Author Topic: Cable Support Plate  (Read 7878 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Cable Support Plate
« on: February 11, 2021, 09:32:01 PM »
Check this out. An outlet cover that has brackets to help hold heavy audiophile power cables in place.

A bit pricey, but a really good idea.

TAS Article: https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/an-interview-with-john-bring-of-cable-support-plate

https://www.cablesupportplate.com/products
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 09:39:16 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Cable Support Plate
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38:01 PM »
Brilliant!  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 04:47:29 AM »
Speaking of this- what do you do at the back of the equipment itself? I find that an issue with my power cords. I currently (no pun intended) use a folded up paper towel as a support, as the IEC outlet is no match for a beefy cord.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 05:54:13 AM »
I actually made a kind of sling to hold the cord on the back of my Hagerman phono stage. Just a cord looped on a clip. The clip hooks onto the top of the unit and the cord goes down and around the plug then back up to the clip. I used a slipknot loop so I can adjust the tension. Works like a charm.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:12:57 AM »
  Great idea if you have receptacles that are not tight. I use Furutch NCF, Voodoo and PIAudio. ALL grip like a like a Pitbull. Zero sagging. Where I have sagging is at IEC connection with certain PCs.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
If you turn the socket "upside down" it'll hold itself generally.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 10:51:45 AM »
If you turn the socket "upside down" it'll hold itself generally.
Yeah,  the "commercial" installation.  The ground pin is in control.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 08:11:40 AM »
Speaking of this- what do you do at the back of the equipment itself? I find that an issue with my power cords. I currently (no pun intended) use a folded up paper towel as a support, as the IEC outlet is no match for a beefy cord.

Exactly Jim. One can wrap IEC with tape or use a support between underside of IEC and shelf. I found some old Mapleshade cork/rubber isolation ft. Split them in half and were a perfect fit for every component. Lucky find.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »
Brilliant!  :thumb:

Yes agree however a rip off at $100 for mold injected plastic product.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »
Just for the record, it states on their web site (shown in the original post in this thread) that these plates are manufactured using a 3D Printing technology, so they are not injection molded.

But that said,  the $100 price is no more of a rip off than anything else in this hobby. Hi End audio products are generally not priced based on the cost of production, but rather based on what the manufacturer thinks will be the perceived value to the customer of the improvement they get to their system. Do you really think that the costs of the parts and assembly of a $32k DAC justifies that price? Of course not,  they price it at $32k because they think there are enough audiophiles out there that will think it provides $32k worth of performance. This case is no different. If enough people think that it is worth $100 to keep their power cords from pulling out or away from the plugs, then they will sell a lot of them and be able to maintain that price. If it does not sell well at $100 the company will have top decide if it is worth lowering the price to make more sales or should they just kill the product. That is just simple supply and demand economics. Any rational business will sell their product at the highest price they can get without deminishing total profits.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 10:04:24 PM »
Just for the record, it states on their web site (shown in the original post in this thread) that these plates are manufactured using a 3D Printing technology, so they are not injection molded.

But that said,  the $100 price is no more of a rip off than anything else in this hobby. Hi End audio products are generally not priced based on the cost of production, but rather based on what the manufacturer thinks will be the perceived value to the customer of the improvement they get to their system. Do you really think that the costs of the parts and assembly of a $32k DAC justifies that price? Of course not,  they price it at $32k because they think there are enough audiophiles out there that will think it provides $32k worth of performance. This case is no different. If enough people think that it is worth $100 to keep their power cords from pulling out or away from the plugs, then they will sell a lot of them and be able to maintain that price. If it does not sell well at $100 the company will have top decide if it is worth lowering the price to make more sales or should they just kill the product. That is just simple supply and demand economics. Any rational business will sell their product at the highest price they can get without deminishing total profits.
I guess I'm irrational  :thumb:

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2021, 07:01:49 AM »

Or raise the price and sell more lol  :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2021, 07:07:29 AM »

Plastic for $100 IMHO is a rip Mommy. A 32K DAC is a rip as well. Well unless you can afford it.

charles
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 07:09:08 AM by rollo »

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 07:45:11 AM »
These days you can almost buy a 3D printer for the cost of two of the 2 plug style for those faceplates and make them and other things as well. 

Always wanted to try one out.  Have a few other ideas for parts that would be to expensive to mfg. but could be 3D printed. 

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 08:07:14 AM »
It looks like something I could make with a hack saw, a piece of pvc, a face plate, and tube of epoxy.  If I wanted to get fancy, I could drill a few holes and use a few toothpicks, a couple of rubber bands, and hold everything in place and together while the glue dries.  Looks like a $10 and 10 minute project.   
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub