Author Topic: Quad 2905  (Read 29588 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Quad 2905
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 12:59:30 PM »
Good to see you back rollo. Please PM your phone # so I can call you to catch up

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 08:19:41 PM »
OK, I outgrew the Quads pretty fast. Sold em today. Some things I will miss about them, but overall they just didn't do it for me. I was spoiled by my first speakers, Legacy Focus, which have deep bass and excellent dynamics and (mostly) very natural gentle tone. The quads have compressed dynamics most of the time, but occasionally can jump out, I guess it depends on the music, but the obvious compression was not for me, especially on classical music which gets a lot of its excitement from the macro and microdynamics of the compositions and phrasing.  I heard it when I demoed them, but I thoughtt was the preamp doing it. Nope...

The quads also have limited bass extension, so the feeling of fulness and power is missing. The sound of the Quads bass is so crystal clear and beautiful though that the impact of the bottom octave is hardly missed, unless you are spoiled by square feet of dynamic woofers. I will probably not hear a clearer more transparent bass again, but I gotta feel the power more than the hear the fine texture.

After listening to the Feastrex, I have really come to appreciate the idea that paper is most beautiful and natural sounding material for speakers. The quads have a very slightly plastic sound to things. It is kinda sterile, but not really, not like Focal beryllium tweeter or aluminum mid drivers. It puts a plasticized buzz on brass instruments. In the Quad fest listeners noticed it on familiar tracks, especially vocal sibilants, etc.

The quads are an intellectual listener's perfect speaker. If you think about the sounds, and analyze the phrasing and think think think, listen to cables, and power conditioners, and guitar strings and woodyness of violins, or even for a music major studying compositions as I used to do, then these would be very enjoyable. It is not as ultimately detailed as the beryllium Ushers, which are also more musical (emotional?) but the distortion is so low that the details just flow into you easily. The information that comes from them is intense. Emotion and beauty seem less pronounced.

Aside for those areas, the Quads were mind blowing. The imaging is like watching a movie. I would have to open my eyes often because I would get distracted by the "visuals" which were really "audios." The bass and midrange was utterly real. Rich, thick yet detailed and fast. Hard to describe. Very revealing of electronics, so good stuff is required to get the most out of them, which I don't really wanna upgrade that much. I was able to easily hear the deficiencies of the $1000 minimax preamp compared to Hantras Cary SLP-05 in areas of detail, tone and bass, and the mini is a mighty good preamp. 

I thought that the Quads might be more of a small band speaker, bluegrass, jazz, etc. But it played very strongly on rock that was already compressed. It plays plenty loud and the bass is so clear it is enjoyable and "interesting" to listen to rock. But without the deep bass  and impact of pressure wave the rock out feeling is hard get just by imagination.  Smooth jazz was incredible, these are perfect speakers for Chris Botti or Fourplay type music. Absolutely perfect, plenty of bass, cold withdrawn feel just like most smooth jazz. I wish Ken could have heard them just for that!

Another great thing about them was the way they behaved in the room. Once pulled out far enough they had minimal effect on bass nodes. Swapping in a monopole speaker really showed how good the Quads were in minimizing room reaction. There were more midrange room zingers than bass. I could not hear any bass anomolies at all, but Shane heard some and described them enough that I could start to pick them up. But comparied to Ushers and Focus they were extremely minimal. Some of that is probably the somewhat limited extension (only 40Hz flat) but also the velocity transducer instead of  pressure transducer may have an effect? To me sound is sound, so I don't know.

The Quads taught me a LOT in a very short time. Including that my amps need new tubes every year, and that the amps sound bad before they pop tubes. The quads just couldn't play with the old tubes, so I was forced to replace them, and upgrading made a big difference in all the speakers I have played since. Also, I was again reminded the cardinal rule of hifi, to listen at home for an extended period before you commit to buying. My quad demo was too short. But even if it was longer, that demo setup would not be able to reveal the things I heard later in my own house.

It was fun, and didn't cost me very much, so glad to have live to tell the tale. Very interesting speaker. I doubt that I got the most out of it, I'm sure it is capable of MUCH more, and the problems I found could probably be greatly improved with better electronics and acoustic treatment. But some things like the dynamics were inherent to the speaker, so it was a no go for me.
Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 02:42:13 AM »
Congratulations...Rich...on advancing another step forward on the path to...'I'm pretty damn happy with what I have'...and now I can just listen to music  :lol:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »
Yup.  Everybody has to got through that to understand 'what the big deal is about panel speakers.'.  They can be very seductive and do many things SO right - but they have their limitations in most cases.  Now, if you have the space for Acoustat 8's or 2 pair of the big Sound Labs (1 to listen to, 1 to have in the shop - kind of like a Jaguar...), then you can have that coherence and timbral purity along with dynamics and killer bottom end.  Short of that, it's really tough.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »
Thanks Steve. Upward and onward!

I would love to hear those big planars Bryan. A friend in Raleigh has the Sounds Labs, not working, of course, so I've never heard them. But they are really BIG!
I need a short pause from the insanity... pretend to be normal for a while. :D

Sound Labs M1-PX
Acoustat 8

canyoneagle

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2008, 01:09:22 PM »
Rich,
Reading your post really hit home for me.  In many ways, I have the same feelings toward my Omegas after having owned Canton Ergo 120's (the classic series before their use of aluminum drivers), which are remarkably similar to Legacy speakers in their design and sound, and my sorely missed Castle Howard S3's, which are cut from the ProAc/Totem cloth.

I am really enjoying my omegas, but I am beginning to question whether they are the right fit for my needs.  I tend to do alot of "general" listening while going about my business, and listen "in the zone" less than 7-8 hours a week on average.  The Omegas are phenominal with the right source material, but I find them to be a bit hard to listen to with a wide variety of music (translation: not always premier recording qualities/engineering).

I will (hopefully) be demoing a pair of AudioKinesis Jazz Modules to see if they are a better match for my needs, and find myself researching my options in the 90+ dB efficiency category.

Like you, I think I am learning that I am willing to trade a little bit of texture and detail for a more "laid back" speaker that can produce the full dynamic spectrum of the music even at low listening levels (the cantons excelled at this) and has a slightly "warmer" tone.

In the mean time, I am happy to continue my current love affair with my MaxHemps as long as the next step in my journey may require.

Warm regards,
Michael

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »
Maybe the Omegas are more of a transition speaker for you, like the Quads were for me. A step along the way, a chance to learn more about what you really want. A contrasting perspective. ;)

Bigfish8

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 06:22:29 PM »
Rich:

Good luck on your quest for a new pair of speakers.  I really hate I missed hearing the Quads!

Ken

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  Panels are great and someday I'll have a system with them again.  Just have to wait until I have the cash to get the ones I want that will do everything I need them to do.  Maggie 20's come close but you have to be a bit careful 'rocking out' with that ribbon tweeter.

The old Acoustat MONITOR 4's (not the model 4's) that I had came pretty close in something reasonably sized and priced. 

They'd rock pretty well, had good bottom end, and imaged like mad.  Good luck finding them though - and they had integrated direct drive amps built into the back - 4 6HB5 tubes in each amp push-pull.  +/- 5000V to the grid direct and the ground floats at + 1000V.  Not something to have around nosey pets or little kids.

Pic of the back of the Monitor X - same amp shown here was on the 4's

Bryan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:43:23 PM by bpape »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
Yeah the quads are phenomenal, no quad bashing intended at all. They are Way far deep into the high end. But nothing is perfect. Stravinsky chamber music and smooth jazz just awesome. But every speaker has issues, most have more issues than the Quads... 

Nice pics Bryan, were those yours?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 04:07:47 AM »
No - those weren't mine.  I have some pics around here somewhere of my set.  Mine were basically the first upper left pic but in the lighter fabric.  I sent the amps in to 'The Mod Squad' if any of you remember them. to have parts upgraded and get the auto-turn-on circuits tamed down a bit. 

Absolutely loved those speakers.  The only reason I got rid of them was when we started having kids, they just weren't safe.

Bryan

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 06:46:31 PM »
Wow, I step away for a short while and the lovely Quads are already goners ...  :?

You've really had the yin and yang of speakers there (Ushers and Quads), so is the next one middle of the road?  Or maybe a Dr. Geddes rooted descendant to really hang out there?  Maybe a line source?

BTW, after having the Ronins for a couple weeks (sans onboard bass amp), I second Bryan's thoughts on those.  They do so many things so well, are fairly simple to integrate (at least compared to active XO biamped CS2's), and are even "normal home" environment friendly.  Very nice design overall and worth a listen.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
Hey Tom! They were an exceedingly rare impulse purchase for me, usually I take 6 months to decide anything! These I bought in 24 hours. Lotsa fun but not a keeper. Good experience overall. No point keepin them after I decided no. But the new owner is VERY excited for them to arrive.

Where next? Actually I have these Feastrex full range drivers which I have a few projects hovering around. A horn design by planet10 which plays down to 50Hz from 4" driver, a closed field "body-phone" cocoon, and an open baffle with the DCXC2496 and either a pair of Perrless woofs or maybe those new paper cone Rithmik servo drivers GR is selling.

But I will be enjoying the Ushers while they are still here. Maybe they will lure me into the web. I'll be trying some different 100W tube amps on them this month. I would love to hear those big electrostats too. I read the Sound Labs website yesterday, so cool. I also will audition the new Legacy Focus HD this summer. shit it already is summer, I better make plans. Deadbeat Legacy dealer in Raleigh won't stock anything, said as much to my face. Oh well....
Rich

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »
I was at Eric Heider's house in Michigan several months ago and he had a pair of the big Whispers just sitting there gathering dust (among many others including some Epiphany 20-20's).  Never have heard them though.  The RSA Sasons were holding court there (Dodd battery pre & amps) and sounding very good that day along with a pair Salk HT-3s.  Must be nice.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
No such thing as too many speakers!  :rofl:  One for every mood...

My Quad seller had quite a collection too. 2 pairs 2905s, Focus HD, Salon2, Mac XLS360, plus Mac and  Marantz amps, Vettes, lake house, fun to hear about it all. Nice guy - likes his toys!!