Author Topic: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks  (Read 27983 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Gary’s DIY and Tweaks
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
Just a quick question for some of you tube guys:
Do tube amps in standby mode  put out half the heat or is it even higher? I basically listen at night only and I usually don’t turn off the AC, so Im wondering if generated heat would be an issue fir me at all. (yes, I do turn off the fridge now)
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2018, 06:26:25 PM »
Do tube amps in standby mode  put out half the heat or is it even higher? I basically listen at night only and I usually don’t turn off the AC, so Im wondering if generated heat would be an issue fir me at all. (yes, I do turn off the fridge now)
Nick, generally standby keeps the tube heaters warm and in rare incidences provides a greatly reduced B+ voltage.  Heat production is much less than 50%.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:29:45 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
Nick, generally standby keeps the tube heaters warm and in rare incidences provides a greatly reduced B+ voltage.  Heat production is much less than 50%.

Thanks, Dave. Good to know as I’m testing the waters for an amp or integrated.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2018, 07:11:06 AM »
   Gary ??? Where art thou Gary ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »

charles

Gary is probably too busy making more cables in his secret lab 👨‍🔬
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
  • Insanity is doing the same Audio thing over & over
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »

charles

Yes, Gary is in his bat cave creating new secret wires.  Nick was in my secret wire lab recently for a good listen. And then we went to a new audio store opening up and that was a great experience also.  I recently got inspired to use bare wire with graphene to mostly reduce and/or eliminate micro-arcing, with air dielectric and I’m getting extremely low capacitance and my best results ever.

And Nick, since you were here I have tried a new version of interconnects and I think the sound is even better.  And that result is only with one digital interconnect, and I haven’t put the new design into the analog interconnects yet.  I am receiving parts today and that probably could happen today or tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

Gary
Oppo 103, SSD drive
DIY ultra low capacitance power cords, ICs and speaker cables
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre
Primaluna Dialogue4 tube, Hegel H90 int amp
DIY speakers w/8” Rullit field coil FR drivers

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »

charles

Yes, Gary is in his bat cave creating new secret wires.  Nick was in my secret wire lab recently for a good listen. And then we went to a new audio store opening up and that was a great experience also.  I recently got inspired to use bare wire with graphene to mostly reduce and/or eliminate micro-arcing, with air dielectric and I’m getting extremely low capacitance and my best results ever.

And Nick, since you were here I have tried a new version of interconnects and I think the sound is even better.  And that result is only with one digital interconnect, and I haven’t put the new design into the analog interconnects yet.  I am receiving parts today and that probably could happen today or tomorrow. I will keep you all posted.

BTW, this is all Charles' fault. He got me looking into very low capacitance wires and my brain got to work. The ICs I'm making now have about 26 pF (picofarads) total capacitance (not just 26 pF per foot), and my power cords have about 60 pF capacitance in a 6-foot length (50 pF per 4-foot length) - lower is better.  Combining that with graphene conductive liquid this is pretty cool.

Gary

And BTW, Nick brought his 1200AS amp and his UberBUSS and they definitely added some nice qualities to the sound, but with the new wire design I'm working on now I would have to hear them in my system again. hee hee

Gary
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:18:19 AM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »

charles

Gary
Yep, graphene is revelatory when it comes to cabling, especially low level cables.  My trials with speaker cabling are coming along, but it is line level that really shows the schnitz!

Fun, ain't it?   :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »

charles

Gary
Yep, graphene is revelatory when it comes to cabling, especially low level cables.  My trials with speaker cabling are coming along, but it is line level that really shows the schnitz!

My first endeavor into whole-length graphene-treated wire is in my new power cords, which are really stellar.  I use 10-gauge and 8-gauge wire for that.  And I just made a digital IC with the same wire architecture and the sound suddenly opened up and evened-out very nicely, with lots of audiophile goodness; richer sound, nice midrange, more upper range, detail with a little less edge, etc. People don't realize that a "digital" coax cable actually carries an analog signal, so it is not just "bits", and so it isn't unexpected to get better sound with a better digital cable. I am graphene-treating speaker wires and will be building them and making analog ICs next.  Previously, unfortunately because of the price, I had been using pure silver wire most recently, which sounds great but is expensive and leaves a tiny bit of an edge on the sound - these are copper.

Gary
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:15:25 PM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Gary good to see you posting again. Try a 37.5 OHM digital instead of 75 Ohm you will be surprised. Liking Graphene as well. I'm glad I brought it up.
Question. Do you buy graphene coated wire or coat your own ?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2018, 08:39:57 AM »
Gary good to see you posting again. Try a 37.5 OHM digital instead of 75 Ohm you will be surprised. Liking Graphene as well. I'm glad I brought it up.
Question. Do you buy graphene coated wire or coat your own ?

charles

Hi Charles,
I buy my graphene and then coat the wires. My current bottle is 500 ml graphene in aqueous dispersion. I just put in new copper with graphene speaker wires and we will see how that goes. In the past two days I put in a digital IC copper with graphene, and a set of analog ICs copper with graphene. So everything is green now.  I have a cable cooker but I'll let these burn in naturally.
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »

charles

Gary

My first endeavor into whole-length graphene-treated wire is in my new power cords, which are really stellar.  I use 10-gauge and 8-gauge wire for that.  And I just made a digital IC with the same wire architecture and the sound suddenly opened up and evened-out very nicely, with lots of audiophile goodness; richer sound, nice midrange, more upper range, detail with a little less edge, etc. People don't realize that a "digital" coax cable actually carries an analog signal, so it is not just "bits", and so it isn't unexpected to get better sound with a better digital cable. I am graphene-treating speaker wires and will be building them and making analog ICs next.  Previously, unfortunately because of the price, I had been using pure silver wire most recently, which sounds great but is expensive and leaves a tiny bit of an edge on the sound - these are copper.

Gary

Gary my bet is 10ga on positive and Neg. and 8ga on ground. My experience is that a smaller Ga. ground makes for a warmer PC. If not must be graphene coating.

charles

Offline gander

• Seeking Help
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »

charles

Gary

Gary

Gary my bet is 10ga on positive and Neg. and 8ga on ground. My experience is that a smaller Ga. ground makes for a warmer PC. If not must be graphene coating.

charles

Let me restate that. I have power cords that are all 8 ga, and I have power cords that are all 10 ga. I don't use differing wire sizes in a power cord. All my current power cords are with graphene.

Gary
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:43:58 AM by gander »
Oppo 103, SSD drive
Audio Note 2.1B DAC
Tortuga LDR passive pre

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »

Let me restate that. I have power cords that are all 8 ga, and I have power cords that are all 10 ga. I don't use differing wire sizes in a power cord. All my current power cords are with graphene.

Gary
Cool.  8)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2019, 08:00:27 AM »
It's been a long time commin (CSNY).
Remembered to get dowels at a hardware store a while back for my speakers.
My speakers have a 10" firing forward and a 10" firing rear, both active. so I wasn't sure
if the dowel tweek was going to work.
Got 1 1/4" so I could use the spikes as stops. Spikes don't touch the floor with about 1/4" play from the dowel.
Haven't been able to listen to music yet but gotta tell you what's goin on.
My wife has the multi disc cd player full of an audio book and has listened to the book for
a while now (28 discs) and I put the dowels in between her listening session. The narrators voice
became way more clear and pronounced. I've got the telly hooked up through the stereo and it has
made a distinguishable difference. Cleaner and more clear. Can't wait to put some music on.
Dowels are probably poplar wood (store didn't know) and cost me six bucks for four foot. Now I'm
wondering what other woods would do.
Thanks Gary.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.