Author Topic: Bluesound Node 2 - Replacement Powersupply  (Read 3498 times)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Bluesound Node 2 - Replacement Powersupply
« on: December 20, 2022, 08:13:42 AM »
Does anyone know of a replacement power supply for Bluesound Node 2?  My Node 2 has the dread red led and Bluesound will not help me fix it since I bought it 2nd hand and I am willing to pay for the repair :duh.  They want me to send the non-function one in as a trade-in towards new one for 20% discount  ](*,)

I think the repair is replacing a couple of blown capacitors but do not have the skill set to do the job.   

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Bluesound Node 2 - Replacement Powersupply
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 08:47:20 AM »
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 09:10:57 AM »
Some reading you may find helpful

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/upgrade-from-modified-bluesound-node-2i-and-linear-power-supply-lps

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

https://teddypardo.com/product/bluesound-node2i-upgrade-kit/

If you stream alot, consider a better streamer such as the Lumin u2 mini.
There is a difference for the better

At those prices he is better off taking them up on the 20% offer.

I thought you had the Lumin u1 mini or did you upgrade?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »
Some reading you may find helpful

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/upgrade-from-modified-bluesound-node-2i-and-linear-power-supply-lps

https://pd-cf.com/produkt/bluesound-node-2-2i-upgrade-low-noise-psu-interface/

https://teddypardo.com/product/bluesound-node2i-upgrade-kit/

If you stream alot, consider a better streamer such as the Lumin u2 mini.
There is a difference for the better

At those prices he is better off taking them up on the 20% offer.

I thought you had the Lumin u1 mini or did you upgrade?

A really good lps or internal upgrade is the way to go. The kit from the guys in Poland isn’t that bad. 1PLN = 22 cents USD. I paid $600 for my lps which I was able to use on my iFi streamer. Well worth the money.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:33:49 AM »
I order the kit from Poland with Meanwell power supply, which cost me $135 shipped.  Will let you guys know how it goes.  This is for casual listening when I do not want to turn the Lampizator DAC on or kids are listening via Spotify.  If I upgrade I will most likely go down the Innuos Zen Mini with LPSU route.

It's just disappointing that Bluesound is not willing to repair it and just charges me for it.  I was not willing to spend 500+ dollars on a new device after 20%.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 10:35:53 AM by shadowlight »

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 11:34:43 AM »
I order the kit from Poland with Meanwell power supply, which cost me $135 shipped.  Will let you guys know how it goes.  This is for casual listening when I do not want to turn the Lampizator DAC on or kids are listening via Spotify.  If I upgrade I will most likely go down the Innuos Zen Mini with LPSU route.

It's just disappointing that Bluesound is not willing to repair it and just charges me for it.  I was not willing to spend 500+ dollars on a new device after 20%.

Cool glad it worked out. I don't read Polish, so it looked expensive
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »

Would it even be worth repairing?
Cost of shipping both ways plus diagnosis and repair.
What do techs charge per hour?
 I imagine that Bluesound doesn't feel the need to employ techs for their relatively low cost products. They figure its cheaper just to swap then out for new ones in or out of warranty.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
It might not be worth it but give me the option, considering that this seems to be a known issue with power supply caps. 

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 04:58:46 PM »
I received the power supply from Poland today and it took me 20 odd minutes to get the Node up and running again.  The instruction were simple and clear with photos. It also had information on parts that are left over once the upgrade is completed  :thumb:

I have not listened to it but the dreaded red led is gone and I am back to seeing the blue led and the node is showing up on the network.

Edit: up and running.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:56:12 PM by shadowlight »

Offline Putz

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 09:20:43 PM »
I got the most recent Node last year when my cancer chemo treatment put me on my ass. Paired it with a Gustard X16 DAC which made a big difference. I've been on the fence about getting the PD CF upgrade but I pulled the trigger tonight. First purchase in 2023. Woo hoo.

Dee--Let us know if the new PS upgraded the sound quality.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2023, 07:13:01 PM »
Paul, in my opinion the ps made a positive difference but this is based on fuzzy memory.  I rarely listened to Node on its own.  My primary listening setup is with Roon and Lampizator streaming setup.  Most of the Node listening was also via Spotify when kids used it to listen to music.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 07:15:35 PM by shadowlight »