Author Topic: Locus Design "Axis " USB Cable.  (Read 17300 times)

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Locus Design "Axis " USB Cable.
« on: January 07, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
 Since my digital front end has changed from a modified Squeezebox with just about every option available at the time to a Macbook Pro now as my source as my work/office computer took a dump a couple months back so I had to replace with the Macbook Pro as it was highly recommended to me and to also be able to use the Ipod Touch in conjunction with its remote possibilities but to finance this replacement something had to go so the Squeezebox was sacrificed.
 I liked the extra jump factor that the Mac provided although it had a little bite on the top that was glaring and annoying upon first listen. I was using at the time the Trends converter to go into a Theta D S Pro which only has RCA outputs and a coax input. Cardas Lightning digital cable was used.
 Since our Eastern Electric EL156 monoblocks were the amplifiers of choice and they have the option of Balanced or RCA inputs I was dying to try them in balanced mode.I've never had balanced amps before.
 So the journey began to find a DAC with Balanced outs although the Theta DS Pro is still one kick butt DAC and the bottom end which they are known for is readily apparent.I just had to try balanced.
 I settled on the Apogee Mini Dac for now figuring if it was good enough for Radio Paradise to use and my good friend uses one of these and rates it as one of his favorites I would give it a try. Lots of different inputs and configurations .
 Using the optical out on the Mac the sound seemed a bit thin but that could have been because I was using a Citypulse DA 2.03E instead of the Theta.
 Had to try USB input although USB has its limits which will limit any use of high res recordings but I don't have a lot of 24 bit recordings and up-sampling has always sounded a bit unnatural to these ears on anything that I've heard in my system. It really is to be taken in context as recording to recording varies.
 I was just using some cheap USB cable that either came with a computer I used or a piece of equipment with supplied USB cable. What are they worth $10 at most? I had read a couple of reviews about the Locus Design Axis and Polestar USB cables. I contacted Lee at Locus Design as we had met at a couple of audio shows and he has even used some of Eastern Electric products at these shows so I trusted his recommendation on which cable to get. Since like others also I have more then one system, main and computer room I decided to purchase both of them.The winner goes into the Main system.
  Does it make sense that a cable which just transfers 1's and 0's in the digital realm could possibly have an effect on the music? Have a couple friends that say it shouldn't and they will have to try before believing.Can't blame them but as for me, I'm sold.
 The Axis USB cable defined the details in the music, you can clearly pick out the notes played within the arrangement of musical score, it truly brings the separation and the last detail within the recordings. Really it is that simple, this cable has thoroughly transformed my listening experience. There is so much information there that I just wasn't hearing before in very familiar recordings,for some reason they were hidden before.
 If your doing computer audio and are using some cheapo stock USB cable you really need to try this cable. I'm not sure what Lee's policy is and he is probably preparing for CES but do yourself a favor and contact him.
 The cable also has given the music texture, what do I mean by that :lol:  you know what I mean :duh
Honestly,the Axis is just one of those products you have to try!
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Locus Design "Axis " USB Cable.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Great review, Bill, thanks!
I've often wondered if there was a difference in USB cables and figured there would be.  I will be using PC->USB->DAC connectivity when my room is finished so I will need a 'fancy' usb cable. ;)
If digital cables make a difference, I don't see why USB shouldn't.  If the leads within the USB cable are isolated better, and the spring/contact points are tighter, there should be less error than a loose, cheaply made cable... And, then there is less electrical anomolies for the DAC to deal with... all similar to a digital audio cable. 

For those looking for the site, here it is: http://www.locus-design.com/

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
Sounds interesting. They use ERS paper as well. Hmmm. In this case the price IMO is warranted due to the intense labor required and the fact all parts are made to spec and NOT over the counter parts.  Expensive yes, worth it yes. Check out what Larry Moore is doing wit USB cables as well.
   I believe one gets what one pays for with this product. Good advice thanks.

charles

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:03 AM »
Well finally heard one in my system. WOW ! The USB DAC $249 the cable $$$$ oh my. I cannot justify the price difference just the sound. Again I say OH MY ! 

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »
Are you saying 'oh my' to the price or the improvement?  The price will keep me from trying it... but I might try making my own.
-C

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
Well finally heard one in my system. WOW ! The USB DAC $249 the cable $$$$ oh my. I cannot justify the price difference just the sound. Again I say OH MY ! 

charles

That's funny. :rofl: When I bought the $549 Locus Design Axis cable for my $179 Trends UD-10.1 USB transport, this cable transformed my PC audio to the best I had ever heard it. After trying both the Belkin Gold and the Kimber USB cable, the Axis shined like the North Star in the year 0000 AD. Yes you get what you pay for and I was warned 3 times by Lee Weiland of Cryoparts/Locus Design that the  top of the line $$$$ Nucleus cable was a dangerous cable to demo,,,,,, BUT I demoed it just the same. He was right, not only did I buy this incredibly crystal clear cable but I also was moved to upgrade the Trends to an Empirical Off-Ramp 3 with a Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply. It turned out to be a very expensive cable to demo but there's really no comparison in the quality of my PC audio source.

If anyone can DIY a USB cable to match the Nucleus, I bow to their skills. I'm sure it can be done,,,,, just not by me.  :duh

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:21:33 AM »
Are you saying 'oh my' to the price or the improvement?  The price will keep me from trying it... but I might try making my own.
-C

The improvement. as you know high cable prices and I do not get along. In this case though the improvement was astonishing. Really night and day. We all know cables can make a difference one way or the other. This baby IMO is the real deal. Just for me hard to shell out the money for wire. In this case however I'm in. Please try one and make up your own mind. Wow!

charles

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:16 AM »
Hm... well, maybe I'll have to work it out..
-C

CryoParts

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words!   :beer:

Peace,

Lee

CryoParts

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
If anyone can DIY a USB cable to match the Nucleus,

Be careful if you do, is the only thing I'll say about that.

You guys let Robin in over here?  You'll let anyone in!   :rofl:

Peace,

Lee

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
If anyone can DIY a USB cable to match the Nucleus,

Be careful if you do, is the only thing I'll say about that.

You guys let Robin in over here?  You'll let anyone in!   :rofl:

Peace,

Lee

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was thinking the same thing myself Lee.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:45 AM »
Hey Guys, thanks for the kind words!   :beer:

Peace,

Lee

Your welcome. Hey a excellent product is an excellent product. Is it true that you are seeking a patent on the USB connector ? Thought I heard something through the grapevine. Just curious. The entire assembly makes it what is however I would imagine the connector itself is key.  Can you share a bit without giving up your formula ? thanks.

charles

CryoParts

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 07:41:44 AM »
Not on the connector I am currently using, no.  I don't want anyone to know what, or how, I am using, especially what wicked expensive, but wildly effective, damping compound. 

Thank you for recognizing that the "total" is greater than the sum of the parts.  It's easy to get connectors, slap them on some good wire and call it a day.  However, I look at the whole cable as a "system" (or as a component) made up of individual parts that work together to create a cohesive whole.

OK, I'll stop now, don't want to make this an ad.

Peace,

Lee

Your welcome. Hey a excellent product is an excellent product. Is it true that you are seeking a patent on the USB connector ? Thought I heard something through the grapevine. Just curious. The entire assembly makes it what is however I would imagine the connector itself is key.  Can you share a bit without giving up your formula ? thanks.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 06:35:49 AM »
Cool. Keep up the good work.

charles