Author Topic: Used CD Sites On-Line  (Read 5177 times)

Bigfish8

Used CD Sites On-Line
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
Guys:

What are your favorite sites to purchase used CDs on-line?  I just made my first purchase at www.secondspin.com.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Used CD Sites On-Line
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:47:32 PM »
amazon marketplace, used as online store by many small shops.  Look it up with Amazon search, then click the buy it used link.

I heard of secondspin but i never tried it. Thanks for the link Ken

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:02:45 PM »
For used Cd's Ken.....I use :

Amazon....buy it used...as Rich mentioned

And....Half.com  http://www.half.ebay.com/

For good pricing on new (but not everything available)....Your Music...  http://www.yourmusic.com/enrollment/howitworks/
(BMG Music Service was rolled into this...$6.99 each Cd)

Also for New.... latest releases on sale at ......Target and Best Buy...I stop at the store.

Also online....Deep Discount ... http://www.deepdiscount.com/

And....some good deals do "pop up" on J&R.... http://www.jr.com/category/music/

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:31 PM »
One more for used....similar to Second Spin....Wherehouse.com ......

http://www.wherehouse.com/?gclid=CLfJ-svJ3p0CFUdM5QodZXi-NA

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
And lastly.....(slow thinking tonight... :rofl:)

If you really have to have something....and can't find it anywhere...

Try GEMM....but it can get costly... :?

http://www.gemm.com/

bacobits

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »
I use Amazon used, not a problem.

D

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 05:11:37 AM »
I've certainly picked up my share of new, used and cutout CDs and vinyl on the web, but when it comes to a spontaneous and immediate fix for new music, I can always count on Offbeat Music here in Durham in Brightleaf... one of the last great independent music stores.  They sell new and used CDs, LPs and a great selection of music-inspired t-shirts.  They have about a dozen CD changers to showcase about 60 different albums and they always highlight local artists as well as music you've heard on NPR.   And they're very willing to order anything they don't have in stock.  They even carry a nice supply of Naxos classical CDs.

Yeah, their prices are a bit higher but I love just going there and giving them my business.  I realize they're probably not long for this world and that's just sad.

If you're in Durham you need to check it out.... They don't even have a web site, but here's a bit of info:

http://www.historicbrightleaf.com/shop/offbeatmusic/index.html

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 07:23:38 PM »
I'll give 'em a look soon, Mike.. thanks for the tip.  Supporting your local record store is more of an experience to me.. and can be a real thrill.  I recently spent a long time in the Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey.. a fantastic record store.
It's rare that I'm looking for something specific at home.. but when I get to a store, the cogs start spinning! :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
Yourmusic.com 6.99 price includes tax, shipping & handling

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
I've certainly picked up my share of new, used and cutout CDs and vinyl on the web, but when it comes to a spontaneous and immediate fix for new music, I can always count on Offbeat Music here in Durham in Brightleaf...

http://www.historicbrightleaf.com/shop/offbeatmusic/index.html

I've walked by several times when going to Satisfactions or The Federal... but have never stepped in.

How do they compare to Schoolkids in Raleigh (Another indy that has unfortunately had to shed some stores - I think the Hillsboro Street location is the last) with respect to prices/what they carry, etc?

An aside...

If checking out Offbeat Music and happen to be looking for some good beer to go along with some new tunes, head up Main Street towards  Ninth, turn left at the Main?ninth intersection (maybe a mile from Offbeat) and check out Sam's Quick Stop - best selection of beer I've been able to find in NC. If I'm ever in Durham, I always make a point to stop by for a six pack of something new.

Bigfish8

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
I frequent the CD Warehouse location in the Kroger Shopping Center at the corner of Creedmoor Road & Lynn Roads.  Yesterday afternoon I was in and chatted with Jay the owner and he told the used CD business is a tough business these days.  He does more sales on the internet but he needs a store where people can bring in used CDs for him to buy.  Jay told me that the young generation don't really care a lot about music quality and seem to be happy downloading songs to their MP3 players.  

I know that most of the local group are ripping music to hard drives and streaming music to their systems.  In my case I don't need the CDs (although I have never sold a used one) but I do want the ability to purchase quality, "used music" at good prices.  Vera and I went into a Best Buy last Friday Evening and I was surprised at what they charge for new CDs.  Thankfully, Amazon offers much better deals!

As kids our music medium was primary 45's, then Eight Track, followed by Cassettes, CDs, and now the kids are downloading their music to MP3 players.  I would never have thought I would have experienced so many different music formats.

Ken

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:38:33 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 06:56:23 AM »
I like to use Ebay. I'll go to the CD section and use the word "lot" as the search criteria. It's not uncommon to find a "lot" of 20 CDs for $15 that contain maybe 5 CDs I want. I'll then check with SecondSpin.com to see how much they'll give me for the discs I don't want. I'll usually break even with the total "project". Most of the time, they only pay you .25 or .50 for a CD, but in that 'lot' of 10 or 12 discs it seems there's always a couple that'll fetch $2-$3. Second Spin even reimburses shipping to them if you use USPS Media Mail. The money they pay you can either go towards the purchase of their CDs, into your SecondSpin account, a Paypal account, or (I think) they'll even send you a check, but I'm not sure about that one.

They once paid me $6 for a Milli Vanilli CD.  :rofl:

It's been a long time since I've done that. You guys have me wanting to give it a go again. The entire process is kinda fun. A bit like searching for a killer deal on a treasure at a flea market.

Bob

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
Ken

I used to shop at CD warehouse a lot for good used CD's. The selection not as good as it was two years ago. For me I seldom go there any more, as few good one are brought in for sale.
I used to frequent BrightLeaf Square some time back and found it to be a great source for new and used music. A friend of mine in Durham says it is still a great place to shop. Haven't been there in years. Guess its time to revisit. My last CD purchase was Diana Krall "Live In Paris" for 5.99 new from www.yourmusic.com
Regular price 6.99 new includes S&H no tax.

Henry 
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare