perfect sense, but the tweeter smoothing I find contradictory.
Please comment on this if you care to.
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Speaker Tonality and Tweeter Direction
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:02:08 AM »
As usual, further research brings forth answers. It seems a big part of toeing in speakers is that it removes the room somewhat from the sound. As speakers are angled inward, early reflections from the side walls are reduced. This makes sense. Of course the tweeter design itself plays a role too, and I値l need to read further about that.
Not really in the same vein, but more toe-in makes for better off-axis listening in my living room. The angle reduces output of the speaker closest to me, and the farther one is pointing more toward me.
Thanks and back to your regularly scheduled listening...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »
As usual, further research brings forth answers. It seems a big part of toeing in speakers is that it removes the room somewhat from the sound. As speakers are angled inward, early reflections from the side walls are reduced. This makes sense. Of course the tweeter design itself plays a role too, and I値l need to read further about that.
Not really in the same vein, but more toe-in makes for better off-axis listening in my living room. The angle reduces output of the speaker closest to me, and the farther one is pointing more toward me.
Thanks and back to your regularly scheduled listening...

My listening room has some glass panels on the left side. When slightly toed out, the sound becomes more like a cathedral, which is quite pleasant on some recordings. The harshness I had in my system was finally tamed with the combination of an Uber and different cabling.
I知 quite curious what speakers you値l end up with  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:21:25 AM »
Every speaker will react differently with your room. Some have a wide dispersion and require first reflection absorption. Other tweeters beam and work better with more toe-in.

I would try the following until you get a sound you like. Start with the speakers firing straight ahead and put some absorptive stuff on those side walls. Second, start toeing them in an inch or two at a time and see how the sound changes. Third, even try crossing the axis of the tweeter in front of your listening position. Believe it or not some people say an extreme toe in works best for them

You also didn't say what speakers they are. There may be a forum discussion this very issue with that model.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.