Author Topic: How many here use Cassette Decks  (Read 6052 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
How many here use Cassette Decks
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:44:41 PM »
I have been using cassette decks forever. Just received another, a Nakamichi CR-2A.
Just curious who else might still enjoy this form of analog source. Let’s see those decks.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: How many here use Cassette Decks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 04:55:06 PM »
I no longer do. Back in the day (early 90's) I had a Sony TC-WA7ESA, purchased brand new for about $350.. It was an outstanding deck. I never felt the need for a nakamichi dragon. The Sony I had was a dubbing tape deck (i.e. you could record from one tape to another). So, I was able to trade in those days the old fashioned way. Yes, you guessed it. I could copy one of my tapes that I recorded to a blank tape, and then use the dubbed tape to trade with other deadheads via postal mail. I never used the fast copy feature so as to ensure the best quality dubbed recording.

I still have the names and addresses of the scores of people I traded with. Nobody ever had an issue with a tape I created for them, or if they did, they didn't tell me.

I tape recorded a Grateful Dead show that played every Saturday evening at midnight. WBAI, Morning Dew was the call letter ID of the station and name of the program. I recorded to approximately 750 tapes. Traded perhaps for a few hundred more. In total I had just over 1,000 at one point.

Maxell 90 minute tapes were the preferred brand of tape. Sometime a more expensive "S" version of the tape was used. I bought blank cassettes in bulk (100 at a time) to save whatever I could compared to buying a pack of 5 or so.

I had the deck serviced twice during a ten year period as it needed new belts, pro cleaning, etc. The service was $75 so in total I must have spent $500 on the deck, proudly owning and using it for more than 10 years.

I sold my deck and entire tape collection (I still have about 30 tapes for nostalgia reasons) sometime early 2000. I moved to all digital and never looked back.

Best.

Hal

GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 06:14:03 PM »
Back when the Nak Dragon was released I was working at Sound Ideas here in Albuquerque.  Employees could take advantage of manufacturer's accommodation.   Retail price was $1850.00.  Accommodation price was $500.00.  I'm sorry I ever sold it   :(

My first really good phono cartridge was a Technics (P100?  I don't remember) and I got that for 40% of retail.

Those were the daze!

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 06:45:29 PM »
I had a Tandberg TCD 330…iirc. It was a very good deck and looked great too. I sold it years ago. Still have a few cassette’s laying around, but no way to play them. I recorded with Maxell and think I used BASF as well. I’m pretty sure I bought that Tandberg in the late 70s. It’s also the first high end audio device I bought. It was expensive as well.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 08:05:06 PM »
The only cassette deck I had was in my 1970 Torino GT.  When someone stole it in the Sears parking lot, they left behind a good pair of US made wire cutters.  I've still got them... I got the better deal.   :thumb:
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 04:29:43 AM »
I don't use mine at all. Sold/dumped all my cassettes when we moved 5 years ago. Sold my old Nakamichi at the same time, all for a song.

I do still have an old Denon tuner, if anyone is interested please contact me.  :?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.