Author Topic: Favorite ICs?  (Read 11420 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Favorite ICs?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 04:56:09 AM »
Very cool Phil...   8)   http://www.kubala-sosna.com/

Which model do you have? How does it compare to Grover's, with which many of us are familiar? Thanks
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:56:00 AM »
....... I remain a fan of the Grovers (that is why I haven't sold them).  In some systems, they might be as much as anyone needs.  Certainly a great place to start, and perhaps, to end.

I feel exactly the same way about the Grover SC IC's.  They are good.  They may be all a system needs... just depends on the system, regardless of the cost of that system.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get synergy with cabling to no avail.  I generally like the sound of copper but I like silver too, just depends.  I found the speaker cable to be the hardest to get right.  They have been the PRaT maker or breaker a lot of times... which is an important element to me.  Much experimentation is required to get it right.  IC's have an influence on PRaT but not as much.  They always seem to have a character and series of compromises to gain something... Or, they're veiled or harsh in the upper mids.  (most sub-100 cables have the latter that I've heard)

The compromises diminish more and more the higher end you go, it seems.  And choosing balanced or single-ended makes more difference than the type of cable in some cases... There are just so many variables (including your tastes, hearing, etc.) that a formula can't be made... Which is the reason the cable industry is wide-open to such a large variety of approaches. 

Unfortunately there are only x-number of 'audiophiles' that care and it seems an infinite number of cable manufacturers (or 'assemblers') out there.  And most of them are stabbing in the dark.  The few that use some science seem to do well... Kimber Kable being one of them.  I rarely hear them mentioned but they did a lot for the cable industry and I liked my PBJ's quite a bit.  (I still use them on a turntable with great success)  So, I think that there is a science to what cable produces what sound and you could determine the best for you system... And that keeps me chasing the dream. ;)

I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
I like the latest from Grover. Couldn't afford better anyway! Regarding too much in the midrange...
I thought this too but after a very long burn in, that has settled in nicely.

Phil

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
Rich,

I have the Fascination cables (introduction to the revolutionZ line).   The overall tonality is better (in my system, to my ears, etc.) and they are more dyanamic.  Both of these qualities - great tonality and being very dynamic - are (to me) the heart of the KS sound.   Just very open sounding (unobstructed).  I found the same qualities in their power cords and speaker cables.  In short, the KS are very natural sounding and allow me to hear lots of nuance without artificial brightness.  Once I had them burned I could not find the strength to return them.  :lol:  So the rapid slope went like this:  PC, speaker cable, IC. 

I believe they are copper cables.  Some folks believe silver has a brighter sound.  I tend to believe it is all implementation, but I do like these particular copper cables.  I agree with Carl -- just so many variables, too many. 

I also like the KS upgrade policy.  Trade up within a year and you get 95% of the returned cable.  Personally, I love being able to move up the line like that.  No huge investment up front.  You can check them out and see long term (so important) how they do.   I think that some dealers also have evaluation cables that you can try out.  I haven't heard the Emotion level for ICs and speaker cables, but I found the Emotion PC to be true to its name.  The speaker cables and IC had a greater impact on the overall sound than the PC.

Shep,
Glad the Grovers are working out for you.  I did break them in for a very, very long time.  Couldn't get rid of the slight elevation of the mids.  Not a big deal, mind you, but it got me thinking about the KS once I had their PC and then the speaker cables.  Probably just the old nemesis:  wanting to try something different.

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »
Phil, I contacted Joe Kubala of KS Research and heard back from him right away with loads of info, dealer contact, etc.  Very professional. We'll see where it leads.  I will post the PDFs that he attached for those curious about the wires. Lookin forward to learning more about the line. 
Thanks Phil,
Rich

Phil

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:42:21 PM »
Rich,

Great.  Very curious what you think if you give them a listen.  If Brent Rainwater is on your list of dealers, I would suggest contacting him - brainwater@sc.rr.com.  He is a good guy (since I don't have a dealer in my area, I went to Brent, who also handles APLHifi sources.  I have an APLHifi re-designed Denon 3910). 

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
Brent is my only dealer. Thanks for the reference.

canyoneagle

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »
I've been very pleased with my Omegaudio/Hudson (Audiopath) 'R' Interconnects.  They are on the warm side, which are a nice compliment to my sigle-driver speakers.  I also use the Omegaudio/Hudson 'R' speaker cables with Cardas spades.  I'm very pleased with them.

In years past, I really liked my Audio Technica OFC/ceramic cables for their absolute transparency with my bigger system.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 03:32:31 AM »
....... I remain a fan of the Grovers (that is why I haven't sold them).  In some systems, they might be as much as anyone needs.  Certainly a great place to start, and perhaps, to end.

I feel exactly the same way about the Grover SC IC's.  They are good.  They may be all a system needs... just depends on the system, regardless of the cost of that system.
Ditto.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis