Author Topic: Surge Protection  (Read 9392 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Surge Protection
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:35:27 AM »
Good luck. 

Contents are usually insured to a percentage of the cost of the house.  If you have something of extraordinary value, that may cause the total contents to exceed it.  The only time it SHOULD be an issue is if there was a total loss due to fire, flood, etc. 

At a minimum, I'd give him a full inventory list with values and pictures of everything.  Serial numbers will also be a good thing.  Keep a copy of all of this for yourself in a safe deposit box.  I've just seen too many people get stuck because the adjuster will come out and say "there's no way you had $50k worth of audio equipment".  Have proof.

I hope you have good luck with State Farm.  As an example, many years ago, I used to do roofing, siding, remodeling, etc.  State Farm was the worst to deal with.  After a major hail storm, the other companies were replacing roofs left and right.  The SF adjusters were up there counting damaged shingles and only paying for those damaged and then trying to discount that based on roof age.  At that time, I had State Farm.  Dropped them like a rock.  Insurance premiums are too high already to get treated like that.

Also, remember that replacement cost is what it takes to replace that exact piece if they want to get picky.  So, if you lost a 5 year old fridge, they'd have to pay you to replace it with another 5 year old fridge.  They usually don't do that with household items but they do on autos and CAN on household items if they really want to push it.

Just beware.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 07:55:27 AM »
Carl,
My insurance company was great.  However, I made the mistake of allowing a dealer that I had bought from for several years to "replace" my system with "something much better".  It was a nightmare for over 2 years and I lost several tens of thousands of dollars before I finally got close to what I had.  I was scared for several years...

Haha... I've had the same 'problem'... but I didn't even have a loss in the first place! ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Phil

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:12:27 PM »
Ken,

I was told the same thing by Allstate.  I'm assuming that equipment isn't different from the furniture, etc. in the house.  If the total value covered is correct, it seems to be fine.

Phil