Author Topic: Favorite 'Soundstage" Recordings  (Read 2857 times)

RoadRunner

Favorite 'Soundstage" Recordings
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
What are your favorite recordings that have a great soundstage (at least when played back on a worthy system)?

My interest for now is focused on CD releases.

I would like to have some benchmark recordings to use as I  upgrade and tweak my system.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Favorite 'Soundstage" Recordings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
Welcome RoadRunner!  Nice first post.

I love the feeling of space on Lt Kije Suite, the last 5 tracks of this recording:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Sean-Connery/Performer/35338-2

Coulda used some nicer mics on the strings, but otherwise it is a perfect recording of symphony on stage.

Another great symphonic recording is this one

Which was nominated for Grammy for best recording.

The Chesky recordings usually have a lively room with lots of spatial cues. If you like the music on them, then these are probably among the finest of audiophile recordings.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
Welcome, RR!

For a natural soundstage, that's tough to say, I'll do some thinking/looking.  I use a Peter Gabriel song called 'Growing Up' from his album 'Up' for spatial cues.  There are lots of effects and neat stuff happening in that song.  I use it to judge changes from one component to the next to see if imaging/soundstage was impacted.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
Carl also uses that recording to burn out his audiobuddies during a marathon cable listening G2G  :rofl:

Just kidding... that was actually an eye-opening effort!

Patricia Barber - Companion.  This one was recorded live at the Green Mill back 1999.  It just so happens that I was working a lot in Chicago around that time and heard her at the Green Mill at least a half-dozen times.  This recording really captures the ambiance of the place - and her voice and piano skills are to die for.