Author Topic: Opinion and digression  (Read 5348 times)

shep

Opinion and digression
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:50:21 AM »
One of the greatest catalogs for classical music is Harmonia Mundi. In the 70's and 80's their analogue recordings were and still are amongst the best ever made. To their credit, a great deal has been transferred to cd, with varying degrees of success, and thankfully is usually to be found in the budget section.When their stellar recording engineer Jean Pontifrac left (or died?) the quality when down with him. The banner was taken over by Astree, which itself has a huge catalogue, no less eclectic and broad. They have in general made very fine recordings and seem to have made the transition to digital recording more successfully than many who had finally gotten analogue down to a fine art. I have had the opportunity to hear direct comparison between the "old" vinyl releases and their cd equivalent and in every case the vinyl makes the cd eat dust. Anyway that's for the digression part (long Sunday evening). For those of you (not Carl!) who like the harpsichord and Herr Bach, there is an absolute gem in the Astree collection; the Goldberg Variations, played by Blandine Verlet. This made quite a stir when it came out in Europe, not unlike Glen Gould's interpretation. Personally I find this one of the masterpieces for keyboard of all time and have 5 versions, including several for piano. The one I'm speaking about is far and away my favorite. It is emotionally very intense, technically breathtaking and very personal. I can always see Bach smiling when I listen to it (which isn't often because it requires listening all the way thru to really get the genius of it). The recording is rich and present and very very good. I presume it is still available and should be an absolute must for Bach fans and those who savor smokey single malt on a dark stormy night by the fire and wish to be totally transported in time and space. Voila. I'm off to a neighborhood barbecue, where there will be lots of live music played by live musicians, mostly from Toulouse and with a very South-of-France traditional flavor; bagpipes, accordion etc. Songs in Occitan will also be sung. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:52:36 AM by shep »

shep

Re: Opinion and digression
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
No Occitan, Bob Dylan with an accent :(

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
No Occitan, Bob Dylan with an accent :(
Not what you were expecting huh?

Looking for that record I found this:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVD/BWV988-Verlet.htm

Here's the recording on Amazon used for $180... with samples   ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Blandine-Variations-Well-Tempered-Fantaisies/dp/B00005AKJW
Couldn't find it anywhere else. Don't know if this is the version you speak of....

A weird but cool modern Goldberg is from Simone Dinnerstein, also with sample for comparision.  I still like the 1981 Gould best. But no matter the artist, it's great music!

shep

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:45:52 AM »
Dis I read 180$?? Anyway it's not that one. It's the first link you posted and the picture on the right side. The reviews suck. They're nuts.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:19:10 AM »
Apparently the 1980 version was never issued on CD. If you're listening to CD, it must be the 1992 version.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:24:57 AM by richidoo »

shep

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:38:12 AM »
yes (but not for 180$)  :shock:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »
Sorry, I was editing my previous post when I got a phone call.

So do you have this recording on CD shep?  I'll trade you for the Simone Dinnerstein.
http://www.slate.com/id/2172856/nav/navoa/
http://www.simonedinnerstein.com/Press/Gramophone-Dec2007.pdf

shep

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 02:44:37 AM »
No way I'm giving this up! I'll burn a copy for you (if I can find a way do do so cleanly). That Slate lass sounds interesting. I'll watch for her but I prefer the harpsichord for Bach.

shep

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »
More opinion: I was reading the bad crits of this recording again and was again struck by how petty and really ill-informed they were. First of all this is considered the absolute epitome of Bach's keyboard output and extremely demanding to play...requiring years of keyboard mastery to attempt it. It is long, very difficult and has to be played in one go, from memory, in order to capture the sweep and intricacy of Bach's genius. Bach was considered an inspiring and awesome musician at the time. He most certainly would have been bewildered and  unhappy at the idea of playing his, or any work, from rote, mechanically, slavishly. All the more so as it was considered a sign of good musicianship to embroider, to improvise, in short to interpret...not copy what the teacher or master had done. He would never have encouraged any pupil who tried to be a clone. He certainly would have had his own way of playing the Variations and an over-all view of how they should be heard, but I doubt that was meant to be set in stone. The score is a matrix, not a commandment. I find Verlet's recording breathtaking, not only because of the obvious technicity, but how she both interprets the score and lets the music interpret her; symbiosis. It breaths, ebbs and flows, unfolds, explains, captures and reveals what is both a "mathematical" jewel and a highly spiritually charged statement. It is both awesomely intricate and utterly transparent. I don't believe she takes any liberties but just adds her personality to the mix. Certainly if you listen to Gould or other well-known interpreter, they all impose a specific "tone", tempo, character to their recordings of this work. Nuff said. I rest my case. And yes the instrument she plays is gorgeous. Anyone who thinks a harpsichord is just a tinny tinkle box should think again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:49:37 AM by shep »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 05:22:23 AM »
But Shep, we're talking about the music industry.. it's not about art, it's about money!  Clones are predictable money makers... That's why there are so many bands that sound alike.. 1 artist comes along and produces something truly unique and the industry finds a bunch more of them to cash in!  No need to look for true creativity, easy money, honey!  It's worked since day 1 as far as I can tell... The music business is equally sophisticated as car sales, I don't see it changing any time soon.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 07:11:41 AM »
Good points shep. Gould is valid, because it was new and fresh when it happened and because it reawakened the public to Bach who had been all but forgotten. But because everyone grew up with it and the snobby tendency toward right and wrong in the minor leagues of classical music in general it is understandable that critics who by definition would rather be players but can't would judge every other performance of the variations against Gould. As Chris pointed out so well with the jitterbug, there is only one John Wayne, and there will only ever be one Gould, so that trick is done. Punky little showoff piano students will always want to "do" variations, and eventually some producer will want to record it, so they will keep coming, most sounding exactly the same - notes on a page. Perhaps that is why Dinnerstein had such a hit when she veered radically away from the traditional feel good approach. I personally find her version to be mechanical and contrived, but deliberately so which i guess makes it OK. Hell, she is raking in the leaves with it so more power to her.

I do love harpsichord music. I have some modern compositions for harpsichord that are dynamite. I don't think I have ever played it on my system though, it's from the old days. I think it will make a superb audio test disc to see if anyone else remains in the room after 5 seconds. Modern harmonically challenging music played on  harpsichord is not everyone's cup of tea. Here it is:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9340&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&comp_id=212583

Yes of course, I meant "trade" in the new vernacular. ;)  Via post it's not too bad. Since the alternative is $180.. haha

shep

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
You'll have to be patient Rich on this one. I too like modern harpsichord but haven't heard very much.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
I'm about as patient as a popsickle on an August afternoon. But if you dig Goldberg variations I'm sure you'll like it. It's not atonal on purpose just to be annoying, it is just a little far out, typical early 20th century fashion, but soon you'll be humming the melodies. Persichetti is a genius.  I didn't know until this morning when i looked this album up that she had recorded a bunch more of his stuff too.  :D