Author Topic: Quad 2905  (Read 29600 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Quad 2905
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 09:12:51 AM »
There definitely is something to the minimal crossover implementation... I heard it in a pair of GMA Europa's which used a very simple, 2nd order crossover.  They were special in the mids, for sure.  Not refined enough for me long-term and the owner talked down to me so, I had no problem selling them.  But this whole cross-over thing has me thinking now... 8)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 09:18:33 AM »
The xover is part of it - but don't underestimate the point source aspect.  If you ever get a chance, listen to the Nomad Ronins. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
Now I KNOW there's no dealer for those around here!   :rofl:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Yeah - that's unfortunate.  It really opened my eyes as to the importance of the point source thing.  Paul came down to StLouis and brought the Ronins for the GAS guys to listen to.  I was sitting probably 3-4' outside the left speaker and was amazed at the wonderful 3D soundstage I was still getting in that poor position. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 02:30:56 PM »
I turned the listening room sideways, going the long way now, sounds good. I can get the speakers 8 feet out and about 12 feet apart. These things can really fill up space with sound. The interesting thing is that without the speakers playing straight in to the long kitchen area, the reverb from there is reduced. Being quads with their sides pointed into the kitchen, it is very low levels in the kitchen, so I think there will be a good benefit acoustically to staying this way. I do need some treatment on the front wall, there are windows, fireplace glass and marble there. I put a picture up later.
Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
Rich...it must be nice to be able to so easily move your whole listening area 90 degrees  :lol:.

Anything to report on the WAF...for the new arrangement?

Congrats on having all of the TOYS to play with...looking forward to the May GTG  :drool:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Phil

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 05:43:10 PM »
Rich,
You are very welcome (getting back rather late to your earlier post).  Glad I could be of some help in your quest.

Sounds like you are having fun.  I'm curious too about what your wife thinks.  I've got my speakers on the long wall but there isn't enough room behind them for something like the Quads.  Keep the reports coming.  Very interesting reading and I'm getting that vicarious thrill.  Next best thing to being there.   :lol: 

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 07:14:24 PM »
The hardest part of rotating the room was moving the Ushers - haha!!  :shock:  But I am really glad they are still here. I have them behind the Quads so I can switch to them easily. I haven't heard them in a while so it will be fun to compare to the Quads tomorrow. Feel the thump again, and the more tangible dynamics, even on soft stuff.

WAF has been very good so far. She said she likes it better, because she can see me while I listen while she cooks for me. Is that a great wife, or what? The room looks and feels more balanced, symmetrical, better Feng Shui?  It allows better speaker placement when sidewalls don't matter like on dipole. Shooting the sound out into the kitchen just to get screwedup and reflect back as noise is a dumb idea and is much improved. To me the room arrangement looks silly, speakers still dominating, but sounds good so I will keep quiet. It is still shared living space though, so the background noise continues to be a problem. Kids jumping off beds right above my head give me a heart attack in the middle of a soft gentle passage.  :x  I wanna try moving the whole thing up to another room that is smaller but could work well with dipoles and have a few closed doors between me and the kids and refrigerator. I think the Quads would like being in a smaller room. Tube amps sound bad up there because the mains circuit is lousy. But the McIntosh doesn't seem to care if dedicated 20A or switched shared 15A, another plus for it.

In the first couple days I was concerned that the Quads were not quite dead-on with tone in a couple recordings. After moving them around to present spots far away from front wall that improved to solve a couple of the recordings, but not all. Today at Kens I heard the same "problem" on those recordings so those were not Quad's fault. I can hear the very slightest plasticish tone but it is so easy to sink into the music and it is so subtle that it is not worth mentioning. It is only noticable in contrast to paper full range single drivers which are delicious tone, but more distorted, in a good way! Quad is not delicious it is accurate. Big difference, but both are good.

(click)
I listened to this record today, some at Kens and the whole 5th at home. Super! Big ballsy, brassy, perfectly recorded Shosty manly-man symphonies. It could use another 10Hz on the bottom though, in both systems. Kens had a little lower louder bass but the Quads bass is cleaner. Oooh that mac is incredible. My tube religious faith is being tested. Carl you are a bad influence on tube devotees.

Some pics of the room now:

Today I was thinking how cool it would be to have a couple/few systems set up in different rooms for the meet. There's enough gear here to do it, so I will try. My wife will shit with 3 rooms dedicated to audio. "It's just for one day, dear..." "Yeah, but that day 2 weeks away!" :oops: haha
Rich

canyoneagle

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Great pics of the new arrangement, congrats!   :D/
Do you find that the open space on the right affects symmetry of the soundscape?

Happy listening,
Michael

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
Do you find that the open space on the right affects symmetry of the soundscape?

Good eyes Michael! I didn't think about that until the damage was all done, and yes I did hear it. But since the sound thrown to the sides is so soft, it only manifested as a slight tilt of the image to the left  :? - center panned voices were about 3 degrees to the left. I finally figured out how to fix it by sliding the left speaker backwards closer to the front wall by about an inch and a half. Crazy psychoacoustics!! The brain and hearing system is truly amazing. Now the image is straight again, no side effects that I can tell, yet. A cool trick for the toolkit.
Happy listening to you too!! I wish there was a way to teleport to share our systems easily.
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
My quest to find a tube-like amp in the mids with SS authority has been long and arduous.  The MC402 (or 501's) represent 5+ years trying to find the right balance of tube and SS with the least amount of compromise.  Ever since I bought the 402 I haven't heard anything else I'd rather have (other than their big brother, the 501's)... I bought it over a year ago so, that's definitely a new record.  I'm glad you're enjoying it... The convenience factor is ridiculously high on that amp also...  I hope to hear it in my room one day...  :drool:  (drooling)

I think the 3-room thing sounds great... but maybe a little ambitious... Maybe just do 2... I may not be much help on the upcoming event.. depends on my hand... (I dislocated a finger and sprained it)  Typing hurts. :(  But who knows... a little Arnica, ice, and Advil might speed things up.. I hope so.

-Carl
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 07:53:15 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »
Fun with Quad's....looks good Rich. 8)

Good luck with setting up a few systems....why not....
just to compare...its always a fun experience.

And Carl....sorry to hear about the finger...a little Oban might help... ;)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 06:28:26 AM »
Thanks Chris. We are "decluttering" the house this week, which in theory should leave 2 rooms empty, which are currently full of high fi boxes, workbench, and useless junk. The idea is to put systems in there temporarily for the meet, but there is no way to seal off the rooms, they have no doors so not sure it will work, but I will try it out.

Seems a shame to have gear piled up not being heard. Shane's Ushers are still for sale, so it would be nice to have them playing with everyone over. We had so much fun with them last time. I'm hooking them up today to get some low bass back in my life, and dig the Korato too.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »
New tubes went in the Snappers today. Only one year old, but they were getting very weak and 2 had blown already. I play the amps almost every day for 10-12 or more hours, so it adds up. It made a big difference in power and confidence. They handle the Quads much better now, although I think it is still a little underpowered. I think I heard some clipping on loud organ music.  But the rest is awesome. God I love tube amps - the breath of life! I just need 200W! That second hundred is expensive! Time for DIY????

I can feel the absorbtion in the front wall now. With the mac I could not feel it there. More fine tuning of the setup to come. Funny, bass feels better on the Snappers than the mac. Snapper has 5ohm output tap, mac is set to 8ohms. I should try the 4ohm tap for curiosity.

My 7yo Henry helped me replace the tubes this morning. He did everything except the final bias. The hypersensitive pot adjustment is beyond his patience. He tried it about ten times then got pissed. I told him I feel exactly the same way, but I still have 7 more to do. He said, "OK I'm going to pull weeds," and ran off. If that's not the perfect argument against tube amps, I don't know what is. Rather pull weeds...  :D 2 hours later the first bias process is almost done (with lots of listening.) But it sounds great - Snapper is back! The Quads LOVE tube amps.
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »
looking good Rich. Enjoy.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.