Author Topic: Rip DVD audio to wav?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Rip DVD audio to wav?
« on: March 29, 2022, 10:22:55 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good way to extract the stereo tracks from a concert DVD to wav or flac, etc. without loss of fidelity?

The method I am thinking of is using VLC Media player, but I thought there might be a more efficient way. I think this method will rip it into one big file with no chapters or track breaks.

Paul

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Rip DVD audio to wav?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 09:27:24 AM »
Paul,
Does it state what format the audio was put on DVD as stereo or multichannel?  Could be DVD-A, MP4 or other.  Those are the most prevalent with MP4 being a standard.   

MP4 is lossy encoded audio where DVD-A can be lossless audio.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 09:14:08 PM »
If you do a google search you will find quite a few commercial software packages that will rip audio tracks from a DVD. With a little research I am sure you can find one with a feature set and price that will fit your needs.

But keep in mind that most commercial DVD have some sort of copy protection and depending on what they use it may or may not impede your ability to get the audio tracks on any given disc.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline malloy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »
Paul,
Does it state what format the audio was put on DVD as stereo or multichannel?  Could be DVD-A, MP4 or other.  Those are the most prevalent with MP4 being a standard.   

MP4 is lossy encoded audio where DVD-A can be lossless audio.

That is a good question. Some have LPCM(?) others have some other formats, I think.

Offline malloy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 10:38:03 PM »
If you do a google search you will find quite a few commercial software packages that will rip audio tracks from a DVD. With a little research I am sure you can find one with a feature set and price that will fit your needs.

But keep in mind that most commercial DVD have some sort of copy protection and depending on what they use it may or may not impede your ability to get the audio tracks on any given disc.

I might try this: https://www.dvdae.com/

DVD Audio extractor. There is a trial version that can rip 15 minutes for free.