Author Topic: OK. Maggie owners...  (Read 2303 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
OK. Maggie owners...
« on: December 04, 2023, 09:35:16 PM »
As I'm posting this, I am assuming that Maggie owners have brains.  Every one of these guys I know are good!

The biggest single source of SQ degradation in Maggies are the protection fuses.  I get it.  Fuses save stupid people from speaker grief.

IF you are a Maggie owner with a brain and restraint, I encourage you to try a pure copper element in place of the fuse.  Fuses are 5mm.  You can get OFC copper bar stock from McMaster-Carr,  you can order copper foil tape (works great) or you can throw caution to the wind and get a short piece of 1/4" copper tubing from a big box store.  Slightly springs the fuse holders, but who cares?

Oh, yeah.  Put a good polish on and contact treat the appropriate "slug".
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: OK. Maggie owners...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 04:27:07 AM »
Dave,
Had a recommendation from another Maggie modder when I was working on the MG10/QR's to try these fuses instead of the standard:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154043810677

May not be a copper bypass, but sounded very good in the speakers.  From what I can find they are silver fuse elements with sand damping.

They play plenty loud with much higher rate DSP crossover filters than with the stock single pole filters when mated with servo subs.  Did not blow any fuses at the show even playing some fun stuff loud. :)

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 09:25:21 AM »
How hard is it to actually blow them?

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 10:58:33 AM »
Dave,
Had a recommendation from another Maggie modder when I was working on the MG10/QR's to try these fuses instead of the standard:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154043810677

May not be a copper bypass, but sounded very good in the speakers.  From what I can find they are silver fuse elements with sand damping.

They play plenty loud with much higher rate DSP crossover filters than with the stock single pole filters when mated with servo subs.  Did not blow any fuses at the show even playing some fun stuff loud. :)
Yep, the Schurter fuses do sound good and sound even better when the bodies are damped with heat shrink on the glass.

Most Maggie's back in the day were blown by using amps that oscillated driving them or were underpowered.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 03:55:45 PM »
I’ve been looking at OCD Mikey’s website for a few years now and he’s offered this kit for a while. I’ve not had the pleasure of owning or listening to Maggie’s at someone’s house.

https://www.11stereo.com/product-page/magnepan-instant-upgrade-fuse-replacement-kit

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 06:46:58 PM »
I’ve been looking at OCD Mikey’s website for a few years now and he’s offered this kit for a while. I’ve not had the pleasure of owning or listening to Maggie’s at someone’s house.

https://www.11stereo.com/product-page/magnepan-instant-upgrade-fuse-replacement-kit

I've replaced a bunch of Maggie fuses around here with this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/metals/copper~/super-conductive-101-copper-rods-and-discs-7/

I have a bunch.  If anyone wants to try them I'll be happy to send you AG3 size highly polished pieces.  Let me know.

I also have 6.35mm 4-9s silver tubing that is better, but it will cost you! 😁

« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 06:52:32 PM by P.I. »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 07:35:29 PM »

I've replaced a bunch of Maggie fuses around here with this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/metals/copper~/super-conductive-101-copper-rods-and-discs-7/

I have a bunch.  If anyone wants to try them I'll be happy to send you AG3 size highly polished pieces.  Let me know.

I also have 6.35mm 4-9s silver tubing that is better, but it will cost you! 😁

To deviate slightly… are there upscale fuse holders available like rhodium, ofc etc or can basic fuse holders be plated and there be a benefit? Also, have you ever tried to polish a standard fuse holder and noticed an improvement?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 11:39:25 PM »
Where in your gear would you want an "upgraded" fuse holder?  Are you then going to spend the money on an "audiophile" approved fuse from SR, Audio Magic or one of the other brands?
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2023, 12:17:37 AM »
Where in your gear would you want an "upgraded" fuse holder?  Are you then going to spend the money on an "audiophile" approved fuse from SR, Audio Magic or one of the other brands?

My point was more along these lines…. since experienced guys like Dave and Rich and OCD Mikey agree that Maggies, for example, do better with fuse changes or alternative implementations, then it follows that fuse holders would/should/might affect the sound as well. For those that are strong advocates of upgrading fuses, I never read any discussions of the quality of fuse holders, and I find that very strange. I’ve never dabbled in fuses, so I’m neutral on the subject.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2023, 11:46:39 AM »
then it follows that fuse holders would/should/might affect the sound as well.

I'd like to know if these affect the sound as well!

Did you mean fuse holders like these, Nick?

Found these on the Acme Audio Labs site. Cryoed and silver plated.

Paul