Author Topic: What Does a More Expensive/‘Better’ Streamer Give Me?  (Read 9581 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What Does a More Expensive/‘Better’ Streamer Give Me?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 10:59:38 AM »
Another problem is that not only are there external power supplies for motherboards, but they also have onboard switching supplies to manage the different voltages for CPU, memory, external logic interfaces etc.  You might make the external power supply quiet, but the onboard supplies are still driving everything.

This all goes back to the transient power nature of digital systems.  The lower the power needed by the logic, the lower the noise generated by the SMPS on the motherboard.  This is why I prefer small low power SBC's that have minimal onboard SMPS's. 

What also helps is using SMPS's that switch at higher than audio band frequencies.  That is why I use a GaN based SMPS to drive my Music Server. 

Another problem really comes when you are streaming, as some services like Qobuz take large CPU throuhput unlike music file playback with things like Foobar2000 and JRiver MC.  Smaller CPU's that are fine for file playback do not have the CPU power to stream using some services.  So now a higher power CPU with more current requirements is needed that creates more noise.

Always something.

Hi Rich,

Very interesting… Can you elaborate how long you’ve been using GaN products, the difference in measurements etc.

Thanks,
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2022, 12:57:44 PM »
Hi Nick,
I started using the external GaN USBC power supply from the start of the MS-6 Music Server builds, so Feb '21.

They are SlimQ GaN 45 watt USBC PD charger style power supplies.  No longer sold, but I have stock to go with all the MS-6 systems to build.

I just listened to the noise floors of a few standard and the SlimQ and there was no question it was quieter.  Would have to get an adapter to make noise floor measurements and see if the switching frequency is visible with the equipment I have. 

I asked SlimQ if they have noise floor specs, but will see if they provide any.

Best,
Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »
Hi Nick,
I started using the external GaN USBC power supply from the start of the MS-6 Music Server builds, so Feb '21.

They are SlimQ GaN 45 watt USBC PD charger style power supplies.  No longer sold, but I have stock to go with all the MS-6 systems to build.

I just listened to the noise floors of a few standard and the SlimQ and there was no question it was quieter.  Would have to get an adapter to make noise floor measurements and see if the switching frequency is visible with the equipment I have. 

I asked SlimQ if they have noise floor specs, but will see if they provide any.

Best,
Rich

Thanks, Rich. I’ll trust your keen ears and judgment

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord