Author Topic: Congratulations Triode Wire Labs  (Read 12056 times)

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
Re: Congratulations Triode Wire Labs
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:01 PM »
Pete,

Your love of the hobby is illuminating my system right now.  Your power cables have pretty much taken over the IECs of all my components. 

Great work and congrats on the recognition!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »

...... :beer:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »
Pete's cords are among the top 3 I've heard in my system, so (to me) that's really saying something... I am pretty picky. ;)

Hope you continue to get great reviews, Pete.  It'd be nice to get one from someone with a dedicated 2-channel system.  But glad to hear about the projector improvement... That got me to thinking I should try one on mine. :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
One of my favorite audio blogs just put out a nice mini review of the TWL power cords.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/09/24/mini-review-triode-wire-labs-seven-plus/

One day I'll have some TWL cords in my system.

Now on a different note I was looking on the Audiogon forum and there was a user who posted this regarding the TWL cords.

Again this is not my questions just relaying what I read. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

"09-27-12: Dalig
My 2 cents: if the selling point of this cable is the Litz braiding as the review seems to imply -- it might as well have none.

This helps for the skin effect, which is non-existent as 60Hz. But worse, the power cable only carries one frequency, so it makes a Litz braiding quite useless. The idea is, when you send a multiplexed signal (that is, many frequencies together), the skin effect makes the resistance of the cable be larger for higher frequencies. In effect, it tones down the higher frequency (think of it as a low pass filter). Now if you have 1 frequency, it seriously does not matter, just increase the power at the input if you can.

To rephrase, the review is correct when saying that Litz increases the bandwith. But here, we have a signal (power signal) with a bandwith of zero!

So why would one want this cable -- that is, for rational reasons? "

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »
One of my favorite audio blogs just put out a nice mini review of the TWL power cords.

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/09/24/mini-review-triode-wire-labs-seven-plus/

One day I'll have some TWL cords in my system.

Now on a different note I was looking on the Audiogon forum and there was a user who posted this regarding the TWL cords.

Again this is not my questions just relaying what I read. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

"09-27-12: Dalig
My 2 cents: if the selling point of this cable is the Litz braiding as the review seems to imply -- it might as well have none.

This helps for the skin effect, which is non-existent as 60Hz. But worse, the power cable only carries one frequency, so it makes a Litz braiding quite useless. The idea is, when you send a multiplexed signal (that is, many frequencies together), the skin effect makes the resistance of the cable be larger for higher frequencies. In effect, it tones down the higher frequency (think of it as a low pass filter). Now if you have 1 frequency, it seriously does not matter, just increase the power at the input if you can.

To rephrase, the review is correct when saying that Litz increases the bandwith. But here, we have a signal (power signal) with a bandwith of zero!

So why would one want this cable -- that is, for rational reasons? "

Thanks, sleepyguy24!

FYI, the use of Litz braiding in my power cord construction is one of my techniques for noise reduction. It's a bit tedious for my wife to braid, but well worth the effort in providing a very quiet, black background on the component(s) it's plugged into...

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 11:21:42 AM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »

So why would one want this cable -- that is, for rational reasons? "[/i]

Well that's an easy question to answer - you would want one because I haven't heard a single piece of equipment in my house that did not sound significantly better when powered through a TWL cord.

Not that I am trying to say that these cords will work with every piece of gear out there (synergy, synergy, synergy) but I am trying to say that when it comes to audio gear there comes a time to put aside theory and just evaluate with our ears. Just because you can't explain or understand how something works doesn't mean that it can't work in your system. And you are really doing yourself a disservice as an audiophile if you only listen to things that you understand.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

DaveC

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »
I think that agon poster confused litz braiding with litz wire. Litz wire is many fine strands of individually insulated wire in a bundle, usually NOT braided. It reduces skin effect at high freqs as mentioned. Litz braid is used to reduce external interference, so it should act as a noise filter in a power cord.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
All I can I add is that Bill, (Eleazar and/or P-man) and I put a TWL 7 on my PS Audio Quintet, and where slapped in the face by the improvement. Then a TWL 12 on my DAC, same result.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
I got a hold of Pete's used and improved 8 Plus and have now tried it on all my equipment with iecs(except amp). Can't wait to come up with the scratch to have them on more equipment at the same time. On source equipment sound did improve on that piece. Improvement when on the pre changed all source but not as drastic as on the source. I haven't tried the 8Plus on the amp yet but will in near future.
Pete has a great product and I wish him and his family the best.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.