Author Topic: Single driver full range speakers  (Read 45359 times)

canyoneagle

System pics
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
Here's a link to some pics of the current system    :)

http://www.audiocircle.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2143

Okay, time to close the blinds and listen...........

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Single driver full range speakers
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »
Looks cool!! I think that software you are talking about is from RPG, about $100. There is another from Germany I think, more powerful, but I never tried either. I think the RPG version is just a rectangular room with fixed height. Please report if you get to try it out!!

canyoneagle

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 06:34:47 PM »
I'll check into the software.
Looks like I'll be moving to Northern Idaho soon - the job is too good for me to pass up.  So, the room configuration will change.

Any AN'ers or AC'ers in the Spokane / Coeur D'Alene area?

I look forward to the move........

PS - My boss might be selling his Wilson system (Watt/Puppy 6, multichannel with subs) for half of what he bought it on A'gon.  I'll keep ya posted if he does.

Warmly,
Michael

Offline richidoo

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
Congrats Canyon!!! That is cool. Good luck with the move.

We have our own personal acoustic analyzer program right here, in the flesh, called 'bpape'... Type in your question and you get a personalized response!

canyoneagle

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »
LOL!
I've seen BPAPE's many posts, and would love his input.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »
When you get settled in your new place, post a sketch and some pics of the room and we'll work on it.  Gotta get the priorities straight.  Audio system gets set up first during a move!

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »
Word!  I always do that.  My wife thinks I'm nuts but I gotta have tunes while I'm working.

If you ever get out west to Seattle, there are some nutty fun guys out here with some pretty nice setups.  You'd be welcome to join just about any time.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
Audio system gets set up first during a move!

Right! I scheduled the Legacys to be delivered day after we moved in. I used a kitchen chair in the sweet spot for a long while.

Michael, at least when you go to look for a new pad, you can have an eye on acoustics. Check out Realtraps modecalc to help you evaluate bass modes in any room you're considering for audio. Adding treatment improves bass even more, but you can avoid the nutso weird shapes that are hard to fix.

canyoneagle

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:39 AM »
Fortunately, my wife is a music lover as well, so the audio stuff is last packed, first out   8)

It is funny - I AM considering acoustics as we are house hunting.
Bryan - thanks for the offer to provide some input once I get settled in a new place.  I'll definitely give you a shout.
Mike - I'll plan some trips to Seattle for sure!!!!!!

Cheers,
Michael

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 10:03:44 AM »
REAL rooms are not going to be perfect - just the way it is.  The BIG things to look for:

- Can I set up the system symmetrically?
- Can I set it up and not have to have my seat slammed against a wall behind me?
- Is the room large enough to support the kinds of speakers I want/have and have them set up correctly?
- Where is the room located with regard to bedrooms for the SO or kids?
- Is it a stupid room that has every corner messed up with switches, doors, windows, etc.?
- Is it easy to rewire just that room with a dedicated circuit so you're not sharing a line with flourescents, motors, mechanical dimmers, etc?

Oh, and high ceilings are a bonus.  Lots of glass on the walls or tile floors are a negative.

Wood floors can sound great but they need to be tamed with a large area rug between you and the speakers.

Enjoy the journey.  My wife learned a long time ago that when we go house shopping (we've lived in IL, IA, AL, CO, NJ, MO) that we have to have at least 1 good room for the audio system.  Next house is our last and I'll be designing that from the ground up  8)  :D/  Sounds like you've got a keeper too.  :clap:

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

canyoneagle

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2008, 10:10:27 AM »
Thanks Bryan,
I definitely want to spend time properly treating the listening space in our next house.
Fortunately, I don't have to worry about AC noise - I'm battery powered (except the Rega)  8)

Like you, I will (one day) be building a home from scratch.  We'll be going COMPETELY natural - local timber, adobe/cob from our land, earth plasters, and a tamped earth floor (looks like stained concrete but MUCH more resilient and warm).
We love area rugs on our floors and walls, so we can manage most of the immediate nasties there.

I do look forward to our likely move.  I want to really spend time optimizing the sound of the room.

Until we make our final move to our land (fully off the grid) I may treat myself to a deephemp sub to get the most out of the system while AC juice is available    :D

We had some friends over last night for sushi - an Aussie co-worker of mine and her husband, who (as I learned last night) is an audiophool too.  I was extremely aware of the inproper room treatments as we did some listening, and he noticed it as well.  He had never heard single-drivers and was amazed by the smoothness of the midrange, and felt that the room was not allowing the highs to shine.

Who knows, I may end up doing some 'quickie' temporary treatments until we move.  It's really hard with those windows, though.  Maybe a really thick blanket (down comforter) hung across the windows?

EDIT:  I am considering some GIK panels (3 in front, 4 in the front corners, 4 on the sides at the first reflection, 3 on the ceiling).  I would move these to the new place and then assess if additional treatments would be necessary (with advice from you lot, of course)  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 04:51:46 PM by canyoneagle »