Author Topic: Aidible Illusions Modulus 1  (Read 5477 times)

shep

Aidible Illusions Modulus 1
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:41:18 AM »
I sold this pre to a friend here years ago. He has always been happy with it and a recent retubing made it sing even better but we noticed some aggresivity in the medium and the dual-mono volumn pots were always a pain in the ass. They have no markings or indents. I've been torturing him with how I'm sending my cdp to Poland to Lukasz Ficus to tubed and so now the plan is to send the Modulus to be updated and modded. Lukasz agreed to do his magic for 150$ plus shipping. There are some serious advantages in living in europe! (the same job would cost far more in France, if you coud find anyone able to do it) This will be interesting  :)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Aidible Illusions Modulus 1
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:41:53 AM »
I have a Modulus 2D aka "The Tube Eater" as Carl likes to call it.  Curious about the results of this.

Have you been to the AI website.  It's not pretty but it has some very good technical information including the history of their product lines: http://www.audibleillusions.com/tech.htm#AI_PREAMP_HISTORY

shep

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 05:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the link. I will of course report back in due time. This one is clearly not the tube eater!

Deton Nation

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:02:14 AM »
I had the 3A for 12 years and used the original tubes. Im not sure if the circuit is exactly the same, but never noticed any agrressive top. Maybe it is the tube choice??
Very balanced and neutral top to bottom. Great pre imo.
Mike

shep

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
You may be right but the  russian tubes are noticiably better than the Mulllards. I suspect old, poor caps?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:19 AM »
You may be right but the  russian tubes are noticiably better than the Mulllards. I suspect old, poor caps?

They are a bit brighter in presentation than the Mullards which the AI needs. The AI is warm theMullards are warm . Too much warm. yes the caps may be tired but IMO its just a synergy thing. BTw the AI is wonderfull with a SS amp. Wonderfull with ICE as well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 01:34:56 AM »
Since there's only one tube (12AX7) in the line stage, it's easy to roll, although we haven't found a good source for this over here. That archive page from AI is great but doesn't tell much really. Anyway the Polish guru is going to have his wicked way with this old dame so we will see in time what wonders he performs. My friend is chicken; he wants me to send my CDP first! Me, I'm fearless and never had a bad experience doing this.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:41:36 AM by shep »

Deton Nation

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 06:23:06 AM »
The 3a has 4 tubes 2 for linestage and 2 for phono. So they may have a different sound, idk.
Just mentioning since you notice a strident top end...

GL with the upgrades!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »
I have a Modulus 2D aka "The Tube Eater" as Carl likes to call it.  Curious about the results of this.

Have you been to the AI website.  It's not pretty but it has some very good technical information including the history of their product lines: http://www.audibleillusions.com/tech.htm#AI_PREAMP_HISTORY

I need to hook you and your pre up with Sol.. He can at least find out why it's a tube eater... then offer suggestions to make it better.  While we're there we can install an IEC and let you play with power cords! :)
I really enjoy listening to music.