Author Topic: My Latest Project, MTM OBs  (Read 12174 times)

ebag4

My Latest Project, MTM OBs
« on: December 30, 2007, 07:27:39 AM »
Hey guys, I posted this on AC and Hawthorne but I thought I would post here as well in case we have any OB fans here:

Attached are pics of a speaker I just built using Danny's (GR Research) OB5/7 MTM section and a separately amplified Hawthorne audio Augie OB bass driver.  The results are outstanding (subjectively, no measurements yet), I get Danny's excellent MTM sound with the OB bass I have come to love.  The 15" Augie is plenty of bass for my small (10.5'x12.5'x8' room), there is no boom, only clean articulate bass.  These have only been in service for a day although I did burn in the crossovers and drivers while I was finishing the baffles.  I am extremely happy with this compliment of drivers/components.  The MTMs are powered by my battery driven 41hz Amp4 w/Jensen PIO input coupling caps, the Augies are driven by Infinity OVTR1 bass amps (100 watts).  The source is a Bolder Analog modded SB3 with VH bypass caps.  More info to come once I have had more time to listen and measure. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: My Latest Project, MTM OBs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:07:12 AM »
WOW! 

Looking good man. Hope they sound as good as they look. Very impressive indeed. What was your budget ?

rollo     
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
I really like the way those look.  Danny's OB top is sweet.  Where are you crossing to the Augie?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:23:26 PM »
Thanks guys. 

My budget is always a little as possible ;).  Actually, I have used the Augies in my last 4 speakers.  Danny will sell the top setion of the OB5/7 separately, that was less than $600.  A couple hundred for the amps and materials and I ended up with this for around $1K.

The bass amps have a built in crossover at 200Hz which is where Danny's bass section comes in, it worked out well and sounds great!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
Nice job ebag!! I'm about to start a similar OB project with full range drivers on top and maybe Augies on the bottom. So your post is inspirational to me. I love the bass baffles - very swanky! I bet they sound awesome.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:42:59 AM »
Thanks guys. 

My budget is always a little as possible ;).  Actually, I have used the Augies in my last 4 speakers.  Danny will sell the top setion of the OB5/7 separately, that was less than $600.  A couple hundred for the amps and materials and I ended up with this for around $1K.

The bass amps have a built in crossover at 200Hz which is where Danny's bass section comes in, it worked out well and sounds great!

Bang for the buck. That baby would go for $5500 retail with a $1000 cost. Would love to hear em. Very impressive concept and execution. Happy new year.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.