Author Topic: Speaker Designs  (Read 5003 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Speaker Designs
« on: April 23, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
  Ya have a favorite design ? Two way, Single Driver, Planar, Electrostatic ? and why. I prefer single driver and two way designs for their simplicity and cohesiveness. A linear presentation.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Speaker Designs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 02:18:47 PM »
I haven’t been very creative over the years trying different designs, although nowadays, I sure wish I had done so. Basically have just used two ways and MTM, with the exception being the Shahinian Diapasons.

I’d love to try a Spatial or Rethm, for example, but the price to satisfy my curiosity would be too steep. There’s also the issue of weight with some of these designs. I just don’t want to deal with that at my age.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »
There is no one single solution. I prefer dynamic speakers, no need to be complex 3 way max. i like ribbon for detail but generally they dont have the dynamics of a conventional speaker. I think electrostatics dont have enough meat on the bones for me personally. no soul. Planars can have a sonic signature that I dislike.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 03:39:08 PM »
Designs that use large drivers are preferable to me. I’ve done the smaller multiple bass driver designs and I just prefer the meatier presentation of a large driver. In the same vein, I’ve always liked 2 ways that use a large driver and I don’t mind the trade off of less detail of said driver at higher frequencies. Paper and paper composite drivers are my preference. The AMT tweeter in my Legacy Focus was my favorite sounding high frequency driver.
I have a friend in Florida that can’t get enough treble and has opposite tastes in reproduction. It’s not an age thing; I’ve known him since we were 12, and it’s always been his preference. To each his own...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 12:04:37 AM »
Designs that use large drivers are preferable to me. I’ve done the smaller multiple bass driver designs and I just prefer the meatier presentation of a large driver. In the same vein, I’ve always liked 2 ways that use a large driver and I don’t mind the trade off of less detail of said driver at higher frequencies. Paper and paper composite drivers are my preference. The AMT tweeter in my Legacy Focus was my favorite sounding high frequency driver.
I have a friend in Florida that can’t get enough treble and has opposite tastes in reproduction. It’s not an age thing; I’ve known him since we were 12, and it’s always been his preference. To each his own...
I get you.

You are talking about what I call "sense of scale". 

There are small speakers that can reproduce essentially full range frequency response.  They cannot however, move the volume of air necessary to move our perception to the suspension of disbelief that gives an illusion of reality.  This is why I prefer high sensitivity systems capable of moving a lot of air in the appropriate frequency ranges.  GR Research open baffle subs absolutely rule with extension down into the 'teens...  An experience, for sure!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 04:11:30 AM »
Extended range open baffle planar over OB servo subs.

OB Push-Pull planars and OB servo subs just sound like music in its original space to me when done correctly.

Dropping off a Berning EA-230 PA with David to get checked out and do the auto bias mod. Should be an interesting contrast to the Orchard Audio Starkrimson monoblocks driving the planars.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 05:00:27 AM »
I'll just have to live with my old box speakers that lack anything bigger than 6 1/2" woofers.  With neither huge drivers or Servo Subs.... poor, poor me.

Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
  Good responses so far. Scale and moving air is another perk from larger speakers. At times I miss my Pipedreams speakers for that reason. However the timbre, harmonics and linear presentation is the key for me.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 07:44:06 AM »
I'll just have to live with my old box speakers that lack anything bigger than 6 1/2" woofers.  With neither huge drivers or Servo Subs.... poor, poor me.

I feel your pain, poor Guy.

charles

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »

I feel your pain, poor Guy.

charles
Maybe we could take up a collection...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »

Please, cash only.  Wife needs to know nothing about anything involving stereo and money.   :thumb:
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 02:12:48 PM »

Please, cash only.  Wife needs to know nothing about anything involving stereo and money.   :thumb:

Hmmm...apparently one secret to a happy marriage  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 02:19:01 PM »

Hmmm...apparently one secret to a happy marriage  :thumb:

It's more of I don't ask why she needs more shoes, and she doesn't ask why records come in the mail. 
You just don't fix it if it ain't broken. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 09:53:43 AM »

Si Senor. Have a similar situation. Lucky us.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 10:30:56 AM »

Si Senor. Have a similar situation. Lucky us.

charles
Oh, yeah.  I've left off a zero in my explanations before!

8)
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe