Author Topic: Speaker wire connection preference;  (Read 11955 times)

AcidJazz

Speaker wire connection preference;
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:32:52 PM »
When wiring up a speaker with individual terminals for bass, mid, and tweeter, using a single run, would you terminate at the midrange and then jumper to the bass and tweeter, or to the tweeter and then jumper to the mid and bass?

Personally I would choose going to the midrange, then jumpering to the bass and tweeter.  Because I feel the midrange conveys the "soul" of the music, I would give the nod to that configuration.
How does other audiophiles feel about this?

lonewolfny42

Re: Speaker wire connection preference;
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »
I'd think you should experiment with all the many combo's....and listen.

Then you'll know for sure....

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 06:32:25 AM »
I'd think you should experiment with all the many combo's....and listen.

Then you'll know for sure....

Conventional wisdom is to the woofer section then jumpers from bass to mid and mid to tweeter section. However as Chris points out experiment with different scenarios until your boat floats.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »
I have always found going from bass to tweet sounds best.. but I always experiment first just to be sure...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
I like to terminate at the tweeter since that's where most of the "detail" comes from.  Why chance losing any to additional connections.  Or even better, open up the speaker and wire all three pairs of wires to a single pair of binding posts.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
An amp that needs a little help on the bottom will like the bass posts. Whichever you want to emphasize should get the direct connection. Contact enhancer will help the performance of the jumper link, and a good link is important. If you can biwire it will make both treble/mid and bass give their best.

Another option is to connect the internal wire lugs together on one set of posts. Tape off the unused posts so you don't try to use them inadvertently, and reconnect it before you sell!

Ecramer

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:29:58 PM »
(+) on tweeter (-) on woofer/ bass Some audio fool told me this is the way the true audio guys do it. The guy had really good ears and i wasn't going to debate him so i immulated him

ED :thumb:

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »
I connect to the tweeter terminals to get the cleanest possible high end.

HumanMedia

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »
(+) on tweeter (-) on woofer/ bass Some audio fool told me this is the way the true audio guys do it. The guy had really good ears and i wasn't going to debate him so i immulated him

I have 3 pair of binding posts and tried all three combinations of  bass/bass, mid/mid, tweeter/tweeter and yes each emphasized the driver the cable was primarilt connected.

But I would have never thought of plus to tweeter and neg to woofer!

Might have to try this.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
I tried Ed's diagonal connection, By George I think it's better!

Thanks Ed!  Nice free tweak.

Edit: Now mids and bass are both strong and clear, just like biwire without using two sets.

Edit again: Oh yeah, this is a LOT better. Midrange tone is a lot more dense, more impact, more tactile sound. On my system this is a worthwhile change.

Did anybody else try this yet?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:28:54 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
I just bi-wire. End of problem.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 07:52:57 AM »
I tried Ed's diagonal connection, By George I think it's better!

Thanks Ed!  Nice free tweak.

Edit: Now mids and bass are both strong and clear, just like biwire without using two sets.

Edit again: Oh yeah, this is a LOT better. Midrange tone is a lot more dense, more impact, more tactile sound. On my system this is a worthwhile change.

Thats a new one to me. Wow. Cool. Learn something new every day. OK then now we can afford the Aluminata in single wire form. Well worth the experiment especially since bi wiring wit the good stuff can get expensive quick.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

Excellent recco. Menioned to my buddy who biwires. He calls me back cursing me out. I say WTF is wrong, he says if you would have told me this 6 months ago I would have saved a lot of money on the bi wire set. The change was for the better. Makes sense really , less resistance, impedance, capacitance. keep it simple.   When I said I just heard about it he then started cursing out the cable manfs for not telling us this before. Everybody blames the cable guys, its not them its the marketing of such. BTW JPS for all my new motto.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 06:28:10 PM »

Just tried it now that I'm using the SC3 speaker cables with jumpers instead of SC+ biwires.   Tighter, deeper base and richer mids.... so why the hell does this have much of any effect?  My left brain is in need of an explanation while my right brain is sitting here loving what it's hearing.

P.S... I first tried it the reverse of the recommended and found a diminished bass.  Reread the post, reversed the cables and .... nice!

Bigfish8

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »
You guys have me excited to get home and try this out tomorrow evening.   :thumb:

Ken