Author Topic: Enjoying music again  (Read 9249 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Enjoying music again
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
Well I guess I went to an AA meeting vinyl sucks. Too much work up down flip the side. I'm sticking to my streaming and that's that turntable returned I knew I got out of it for a reason
Sorry to hear that- I have a Carbon table too and was hoping to hear about your upgrades. I left mine stock, and though I don’t listen to it all that often, I do hear what vinyl brings to the table. A new cartridge is soon to be, and I am looking forward to the results.
As far as Rollo’s statement about cd’s, I tend to agree. I use the same DAC- internal in my CD player, as I do for streaming(input from my Bluesound streamer), yet the cd sounds a hair better. But streaming wins out 95% of the time. It’s the equivalent of grilling- we know charcoal is better, but the convenience of gas wins out. I add wood chips to the gas grill for some smoke, but it’s still not the same.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline ejk

• Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 01:39:51 PM »
Good luck.
The temptation to upgrade will always be there. It's a disease. :lol:
Stay strong

Stay tuned
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline ejk

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2022, 01:07:07 PM »
I got sucked back in. Got a good deal on a pair of Audio Physic Classic 20's and ordered a Rogue Sphynx V3 based on Guttenberg's review. Well not just his.
Sounds sweet but needs more time.
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2022, 05:12:37 PM »
Congrats  :thumb: There are some great products available for a reasonable price. Keep us posted
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 05:34:43 AM »
So Evan
When do you plan on  upgrading your amp and speakers? :rofl:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 07:26:11 AM »
So Evan

Soon I saw a pair of Audio Physic tempo 25 on sale in Long Island. Maybe you know the seller

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 10:47:24 AM »
So Evan

Soon I saw a pair of Audio Physic tempo 25 on sale in Long Island. Maybe you know the seller

Love it one cannot escape the wonder of this hobby, ENJOY

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 11:33:31 AM »
So Evan

Yes!
use paypal family and friends. I'll vouch for him :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2022, 02:14:10 AM »
So Evan

Hah I got bored. Put together a nice little system for under 1600.00 not including existing BS Node.

There has been a lot of buzz about this Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp around the web and it got my interest. Made in China but supposedly built in the same factory as Prima Luna. I ordered directly from https://www.china-hifi-audio.com. It was less expensive to order direct than through Amazon. Even though they charge you for international shipping via DHL it actually came from California via Fed Ex like it would from Amazon in 4 days. So, they are being stocked here but hitting you for the overseas shipping I still saved around 400.00 dollars. It's well made and weighs 65 pounds. Can switch between Kt 88, EL 34, and 6550 tubes. Point to point wiring, triode and ultra linear switching also from the remote, 25 watts triode 45 watt ultra linear mode, and built-in bias meter. It came with their brand Kt 88 tubes, but I was never a fan if thKT88 so i purchased a quad of EH EL34s. The pre section consists of three 6sn7 and two 6sl7. I swapped out the 6sl7 for a pair of Sylvania's. From what I have read switching out those tubes makes the most impact in tube rolling on this unit. It didn't mate well with the Audio physics speakers though sounded OK. I decide to look for something more suitable and of course CHEAP and settled on the Triangle Borea 3 which also has a lot of attention around the web 409.00. The Bro3 as it is nicknamed is kick ass for its size. Bass in my room is good especially since its only rated down to 46 hertz. Midrange is great I really like listening to piano, horn music as well as female vocals with this speaker. Top end to me is smooth and not harsh. Cymbals are crisp. I would say these are a neutral sounding speaker, they do not emphasize anything. Imaging is deep. I keep a narrow sound stage due to my toe in and room boundaries and because it sounds good to me, but they can go wide if that's what you like. This is a great speaker if you listen to jazz. It has exceeded my expectations. Nice having 2 systems to play around with.

Well since it's been dead around this forum lately maybe I can spark some discussions with this.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 03:45:58 AM by ejk »

Offline ejk

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2022, 11:32:07 AM »
Update on the bass. These speakers go really deep. I wouldn't think the 46hz is correct.

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2022, 09:11:25 PM »
Nice. Is that the bottom part of a Monolith rack that I see?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2022, 12:06:52 AM »
So Evan

Hah I got bored. Put together a nice little system for under 1600.00 not including existing BS Node.

There has been a lot of buzz about this Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp around the web and it got my interest. Made in China but supposedly built in the same factory as Prima Luna. I ordered directly from https://www.china-hifi-audio.com. It was less expensive to order direct than through Amazon. Even though they charge you for international shipping via DHL it actually came from California via Fed Ex like it would from Amazon in 4 days. So, they are being stocked here but hitting you for the overseas shipping I still saved around 400.00 dollars. It's well made and weighs 65 pounds. Can switch between Kt 88, EL 34, and 6550 tubes. Point to point wiring, triode and ultra linear switching also from the remote, 25 watts triode 45 watt ultra linear mode, and built-in bias meter. It came with their brand Kt 88 tubes, but I was never a fan if thKT88 so i purchased a quad of EH EL34s. The pre section consists of three 6sn7 and two 6sl7. I swapped out the 6sl7 for a pair of Sylvania's. From what I have read switching out those tubes makes the most impact in tube rolling on this unit. It didn't mate well with the Audio physics speakers though sounded OK. I decide to look for something more suitable and of course CHEAP and settled on the Triangle Borea 3 which also has a lot of attention around the web 409.00. The Bro3 as it is nicknamed is kick ass for its size. Bass in my room is good especially since its only rated down to 46 hertz. Midrange is great I really like listening to piano, horn music as well as female vocals with this speaker. Top end to me is smooth and not harsh. Cymbals are crisp. I would say these are a neutral sounding speaker, they do not emphasize anything. Imaging is deep. I keep a narrow sound stage due to my toe in and room boundaries and because it sounds good to me, but they can go wide if that's what you like. This is a great speaker if you listen to jazz. It has exceeded my expectations. Nice having 2 systems to play around with.

Well since it's been dead around this forum lately maybe I can spark some discussions with this.

Dead here?? Nah, maybe just taking longer naps  :lol: Glad you’re getting good sound on the cheap  :thumb: I have read many comments on the Willsenton and a utube video or two as well. After 30 years years of not having tubes, I’m sure enjoying my Supratek preamp. I’m using Raytheon 6NS7s courtesy of a gift of a generous member here. Added a Mullard rectifier tube and oh so nice 🎶
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2022, 12:47:45 AM »

It's their amplifier stand as well as their speaker stands  Great price great value
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 02:29:07 AM by ejk »

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 10:10:44 PM »

It's their amplifier stand as well as their speaker stands  Great price great value

Wow. Did not know you could swap out tubes on this. Almost went for this model before I got a good deal on another amp. Any plans on modding this with better caps?  8)

Offline ejk

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »

Wow. Did not know you could swap out tubes on this. Almost went for this model before I got a good deal on another amp. Any plans on modding this with better caps?  8)

I thought about it. One of the reasons I bought it. I first have to settle on the right tubes. I bought a quad of EH El34 and really don't care for them, so I put the stock KT88 back in. I know the 88's are more dynamic but they also have more detail to them compared to the EH el34's. Waiting on purchasing some driver tubes until the prices come down.