Author Topic: TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE  (Read 6543 times)

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: TRIODE WIRE LABS SPLIT DATA AND POWER USB CABLE
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »
Prototype adapter for iFi +5VDC coaxial to USB cable Mini-XLR connector.

Checked and +5VDC on center pin, sleeve is GND.

Now to seal the wiring up and give it a try.
:thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »
  Confused. Are you using the iFi to power the power leg of the USB cable instead of the server port ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:46:01 AM »
My dspMusik digital crossover/8 channel DAC needs to see 5VDC on the USB port to talk.  Trying to clean up the noise from the PC side by eliminating the USB 5V from the PC.

The cable was originally built by Dave to work with his BatteryBUSS.  Adapting it to the iFi 5V PS for use.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
 OK. Would a separate battery [5V] or a iFi [5V] wall wart make a difference over using another port for power connection of USB ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dBe

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
OK. Would a separate battery [5V] or a iFi [5V] wall wart make a difference over using another port for power connection of USB ?

charles
The short answer is yes.  Avoiding the common noise present between USB ports on the attached device is a good thing. However, and this is a BIG HOWEVER, the 3 pole filter that is in the power leg of the Split Power pretty well renders that question moot.  Also, the ground configuration in the Split power isolates the grounds between the transport, computer or streamer and the DAC or renderer.

So, this is a qualified "Nope".

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
  A good "Nope" that is. You guys did the engineering and I got the benefit. Well done.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
Dave, If I am using the split cable to connect a DAC that has its own power supply and does not draw power via the USB port would I be better off just connecting the data side and leaving the power side of the split unconnected. It would seem logical that not having a power connection to the PC at all would be better than trying to clean up the messy power that the PC sends over. Is there a benefit or a need to keeping the power connected even if you are not using is (like does the DAC need to see a ground reference from the PC that it looks for on the power pins of the USB connection?)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dBe

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Dave, If I am using the split cable to connect a DAC that has its own power supply and does not draw power via the USB port would I be better off just connecting the data side and leaving the power side of the split unconnected. It would seem logical that not having a power connection to the PC at all would be better than trying to clean up the messy power that the PC sends over. Is there a benefit or a need to keeping the power connected even if you are not using is (like does the DAC need to see a ground reference from the PC that it looks for on the power pins of the USB connection?)
Most DACs are going to need the ground reference provided in the Power side of the cable.  There is not one in the Data link because of the possibility of RF floating around on it.

Bottom line is to try it.  Can't hurt anything other than possibly not seeing the source.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 08:27:39 AM »
   Well now that this cable is fully broken in. BUY ONE. So smooth yet accurate. Very well done in all areas of sonic bliss. Worth every penny spent.

charles

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
Got my moded PI split USB cable on Monday from Dave.   Setup with my iFi iPower adapter for 5VDC. 

Now to compare the two versions I have from Dave.  One is a very early version. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
Got my moded PI split USB cable on Monday from Dave.   Setup with my iFi iPower adapter for 5VDC. 

Guess I got Dave thinking. It only makes sense. Anxious to hear your findings. Merry Christmas.

charles

Offline dBe

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »

Guess I got Dave thinking. It only makes sense. Anxious to hear your findings. Merry Christmas.

charles
The one Rich has is the earliest version.  It does not have the power filter that is what makes the TWL/PI Split Power cable so special.  Also, even though the data conductors are the same wire, the materials processing aspect of the wire is very different.  This is what POOGE brings to the table. Build, test, learn, refine.