Author Topic: JPS thoughts?  (Read 26093 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
JPS thoughts?
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
Hey guys.

OK. The wife let me off the hook for the 4th system in her office  :roll: and is thrilled with the flexibility of the little SB Boom. 

Long story short, now I can concentrate on getting interconnects for my living room system.  I need them approx 3.5 meters (preamp in cabinet to monos in rear of Acoustats). 

While I'd love to do the JPS AL's, I just don't think that's in my budget for that length.  I've paid less than that for cars...  I'll be honest, I'm having a hard time justifying close to $2k for a pair of interconnects but long length requirements will do that to you. 

Anyway, I'd like to get any impressions on the differences between the 2, the Q, and the 3 interconnects.  The jump from the 2 to the Q isn't that bad.  Q to the 3 is significant.  What do I gain in performance?

The Acoustats are very revealing and dynamic.  They'll go down to the mid-20's on the bottom and I don't want to thin that out but also want something that has some detail without edge and still keep the beautiful all tube OTL midrange coupled with single drivers.

TIA

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: JPS thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
Bryan,

Unfortunately...you will hear a noticeable difference...as you go up the JPS ladder  :(.

Unfortunate, because as you go up the ladder the price increases rather dramatically  :shock:. I temporarily used the JPS FX's before I jumped to the SC3's. With the SC3's everything sounded better; better note attack, better note decay, smoother response, more detail, good soundstaging, etc....overall a more relaxed sound without sacrificing details.

Keep a watch on A'gon...I scored a 3m pair of the SC3's for under $1K...so, if you are patient, then you might be able to catch a similar deal.

Good luck  :)!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:36 AM »
Do you need RCA single ended or XLR balanced?  I've got a 5.5M pair of RCA SC3 that would let you know what they can do.  Also, keep in mind that the SC3 is a little stiffer than a typical cable and unless you use a little force, it will require a slightly longer run than you think just to lay nicely or fit nicely.  It can be done with the measurement you think.  But not as easy as say the SuperQ which is extremely flexible.  Having said that, the SC3 is MILES more flexible than the SuperConductor 2 that it replaces.

All JPS has the same basic house flavor.  It's just the degree of the magic and resolution that improves as you move up the line... the sounds of the silence between everything (or the lack thereof) is the biggest thing that hits you as you move up the line.  Honestly, the Ultra2 and SuperQ are very good.  But the real magic starts to happen in the Super3 and once you hear the jump, you understand the more sizable jump in pricing from Q to SC3 compared to the entry level Ultra2 to SuperQ.  As Steve says below, the end result is an improvement in every way that creates an even more relaxed presentation that also has more detail.
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline stereofool

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »
Well...DUH  :duh!!!

Yes, check with Shane...he can also come up with some excellent deals, as well.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »
Bryan, I used to have a pair of Acoustats so I know what you mean.  If possible, go for the SC3.  If anyone can help you there, it's Shane.  The Q and Ultra are great bang for the buck, but there are a lot of good ICs on the market that compete at that performance.  I use Grover ICs exclusively right now and am very happy with them but if I had the $$ to spend, the SC3 (and, of course, the Aluminata) would be high on my list.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
Shane.

Thanks for the offer.  I do need RCA's on the ends.  I'll have to do some playing to use that much length if they're stiff but I'm sure I can make it happen. 

All,

Thanks for the insight.  That's what I wanted to know.  Sounds like the SC3 is the sweet spot.  This one will be interesting to explain to she who must be obeyed...   [-o<

Bryan

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:27:26 AM »
You've got me really thinking now Shane.  If I liked the 5.5 meter SC3, what would it cost me to have it reterminated as a 3.25m and a 2.25m?  That way, I can use SC3 on my LR and downstairs systems.  Just makes the cost easier to justify - maybe?

Bryan

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
...what would it cost me to have it reterminated as a 3.25m and a 2.25m? 
  Dykes =  $10
Soldering Iron = $15
2 Pair WBT RCA plugs = $200
5.5M JPS SC3 RCA =  $2800

The sound of JPS SC3 ICs on both your preamp's input and output?   

Priceless!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:55:27 AM by richidoo »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 01:31:31 PM »
Wasn't sure if that was an option or if the Alumiloy required special treatment, temp control, solder composition, etc.

Bryan

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
The SC3's are the finest IC's I've ever owned and once put into my system there was no way I was going to return them. Hoping one day I can try the Aluminata's but I'd be worried that they would find my system to their liking. :D
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 08:21:45 AM »
I was just joking, of course...  I would let JPS do it, for performance and for resale value.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »
The SC3's are the finest IC's I've ever owned and once put into my system there was no way I was going to return them. Hoping one day I can try the Aluminata's but I'd be worried that they would find my system to their liking. :D

That's kind of what I'm worried about.  I tried one of Paul's (Occam) power cords and ended up buying 3 more.  I do what to get these right on the upstairs system. Long runs can always be problematic.  The opportunity to do this and get the same kind of performance in the other system too is a very tempting proposition.

Bryan

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Although I'm sure they still need some burn-in, the SC3's sound outstanding even 'cold'.  I have them burning in downstairs in the HT room with the Odyssey's and the Dynaudios.  Once they have 100 hrs or so on them, I'll take a serious listen and then move them upstairs and see what they're made of.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
Great Bryan... they're nice wires. People say break in is tough, but they were so much better than my previous wires I didn't really notice the ups and downs. The Aluminata jumper wires must have required a much longer break in period, because I gave up on those eventually.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »
Is 100 hrs enough?  Should I wait a bit longer before I sit down seriously?

Bryan