Author Topic: New Transport Makes It's Debut  (Read 4074 times)

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
New Transport Makes It's Debut
« on: July 13, 2023, 06:23:50 AM »
 Just yesterday Schiit Audio released a new product of theirs:  :thumb:

https://www.schiit.com/products/urd

There are two notable items about this transport which may be of interest to those still spinning CDs. Sure, the price will likely turn you away. I personaLLy am not interested in this product as I do not spin CDs or stream.

For those who do, one benefit is it's the only transport on the market that has both USB input and output. The second is the StreamUnlimited metal tray-loading Redbook CD mechanism. Clearly they have contemplated the naysayers who believe spinning from their computer CD drive is just as good.

Happy listening!  8)
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: New Transport Makes It's Debut
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »
I could see myself with one of these if no one ever sells a Shigaclone that's nice when I'm looking. I'm not really a digital guy but I do have CDs and do need to do work with DACs.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 11:35:37 AM »
I could see myself with one of these if no one ever sells a Shigaclone that's nice when I'm looking. I'm not really a digital guy but I do have CDs and do need to do work with DACs.

By the way, I sent an email to Schiit and posted in a few Urd related Facebook posts questioning their claim that their transport is the only one available in today's market with USB output. I can play a CD on my laptop and output digital via it's USB A port. I'll keep the group informed of what I find out. I may be missing something, but at face value I don't think so.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 01:23:05 PM »
Just yesterday Schiit Audio released a new product of theirs:  :thumb:

https://www.schiit.com/products/urd

There are two notable items about this transport which may be of interest to those still spinning CDs. Sure, the price will likely turn you away. I personaLLy am not interested in this product as I do not spin CDs or stream.

For those who do, one benefit is it's the only transport on the market that has both USB input and output. The second is the StreamUnlimited metal tray-loading Redbook CD mechanism. Clearly they have contemplated the naysayers who believe spinning from their computer CD drive is just as good.

Happy listening!  8)

Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I've never owned anything from them, but the value on most of their products seems quite good and there are happy users too with modded gear.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:28:04 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 01:43:39 PM »
Thanks for the link. Interesting reading. I've never owned anything from them, but the value on most of their products seems quite good and there are happy users too with modded gear.

You're welcome, Nick.

I've owned their Yggdrasil DAC (now OG model, minus the unison usb as I have Gen5) and have been very happy with it. To my ears it sounds exactly perfect. And I have heard about 10 other DACs (even more if you consider computer audio cards, smartphones, etc.). If and when my Yggy dies I'll buy another, now Yggdrasil OG+. I won't bother with the other two "flavors".

The only DAC I heard that blows the Yggy out of the water is the Lampizator Horizon DAC. But that costs $50K! And it was in a system commensurate with its price point.

I have no personal experience with any of their other products. In my use case, their Loki Max EQ could be of value, and I've been on the fence back and forth a few times over it, but ultimately I think it best not to add more electronics in the signal path.

They have a tremendous fan base of loyal followers. Overall they make good value products, and in some cases very good value. I can gripe over certain things, but likely would be the case that some customers of any brand audio gear can find fault with something.

Trust me, Moffat and Stoddard are rather well-to-do financially speaking as they've grown the company exponentially.

In the case of my most recent post regarding their newest product, the Urd transport, I do not agree with their claim of it being the only transport that has USB output. I'm eager to read from them.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 09:44:29 AM »
Jason Stoddard himself has replied.

"There's being pedantic, and there's being right. Do we really need to add "that is not a general-purpose computer" to the description? Show someone a picture of an Urd, and they think "CD player." Show someone a picture of a computer, and they think "computer." The description stays the same."

To which I've replied requesting he reconsider. Whether he does or not, it's obvious I'm correct. A computer with CD ROM drive and USB out is a transport, and the website statement is invalid.

And folks here on AN please understand this is not so much as my being "right" - which I am - it's about my being honest.   8)

Best

Hal

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »
I've been banned from headfi by Jason because nobody can deal with the fire that I've lit.

What truth is proof against all lies?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 06:24:03 PM »

You're welcome, Nick.

I've owned their Yggdrasil DAC (now OG model, minus the unison usb as I have Gen5) and have been very happy with it. To my ears it sounds exactly perfect. And I have heard about 10 other DACs (even more if you consider computer audio cards, smartphones, etc.). If and when my Yggy dies I'll buy another, now Yggdrasil OG+. I won't bother with the other two "flavors".

The only DAC I heard that blows the Yggy out of the water is the Lampizator Horizon DAC. But that costs $50K! And it was in a system commensurate with its price point.

I have no personal experience with any of their other products. In my use case, their Loki Max EQ could be of value, and I've been on the fence back and forth a few times over it, but ultimately I think it best not to add more electronics in the signal path.

They have a tremendous fan base of loyal followers. Overall they make good value products, and in some cases very good value. I can gripe over certain things, but likely would be the case that some customers of any brand audio gear can find fault with something.

Trust me, Moffat and Stoddard are rather well-to-do financially speaking as they've grown the company exponentially.

In the case of my most recent post regarding their newest product, the Urd transport, I do not agree with their claim of it being the only transport that has USB output. I'm eager to read from them.

I think I saw Schiit products at a so. California audio show about 2015/16. I don't know anyone who owns an Yggy, but would love to hear one someday. Some years ago, a manufacturer or seller on AC modded the Bifrost and raved about it. I believe he did the work or offered parts in a kit form. I know one of our members here Steve has modded  a Bifrost and is very pleased with the performance. As to 50k dacs, I think I'll pass....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 09:21:27 PM »

You're welcome, Nick.

I think I saw Schiit products at a so. California audio show about 2015/16. I don't know anyone who owns an Yggy, but would love to hear one someday. Some years ago, a manufacturer or seller on AC modded the Bifrost and raved about it. I believe he did the work or offered parts in a kit form. I know one of our members here Steve has modded  a Bifrost and is very pleased with the performance. As to 50k dacs, I think I'll pass....
:thumb:

The Yggi is a great DAC.  Mine is unfortunately  not really - it is a privilege) on terminal loan.  Musical and fun!

There is no reason to spend a fortune on a DAC.  Beyond a finite and audible point in performance $$$$$$$$ is spent on:  colorations (we all love 'our' colorations), the newest latest greatest thing, snob appeal or just simply GAS.

I'm guilty.  I have way too many DACs.  I just ordered another option from Doede Douma.  Yep.  Him.  I'm going to build a 44.1/16 DAC NOS DAC to add to the menagerie.  I have some ideas on implementation that are very different from his, so we shall hear!

Oh, yeah.  The Soekris should come online about "then" whenever, wherever "then" might be!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:29:21 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 09:35:09 PM »
@P.I. +1. Thank you.  :) :thumb:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 10:00:15 PM »

You're welcome, Nick.

:thumb:

The Yggi is a great DAC.  Mine is unfortunately  not really - it is a privilege) on terminal loan.  Musical and fun!

There is no reason to spend a fortune on a DAC.  Beyond a finite and audible point in performance $$$$$$$$ is spent on:  colorations (we all love 'our' colorations), the newest latest greatest thing, snob appeal or just simply GAS.

I'm guilty.  I have way too many DACs.  I just ordered another option from Doede Douma.  Yep.  Him.  I'm going to build a 44.1/16 DAC NOS DAC to add to the menagerie.  I have some ideas on implementation that are very different from his, so we shall hear!

Oh, yeah.  The Soekris should come online about "then" whenever, wherever "then" might be!  :rofl:

What a horrible letdown for me 😞  I always thought my dac's colorations sounded the best 🤷
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »
Nick, your signature line reads that you have a Border Patrol SEi dac. That's a serious DAC! I'm pretty sure Pete G (triode wire labs) has that DAC.

I've heard border patrol DACs at audio shows. They are fine indeed.

I don't think you need to worry about "coloration".  :D

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 10:19:15 PM »
Nick, your signature line reads that you have a Border Patrol SEi dac. That's a serious DAC! I'm pretty sure Pete G (triode wire labs) has that DAC.

I've heard border patrol DACs at audio shows. They are fine indeed.

I don't think you need to worry about "coloration".  :D

Just having a little fun, Hal. I like my BP dac a lot. It cost a bit to have it upgraded to the Jupiter beeswax cap, but worth it for me. I do have very limited experience as to good dacs, so I'm always curious what othe stuff sounds like. I had an Antelope Gold dac some years ago, but that was in a far inferior system.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2023, 01:03:59 AM »
Phriends

so I'm starting to shit on schiit with a big bowel movement in related Facebook threads.

Thought you'd be interested in knowing that.

And this should be no surprise to anyone in this group or anywhere else. If my constructive criticism is insufficiently death with, then it turns to destructive criticism.

Simple, really.

Best. Peace and love to aLL.

Hal

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 05:18:54 AM »
My career should have been that of a magician ....so I'd better understand how to make things disappear  :rofl: :thumb: