Author Topic: Can we get steve to build us a preamp?  (Read 6104 times)

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
Can we get steve to build us a preamp?
« on: December 13, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »
I like pudding and I like proof.
I like perfection too....
Can Steve build us an 11A for a tour?

What say we members of audio nervosa, should we maybe crowd fund this little experiment?
throw down the gauntlet

so few of us have experienced perfection let words be transformed into music
no remote required for me...
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Can we get steve to build us a preamp?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 10:41:11 PM »
I like pudding and I like proof.
I like perfection too....
Can Steve build us an 11A for a tour?

What say we members of audio nervosa, should we maybe crowd fund this little experiment?
throw down the gauntlet

so few of us have experienced perfection let words be transformed into music
no remote required for me...
I'm in for $5.00.  👍🏼
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 10:54:57 AM »
I’d help fund it…not sure though for how much right now
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 07:35:48 PM »

I'm in for $5.00.  👍🏼
[/quote]
Count me in as well, although I'm not a big spender like Dave   :thumb:
Seriously, I have a nice preamp, but I'd love to compare it to something that might be better. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 11:16:55 PM »
I began my journey into tube preamps because I had read discussions and reviews of Steve’s 11a pre, but I never got to listen to one. I’ll happily chip in more than $5 for a tour of an 11a.

[Edit: I posted this because I thought it was serious. However, it appears <based on others' posts> that it's not a serious idea. I don't know what to make of this. Perhaps, I ought to delete my post?]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 03:33:02 PM by mresseguie »
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 08:22:03 AM »
That would be very interesting indeed  :thumb:

i know topround is just posting this to get steve's dander up, but i'd love to try one if it were updated with a $250 tortuga remote control ldr volume pot.  while i know steve prefers the simplicity of no remote, from what i know about light dependent resistor volume controls, there's no electrical degradation of the signal, as the volume level change is effected by increase or decrease of light intensity.  i've experienced it 1st hand w/the melos preamps, and also w/m diyparadise eva.  and the tortuga module can be retrofitted into other bespoke preamps.

https://tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/electronic-stepped-attenuator-epot-v3-mini/

doug s.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 11:28:09 AM »
No remote. No sale.
More of a necessity now with those who primarily stream.
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Folsom

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2022, 02:44:10 PM »
Remotes are the bane of audiophile electronics from the perspective of the manufacturer. They're such a nightmare... Only thing that could be worse is asking for a bespoke VCR player in your DAC.

I'm curious about Steve's stuff, too.

Offline dflee

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »
Sooooo.
Thus far there is fifteen dollars down on a unit that would go for over 3 grand. At five bucks per donor it will take six hundred people chipping in for one unit and would take 11.54 years for all to try it (providing one week per household). I for one wouldn't want to be near that tour. Good thing I'm not a glass guy. If this is Steve's profession (not a hobby), I feel this is in rather poor taste. I've bought and sold a fair share of equipment and took a loss (buying new) when selling it. Didn't mean it was bad equipment, just not what I preferred but NEVER spoke ill of anyone's products. While I may not agree (or even know) Steve I do read his posts and won't diss the guy. If he ever goes sand I might even be interested in his works.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
Sooooo.
Thus far there is fifteen dollars down on a unit that would go for over 3 grand. At five bucks per donor it will take six hundred people chipping in for one unit and would take 11.54 years for all to try it (providing one week per household). I for one wouldn't want to be near that tour. Good thing I'm not a glass guy. If this is Steve's profession (not a hobby), I feel this is in rather poor taste. I've bought and sold a fair share of equipment and took a loss (buying new) when selling it. Didn't mean it was bad equipment, just not what I preferred but NEVER spoke ill of anyone's products. While I may not agree (or even know) Steve I do read his posts and won't diss the guy. If he ever goes sand I might even be interested in his works.

Don

Understand your sentiment. I think it would perform very well and I’d love to hear one. But I doubt the necessary parts are available nowadays and I wouldn’t want to pay more than a max of $100 to satisfy my curiosity. I might also be the only one willing to pay that much. It would be nice to hear comments from a current 11A user how it compares to other top notch preamps
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
Sooooo.

Don

Understand your sentiment. I think it would perform very well and I’d love to hear one. But I doubt the necessary parts are available nowadays and I wouldn’t want to pay more than a max of $100 to satisfy my curiosity. I might also be the only one willing to pay that much. It would be nice to hear comments from a current 11A user how it compares to other top notch preamps

I reached out to one (was only provided one) via pm. I left my email and number. So far crickets, which was as I predicted.

Best.

Hal
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline dflee

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »
Maybe you should change the name to Nostradamus then.
Predictions mean nothing and unless you’ve got something
Decent to say. Never mind.
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 03:02:07 AM »
Maybe you should change the name to Nostradamus then.
Predictions mean nothing and unless you’ve got something
Decent to say. Never mind.

I did and still do have something decent to say. If you read back through the threads (not implying you haven't, just if you do) you'll note that I offered my email to be disseminated proactively to however many customers (could be half the population on the planet for all I know) the unmentioned designer has. That too wasn't good enough. I think that's "decent" of me.

EDIT: I'll add that my reaching out proactively *is* decent. Granted, I haven't said it, just wrote and did it.

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention the myriads of live recordings I make available for folks upon request. Free of course, irrespective that the time I spend preparing such music for download could be applied elsewhere. I am proficient at multitasking though. In the case of the designer alluded to in this thread, I went even further by providing my show list of the artist that *he* is interested in, instead of having him peruse my website. I think that too is decent. That was met by a snarky remark having to do with potential copyright infringement.   

For your own part in all of this dflee, why not post at more timely points along the way and contribute in a positive manner, as I have, instead of coming out of the proverbial woodwork? That too would be decent.

Best.

Hal
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 03:47:03 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »
No remote. No sale.
More of a necessity now with those who primarily stream.

Now now Emil. Our Lamm Customers do not complain. You need to get off your arse and stretch. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 12:28:52 PM »
  I do cartwheels from my seat to the dual volume controls. Then a split into my chair on the way back. Elvis was impressed. Thak ya thank ya very much.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.