Author Topic: Cheap ("inexpensive") termination recommendation  (Read 13780 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Cheap ("inexpensive") termination recommendation
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »
Not too bad at all! 

Is the DCX ready to go?  Any mods on that puppy?

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
The DCX is "ready to go" as far as being operational. I just got everything wired up and the settings (remotely controlled through my computer) figured out a few minutes ago.
As far as it being modded, no....I need to recover financially from "life" and the unpleasant things it has to offer before I can mod it.
Since the DCX is (now) a very integral part of music, movies, and gaming, I'd hate to remove it from the system long enough to take it apart and mod it. When the time comes, my wet dream would be to purchase another DCX and mod it. Then when it's done, I can slip it into the system and be able to perform a direct A/B comparison. But the biggest factor would be not having the system "down" for as long as it will take to mod it.
Besides, when the time comes to mod it, I'll be having a lot of questions for somebody:roll:

So far today, I've got rough settings for two channel music, so I'm pretty happy right now.
Ideally, I'd have to have dozens of settings for different "moods".
For instance;
- Two channel -- Coax full range (however much of the spectrum they can handle)
- Two Channel -- Coax full range down to 80(ish), then the 15" Augies take over to their natural roll off.
- Two Channel -- Coax to 80(ish), Augies to 30(ish), the Infinite Baffle down to natural roll off.

Of course I'll need different settings for movies on the two DVD sources I have, multichannel music from those same sources, all of which will be with and without the Infinite Baffle, and Augies, etc.....
I can foresee myself having LOTS of settings to play with.  :drool:

My son has commandeered the PS3 and is playing a shooter game. So of course, I've got to optimize the settings for that, and save them as "PS3-Gaming".

Ohh.....life is good...... Life is fun.....  :D
Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 06:03:33 PM »
Sounds cool. I have a DCX with Didden mod installed, but no PS or clock upgrades. It still needs final finishing up, but then you can try it if you want to hear what it sounds like. I probably won't mod it any further.

I like the idea of Endler's cap coupled direct outputs for the DCX. But I also like the idea of PC based digital crossover too, so I will probably pursue that at some point.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
As far as the PC part of it is concerned, all you need is a RS-232 cable. If our PC doesn't have that available as an input, I can link you to a nice (cheap) RS-232 to USB dongle. If memory serves, I spent $25 for the cable which was almost 30' long.
Regarding the upgrades, I've got so many questions....and even more questions I don't even know to ask. Basically, "I have a soldering pencil and I'm not afraid to use it" type attitude. I'm more than willing, I just don't know where to start.
The PC part of it doesn't require any modding, or at least I don't think modding will effect sounds quality when it comes to the PC part of it. I think the PC is just "the slave" not part of the circuit.

Bob

mgalusha

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
Bob,

A new item appeared in the Yahoo DCX2496 list today. You would have to source the parts but this is a killer price for the board. :)

mike

Hello

I do have PCB for this digital input/clock unit
http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/Behringer-Input-Stage-E.htm
I do sell them for 5 (five)US dollars + shipping. This price is what I paid. I do not have any profit selling them, so I hope it is ok to advertise here on this forum.

Eivind Stillingen, Norway

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »
Ohhh! That looks very nice. I'll check the discussion board. I signed up a long time ago, but became frustrated with the layout and organization of the site. I had a heckuva time navigating.

Mike, just off the top of your head, what's the rough cost of the mod?

Thanks!!
Bob

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:41:48 PM »
Bob,

A similar setup from Pilgham Audio in The Netherlands is 80 Euros for the kit. This is similar but larger and likely easier to build. I'd guess perhaps $50 in parts. Last time I checked the AD and CS chips were fairly expensive.

The stock digital input of the DCX is not particularly good, they route the digital signal through a relay and some ribbon cable. Even without replacing the clock/SRC just bypassing all the gunk with some nice coax and reterminating with a 75R resistor is worth the effort.

The one thing you have to know about the DCX's... The traces on the board are fragile, as in they will lift with the slightest provocation. A product called ChipQuik is your friend, trust me on this, it's worth the $12 and then some.

And yeah, the yahoo site sucks. I subscribe via email and never visit the site unless I want something from the files section.

mike

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
Well that's not too expensive. I had it in my mind the DCX mod was like $800 or so.
Maybe that was a much more extensive mod than just the input board??

I've hear the PC boards were delicate. I didn't know the traces came off, I thought it was the actual board was fragile due to being very thin. I've not seen the inside of one yet, but I'm dying to peel the cover off.
Good to know about the ribbon cable.

I'll look at the Yahoo site and see if I can find a parts list.

Mike. Great information. Thank you very much.

I've not done too much critical listening yet, but from the PC chair (you could call it "2nd row, center stage") it sounds pretty darn good so far. Still tweaking XO points, and channel gains for the various input sources, plus getting a feel for the software.

Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 01:58:39 PM »
Mike, that PCB is on it's way. Thank you for the heads-up on that. And also on the ChipQuik. That's one I wouldn't have figured out on my own.

Thanks!!!
Bob