Author Topic: JPS thoughts?  (Read 26086 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: JPS thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:19 AM »
Just be ready for a hefty pricetag, Chris.. It's tough to swallow 2 pairs of IC's and a set of SC's... especially of the SC3 variety.  Retail prices would put you around 5,k for that setup.  Even if you could get them used for half price, that's still 2500!  For cables!  I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the cheaper Ultraconductors for now and get SC3's after I do some crossover work on my speakers.  I think the uppermids/highs are just a bit overdone.. or there is some harshness that might be cured with upgraded caps and such.

Then, it could be argued, if I got the x-over upgrades I'd be rewarded with better sound overall with the SC3's..

The SC3's image in a way I haven't experienced with other cables.  They have absolute tonal accuracy and gracefully keep all the details intact.  I mean, what more could you want?  The only thing I know of would be a more relaxed sound.  They're not hyped up but they're not relaxed.  But I'm thinking that might be my speakers since every cable and component I've tried seems to have issues in this area.. So, that's why I'm upgraded the x-over parts first.. I like the speakers enough to keep them and work it out.

I have to wonder if the Aluminata's really offer up that much more.  Or, is what they offer worth it? 

Oh well, back to work..

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
all right now...  it seems like I'm being portrayed as some evil schemer who's rubbing my hands together and cackling "Bwwwahahahahahaha!  Got another one!" :) :)

I resemble that remark and I don't like it :) hehe

I've been through a LOT of different cables over the years.  I shudder to think of all the different ones I've built and bought, not to mention the number that have been sent to me to try to see if I'd take them on.... None of them do what the JPS does.  Some have come close.... but cost as much or usually more than the equivalent JPS model... it really blows that it costs as much as it does to get the JPS love.  Trust me, I know.  I still have to buy and pay for all my demo cables.  So remember... it could be worse.  You could be like me and have paid for multiple examples of almost everything in the line and have multiple rooms and numerous systems completely outfitted with the stuff... it's not a cheap endeavor....  so buy some cables to help pay for mine, darn it!! :)

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 06:06:51 AM »
There is no perfect cable since every system and room is different... but in my experience both at my place and at Carl's, the JPS SC3 come closest...   I completely agree with Carl's description.  In my system, they are also relaxed and highly musical yet totally engaging.  

But yes, the SC3 carry a serious price tag.  And in truth, we haven't been comparing them to other cables up in that price range (and certainly not in the Aluminata stratosphere range).   I suspect there are other equally good cables at equally high prices, but we've yet to find anything close that is significantly cheaper.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 07:59:09 AM »
Some cables are for wrapping your head around, but JPS, especially SC3 and Aluminata are for opening your heart to the music. Intended for those who sit down to be moved by music and want to intensify that connection. Especially Aluminata, it provides the control and detail of SC3 with a gentler nurturing feeling. It is as emotional a piece of gear as a tube preamp or paper driver, but I know it is not based on euphonic distortion because it never gets in the way as euphonic distortion inevitably always does. We just don't realize how much music is lost to wire. JPS minimizes the loss.

Some of that intensity you hear Carl is from your diffusion especially in presence range where midrange detail is so evident. The SC3 cables are just clearer and cleaner than the others, and the diffusion reduces reflections, so you are getting a pile up of clarity. I noticed the same tonal intensity when I had diffusion in my room, a lot less than you. Distortion is tough to give up, but feels good once you get used to the new clarity.

If you look at the price from the perspective that you might try many other wires before discovering the end of the rainbow with JPS, you could save a lot of money by buying JPS right off the bat. Maybe that's the point of this thread, a way for people to hear from owners how JPS has affected their enjoyment of the hobby, and also saved money! The highest tiers of JPS are expensive relative to the $500-1000 socially acceptable price range we are accustomed to. But when I've compared JPS to wire of equivalent price, it has always won, even in the lower tiers. It would be fun to compare Tara, MIT and Transparent's best to Aluminata! The UltraConductor2 ICs demonstrated at Carls recent G2G were astonishing compared to the wires preceding and following it. The SuperConductor Q SCs were astonishing compared to similar priced SCs at my last g2g and at Carls last. I upgraded from $80 Anticables to SC3 for my second SCs and it was a great money saving decision because I know I would have bought other cables and lost money on them while searching. Since then I have recommended them to 3 people who have bought and are glad to be done with wire nervosa.  But I do still want Aluminatas after living with them for 2 months.

But you really have to hear it to understand. It's not something you can easily put into words, and if you try you will just sound like a gushing schoolgirl.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
Bryan...

How goes the audition ? Thanks... :D

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 06:05:25 AM »
Got to sit and just listen for a little while yesterday.  I'm not  a professional writer but my general impressions are:

- Very clean and detailed without being bright or edgy.  Brings the event a few rows closer.

- Dead quiet.  Lots of opportunity for micro-dynamics and low level harmonics to come through without being masked.

- Solid, tight, controlled bottom end.  No blurring or artificial excitation of the midbass trying to pass for extension.

- Beautiful midrange.  Excellent harmonic structure and balance.  Everything is there but nothing draws attention to itself artificially.

- Better image focus.  More space around the instruments when called for but 'en-mass' is still blended nicely. 

Overall, a very pleasant (and not small) change to pretty much everything about the system. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

lonewolfny42

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks Bryan..... :beer:

Bigfish8

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
Got to sit and just listen for a little while yesterday.  I'm not  a professional writer but my general impressions are:

- Very clean and detailed without being bright or edgy.  Brings the event a few rows closer.

- Dead quiet.  Lots of opportunity for micro-dynamics and low level harmonics to come through without being masked.

- Solid, tight, controlled bottom end.  No blurring or artificial excitation of the midbass trying to pass for extension.

- Beautiful midrange.  Excellent harmonic structure and balance.  Everything is there but nothing draws attention to itself artificially.

- Better image focus.  More space around the instruments when called for but 'en-mass' is still blended nicely. 

Overall, a very pleasant (and not small) change to pretty much everything about the system. 

Bryan

Bryan:

Shane, the hometheaterdoc,  was very gracious in allowing me to borrow some of his JPS cables to evaluate in my system.  As his SC-3 SCs were committed to others Rich brought his pair over to my home to allow me to hear my system with all JPS Wires.  While I have heard the impact of JPS cables installed in several of the local guy's systems during G2G's, I had never installed any of them in my system.  I believe your comments about JPS SC-3s in your system exactly reflect how my system performed with these cables.  I shuttered to think I had approximately $4600.00 worth of wires in my system and was trying to calculate how I could ever sneak the purchase by Vera! 

While together with Rich on Tuesday he made a very thought provoking comment about this hobby.  I cannot remember his exact quote but it was something to the effect that we will change amps, dacs, sources and even speakers.  We will spend substantial money on these gear changes but often will not consider expensive wires even though they might impact sound quality to the same degree as the other gear changes.  I have thought a lot about this over the past couple of days.  I don't know if JPS cables are the best cables for my system.  I can say that the sound my system produced with the SC-3's in place as ICs, and SCs was audio ear sex to my ears. 

I want to thank Shane for allowing me to evaluate several different editions of his JPS cables and thank Rich for bringing over the SC-3 SCs.  I would recommend that anyone considering new cables contact Shane and give the JPS cables an evaluation.  Your results might be totally different or you may find yourself in the same quandry I am in as you try to figure out how to keep your wife from finding out how much they cost.

Ken

philotechnic

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
My first post on AN, I had to jump in here.

I bought a Butler amp a few years ago from Shane, it turned out to be a smooth and easy transaction - the amp is still going strong.  Ken introduced me to JPS and recommended I reacquaint  myself with the HTDoc and give the SC3's a demo.  Well I've had the IC's in place for over a week now and the SC's arrived this morning, prior to this I had Gregg Straley cables throughout (which still represent incredible value).  I chose Gregg's cables after a comparison with a range of well known/high price brands and the buy decision was based on their sonic capabilities. 

I told Ken that the SC3's have had a profound effect on my system, more so than some equipment changes I've made - I'm now in the same camp as you guys, how can I justify not spending this amount of money on a suite of cables :duh  These cables are scary good.

NB
My system is: Modwright - Transporter/36.5/KWA 150 and Salk HT3's.
If this looks like a typical AC system then it must be, for transparency philotechnic is philistine on AC.  Figured you guys needed a Brit around here.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
Welcome, Phil! Glad Ken steered you in a good direction.  I too am a Straley fan... and a JPS fan. :)  Both good values in their respective price points.  Hope you enjoy the group.
-Carl

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »
Hi Phil, Welcome to AN!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »
Ken.

Glad I'm not just delusional.  I took my demo pair of IC's over to a friend's house yesterday.  Within 5 minutes, I was hearing the same things and same improvements that I did in my system.  He has a nice system:

Dynaudio Confidence 3's
Odyssey Glass Ceiling Monos
Odyssey Candella
SB3 modded by Wayne and then Chris a BPT
BPT battery PS for SB3 (This thing is a STEAL!!!!)
Meridian CDP

Mostly Groenberg and BPT cabling.

Swapping in the JPS 3 IC's had his jaw on the floor within minutes.  He's currently running the same speaker cables I do - Harmonic Tech Pro 9's.

The stage was HUGE.  DEAD, DEAD quiet, tons of space around the instruments, probably another 10' of soundstage depth.

I will be taking some of Paul (Occam) cabling (Kaplan) for power to him next week.

He's going WAY down the rabbit hole...

Bryan
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:25:38 PM by bpape »

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »
Brian- Which 3 JPS Ic's?   SC3?   

From my demo of JPS, I had 3 sets of SC3, some Ultraconductor II (going to sub plate amp) , a mixture of affordable JPS speaker cables all the way up to Aluminatas, and several power cords.  This is what convinced me to write the check.  Of course I couldn't quite rationalize keeping the aluminatas, I got the next best speaker cable- SC3.   I'm very happy with the sum of all the cables.

In my system to my ears, it was the equivalent of a major equipment upgrade ( short of new speakers )

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2009, 03:30:02 AM »
That was adding 1 pair of the SC3 interconnects between amp and preamp. 

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »
For me the combination of SC3  ICs and SCs together is a nice way to go. I heard it before, but started concentrating on the combination starting at Carl's G2G, then at Shane's last week, at Ken's this week and in my system now. I like it!!