Systemic Development > Speakers

Fritz Carrera 7 BE or Ohm Walsh 2000 speakers

(1/23) > >>

Nick B:
I’ve had my KEF LS 50s for maybe a year and it’s a fine speaker. It can handle high volume and is overall quite musical. I’ve been thinking of either adding 2 subs or getting a different speaker altogether.  If I use subs, then we’re talking AC outlets and more connecting wire or wireless transmitters. Seems I have enough wires visible already in my living room. There’s also a bit of harshness sometimes on violins, trumpets and vocals, especially female. I’m not sure it’s the LS 50s or something else. Some of the recordings are on good labels.

As to new speakers, I’ve been reading many reviews, searching on YouTube etc. The Fritz speaker comes up and gets excellent reviews. The bass response is down to 37 Hz and that’s enough for me. Each cabinet weighs only 30 lbs.

The other interesting speaker is the Ohm Walsh 2000. It’s a floorstander weighing in at 53 lbs each and measures about 10”x10”x40. It has a driver that fires down and a tweeter that fires slightly up. Bass response is down to 32 hz. It’s interesting because I had the omnidirectional Shahinian Diapasons years ago. There’s not enough info and the reviews aren’t as detailed as I’d like on the Ohms. My concerns are it’s 23 lbs heavier than the Fritz and I wonder if it can match the Fritz as to retrieval of information and musicality. Ohm is located in Brooklyn.
Has anyone heard the Ohm 2000s? Comments are welcome. Budget is about $3,000.
Nick

Folsom:
More importantly let's talk about what kind of sound you want. That's where to start.

S Clark:
It's been nearly forever ago that I first heard the Ohm A and Ohm F speakers and loved them- but that was 41years ago.  I heard the Fritz 7 about seven or eight years ago at a RMAF.  They were nearly universally loved... by every one but me.  Nothing wrong with them, but for me, nothing stood out.  I think Charles thinks highly of them. 

Nick B:

--- Quote from: Folsom on October 14, 2019, 03:23:34 PM ---More importantly let's talk about what kind of sound you want. That's where to start.

--- End quote ---

Per your request  :thumb:

Very good at detail retrieval
Tight, defined bass into the 30s (That’s all I need)
Musical, not etched
Able to handle/move the speakers pretty much without assistance (I live alone in a retirement community)
Reasonably small footprint
Reasonably nice looking speakers (unlike my SP Techs)

Nick B:

--- Quote from: S Clark on October 14, 2019, 03:25:33 PM ---It's been nearly forever ago that I first heard the Ohm A and Ohm F speakers and loved them- but that was 41years ago.  I heard the Fritz 7 about seven or eight years ago at a RMAF.  They were nearly universally loved... by every one but me.  Nothing wrong with them, but for me, nothing stood out.  I think Charles thinks highly of them.

--- End quote ---

I read a few comments about the Ohm F of years ago and the comments were quite favorable. The Fritz model that I’m speaking of has probably come out within the last two years. If I recall correctly, the previous model(s) had a different tweeter and were maybe a bit thin at times. The current Fritz has the 7” Revelator midrange/woofer from Scanspeak. I’ve read favorable comments about it. The current tweeter is beryliium and I know little about it. Yes, Charles likes it. I recall there were some favorable comments about Nolas, but they didn’t work in my room and my audio buddy agreed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version