Author Topic: Sonore MicroRendu  (Read 8484 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Sonore MicroRendu
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:57:48 AM »
Why is microRendu better than a $40 nanocomputer like RPi? Ethernet in, async USB out, DAC reclocks samples, done.

I know people are very exicited about it but I don't know what I'm missing with uRendu?

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:10:05 AM »
At this point, I think it is close to when you can run Foobar2000 Mobile on a RPi3 with Windows 10 IoT.  The development tools look very similar.  This would also give a user interface on the RPi3 with display and keyboard operation.  It has built in WiFi, Bluetooth, Ethernet and USB support. 

Already have the iFi iPower 5VDC adaptor running the RPi3, so that cleans up the USB power.

Going to give that a shot and see what device drivers I can use with the Amanero USB interface on Win10 IoT.  That might be the issue, but the XMOS software development is online. 

Hmmm...

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:37:24 AM »
Why is microRendu better than a $40 nanocomputer like RPi? Ethernet in, async USB out, DAC reclocks samples, done.

I know people are very exicited about it but I don't know what I'm missing with uRendu?

Rich, I don't begin to understand the details of the technology that enables an improvement in SQ.  There are those that may disagree, but for those that own it, there seems to be strong consensus.   I do know that the Regen met with much success in cleaning up USB and the uRendu has an improved integrated Regen built in.  I bought it because it works as a Roon endpoint (along with numerous other streaming methods).  

I did compare a laptop acting as a Roonbridge (Ethernet in, USB out) and the uRendu just sounded far better.  I also compared to streaming through a SB Touch (Ethernet in, spdif out) which I had used for years.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:36:30 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline richidoo

Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 08:35:46 AM »
I did compare a laptop acting as a Roonbridge (Ethernet in, USB out) and the uRendu just sounded far better. 

:thumb:  I might give it a try. 
Mike, can it be used to simply stream flacs from my NAS until I learn how to do Roon and the other streaming modes? Is that DLNA?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:23:02 AM »
I'm sure it can, but depends on your NAS and what streaming apps it can run.

Offline richidoo

Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
I was confused by the terminology they use on their website, describing uRendu network input sources as "output modes." My NAS is DLNA server so it should work. They assume potential customers are already fluent in uRendu-ese.

To use uRendu with Roon, you must run a separate Roon server on your LAN, right? uRendu cannot host Roon server?
Thanks Mike

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Sonore MicroRendu
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:43:20 AM »
I was confused by the terminology they use on their website, describing uRendu network input sources as "output modes." My NAS is DLNA server so it should work. They assume potential customers are already fluent in uRendu-ese.

To use uRendu with Roon, you must run a separate Roon server on your LAN, right? uRendu cannot host Roon server?
Thanks Mike

That is correct, re: Roon.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
Right,  the uRendu has multiple different output modes to match however you're streaming.   It can also selectively run other software like a Squeezebox Server (aka LMS) where the music files live elsewhere on your network (I haven't tried that but others say it works well).

I have run it in RoonReady mode (with RoonServer running on a desktop) and in Squeezelite mode (using either RoonServer or LMS).   Roon can run on some NAS but the NAS needs to be pretty powerful to do so. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:23:40 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
If/when you're ready to give Roon a spin and if you are considering using your NAS to do so, here's a thread worth reading...

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/announcing-roon-server-packages-for-qnap-and-synology/11910

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 11:40:52 AM »
thanks guys