Author Topic: Dizzy's Birthplace  (Read 1615 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Dizzy's Birthplace
« on: March 07, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Yesterday Mapquest directed me toward Cheraw, SC. 12 miles before Cheraw I told my son (and navigator) that was where Dizzy Gillespie was born.

"Do you want to stop and see it?" he asked me.

"No, that's OK. Dizzy couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and I don't know where it is anyway."

15 minutes later we are crawling through historic district at 25mph (thank you mapquest) and I see a small bright red sign 2' x 3' reading:

Cheraw, SC 
<---Library
<-- Dizzy Gillespie Birthplace

Who could resist?

A couple blocks off SC-9 in historic Cheraw we come across a park full of whimsical aluminum sculptures, with a giant archway with Dizzy Gillespie over the top inviting us to enter and enjoy the space. The usual silver sign describing the significance of this historic spot was standing alongside the 100 foot long aluminum fence with metal musical notes welded to it.

The old house is gone, but the property is beautifully maintained, all grass with a couple dozen huge pine trees in the back of the 3 acre property, a dozen park benches with sculptured backrests portraying Dizzy in aluminum sheet doing various crazy acts. The centerpiece is a sculpture of 3 trumpets in the center of the property. According to the dedication plaque, the park was established in 2001.

It is a very happy place, with the same feeling that I felt the few times I was in his presence.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Dizzy's Birthplace
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
Rich, one of the nicest parts of that story is the fact that your son is developing an appreciation for these things. When he hits those later teenage years when most kids distancing themselves from their parents it will be great to have a common interest like this to pull you together.  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables