Author Topic: WfFi extenders and mesh systems  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
WfFi extenders and mesh systems
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:25:05 PM »
I think I started streaming about 2007, and I believe it has always been wireless. First streamer was the SB 2, then the Auralic Mini and now the great sounding and inexpensive iFi Zen.I have always had issues with streaming, whether because of player software and/or wireless issues. I’ve also used Roon since 2016 and that has complicated things as well.

I recently switched to JPlay for a free trial. Very simple software and no Roon core on another device in another room to deal with for a while. Our forum member Jack suggested I try a Wi-Fi extender and go ethernet wired from the extender into the iFi Zen. It’s a significant improvement over going wireless. My internet speeds are also amazingly slow. I have a dish on my roof and as I’m typing this, I’m between 4-8 mbs as it’s 9:00 pm on a Saturday night. I will be switching to another company with speeds up to 300 mbs. They may need to run a cable from my neighbor across the street. At that time, I’ll be trying a mesh system, a 6 or 6e. Not sure what the difference is. I would be interested to know your experience with extenders and mesh systems. It is so nice not to have to go through that convoluted procedure of getting the network to connect to the streamer and then back to my home network. It seems like I’ve had to do that hundreds of times 😳
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: WfFi extenders and mesh systems
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 04:23:08 AM »
Hi Nick. I realize this is not necessarily the response you want to hear our read, but i've always advocated ad nauseam that there's no comparison between a wired ethernet connection and wireless. Wired ethernet connection is so much better (quality, reliability, speed) so if you can, try to do whatever is necessary to eliminate the wireless portion of the audio chain completely.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 08:05:28 AM »
Using an eeRo the last few years and never had a problem connection on a Node2i, no drops etc. 400+ mb down load.
I will have to try the direct connection. The problem is my eeRo extenders do not have an Ethernet connection.
I do have a TP Link extender if I feel like futzing with it. I hate Network BS!
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Fritz Carrera Be SA Stands
CA Emotion SE CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Phoenix Falcon PS
AT33PTG II Shelter 501 lll
Rogue Triton2  Phono2 mkll
WyWires Silver Series Platinum AES
Yggdrasil+LIM CECTL5 Trans
BS Node 2i Qobuz

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 11:48:00 AM »
Hi Nick. I realize this is not necessarily the response you want to hear our read, but i've always advocated ad nauseam that there's no comparison between a wired ethernet connection and wireless. Wired ethernet connection is so much better (quality, reliability, speed) so if you can, try to do whatever is necessary to eliminate the wireless portion of the audio chain completely.

Hi Hal,

I appreciate your thoughts and the purist approach. I have already spent a lot of money fixing up the inside of the house and am having backyard landscaping done in 3 weeks. As this is very likely not my last home, it isn’t prudent to spend the money on that. When I was auditioning the excellent all silver Hapa cables, the sound was very, very good just with Wi-Fi. The priority is more to maintain a steady signal. For my next house, I’ll definitely check into whole house wiring.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 12:03:25 PM »
Using an eeRo the last few years and never had a problem connection on a Node2i, no drops etc. 400+ mb down load.
I will have to try the direct connection. The problem is my eeRo extenders do not have an Ethernet connection.
I do have a TP Link extender if I feel like futzing with it. I hate Network BS!

I think I was looking at the Eero mesh system over at Amazon. Reasonably priced with 2 connections per module as I recall. I am planning on then using a wired connection into my Mac which houses the Roon core and also go wired to my TV. Blue Jeans cables or Supra would be just fine for that. Buying a cheapie extender with one connection like jack recommended has made a significant improvement. I have looked at the TP Link mesh and that is likely what I’ll buy.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 06:14:11 AM »
EERO user here also

Have my router on the  second floor and a mesh unit in the basement. Then hardwired to my Lumin streamer.
Works like a charm
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »
EERO user here also

Have my router on the  second floor and a mesh unit in the basement. Then hardwired to my Lumin streamer.
Works like a charm

That’s good to know, Emil, and they are reasonably priced as well.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ToddC

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 06:10:37 PM »
I've had only fair success with my Asus mesh wifi.  I have a old, large house with little built in ethernet. I'm currently running pfSense as my main router to Xfinity and with a 2.5g LAN backbone.  My network has 6 different Asus wifi access points with 1g ethernet to 3 of them and the other 3 on 5G backhaul (due to lack of ethernet in the far reaches of my house). My main problem appears go be a lot of traffic on one of my 5g backhaul points, which then causes a slight one to two second pause when listening to roon.  I'll be updating one of the wifi mesh access points to direct wired ethernet and (fingers crossed) that should solve the problem.   As an aside, one of the mesh access points was very close to my streamer (holo red) and it caused a mild pop corn popping sound that could be heard a very low levels.  Moving the WAP further away from the streamer helped quite a bit. 

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 09:08:20 PM »
I've had only fair success with my Asus mesh wifi.  I have a old, large house with little built in ethernet. I'm currently running pfSense as my main router to Xfinity and with a 2.5g LAN backbone.  My network has 6 different Asus wifi access points with 1g ethernet to 3 of them and the other 3 on 5G backhaul (due to lack of ethernet in the far reaches of my house). My main problem appears go be a lot of traffic on one of my 5g backhaul points, which then causes a slight one to two second pause when listening to roon.  I'll be updating one of the wifi mesh access points to direct wired ethernet and (fingers crossed) that should solve the problem.   As an aside, one of the mesh access points was very close to my streamer (holo red) and it caused a mild pop corn popping sound that could be heard a very low levels.  Moving the WAP further away from the streamer helped quite a bit.

I had an ASUS router and it performed well. I’m learning as I go along with the mesh methodology. I only have 1,533 sq ft to cover and I’m looking at some units that cover 4,000 sq ft and more. I prefer overkill and flexibility for the next house. I’ve read about the term backhaul, but haven’t looked it up to see what it means. I’m not buying anything until the cable company I am considering using can tell me if they can and will get a line from my neighbor across the street over to me. I will then have the mesh units ready for the installation guys to install. I’ve had a lot of improvement just using the extender and a cheap ethernet cable, so the thought of getting even better performance with a mesh system is something I’m quite looking forward to
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 12:39:48 PM »
If you can't hard-wire unshielded CAT6 (best for audio), I'd recommend one of these devices... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It runs within your home's electrical 120V AC lines, transforming your existing electrical circuit into a high-speed network with no need for new wires or drilling and brings wired network to anywhere there is a power outlet(Up to 300 meters). Pretty amazing technology, but really nothing new. Telemetry has been around a long time. Keep in mind, that if you use devices like Audioprism's Quietline™ Noise Reduction System, it will filter the high frequency ethernet signals... LOL!

Highly recommended if you can't hard wire... I use one for my Innuos Statement player with superb results...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 04:26:17 PM »
If you can't hard-wire unshielded CAT6 (best for audio), I'd recommend one of these devices... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It runs within your home's electrical 120V AC lines, transforming your existing electrical circuit into a high-speed network with no need for new wires or drilling and brings wired network to anywhere there is a power outlet(Up to 300 meters). Pretty amazing technology, but really nothing new. Telemetry has been around a long time. Keep in mind, that if you use devices like Audioprism's Quietline™ Noise Reduction System, it will filter the high frequency ethernet signals... LOL!

Highly recommended if you can't hard wire... I use one for my Innuos Statement player with superb results...

My $0.02,
Pete

Thanks, Pete. Very helpful. I used Quiet Lines over 20 years ago. I like Dave’s UberBUSS solution much better 👍
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS