Author Topic: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard  (Read 19256 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: what is the best sounding Class D amp you've ever heard
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
Well I have the Starkrimson on Loan (Tour) and I can tell you it is an awesome amp. I compared it to the Peachtree Gan400, Benchmark AHB2, NAD M33, and it came out on top. It excels in clarity, depth, separation between instruments, weightiness, and sense of space. It is truly an exceptional amp. I will be placing an order for one.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »
See I told all you nay sayers
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »
I received the Starkrimson Ultra yesterday via the Steve Hoffman tour. It’s been on a little over 24 hours. It is one fine amp. Evan was right and confirmed by Jimbones. The 2 things that struck me immediately were the extra detail and weightiness as Jim says. My AVA SET 120 does well, but the Ultra is 250w a channel vs 60w for the SET 120.

I have a Hapa Aero RCA silver digital coax coming Thursday for evaluation. Jason polishes each one by hand, just like Dave polishes the receptacles on the UBERBUSS units. I expect great things from the Aero. The evaluation is being done using my Fritz Carrera speakers.

The best Class D amp I’ve heard were the Merrill Element 118 Monos.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2023, 11:46:08 AM »
I had the Starkrimson here last month from his tour.  That is what I ordered

Well I have the Starkrimson on Loan (Tour) and I can tell you it is an awesome amp. I compared it to the Peachtree Gan400, Benchmark AHB2, NAD M33, and it came out on top. It excels in clarity, depth, separation between instruments, weightiness, and sense of space. It is truly an exceptional amp. I will be placing an order for one.

I received the Starkrimson Ultra yesterday via the Steve Hoffman tour. It’s been on a little over 24 hours. It is one fine amp. Evan was right and confirmed by Jimbones. The 2 things that struck me immediately were the extra detail and weightiness as Jim says. My AVA SET 120 does well, but the Ultra is 250w a channel vs 60w for the SET 120.

I have a Hapa Aero RCA silver digital coax coming Thursday for evaluation. Jason polishes each one by hand, just like Dave polishes the receptacles on the UBERBUSS units. I expect great things from the Aero. The evaluation is being done using my Fritz Carrera speakers.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

For anybody else looking to join the tour see here:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/page-18#post-31672277

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2023, 05:49:27 PM »

I enjoyed the Starkrimson Ultra so much that I bought the tour amp.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2023, 10:40:24 PM »

:thumb:  God on you and good on Leo!

I love it when us "little guys" punch above our weight class. We tend to serve the music, not profits!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »

:thumb:  God on you and good on Leo!

I love it when us "little guys" punch above our weight class. We tend to serve the music, not profits!

You know how much I like my AVA SET 120, so Leo’s amp is special that I’d want to part with the SET 120. I’m happy for the smaller manufacturers. It’s a win win as I can get a very good product for a good price. And if there are issues, I’d rather deal with an individual or smaller companies.

I need to do a review on Leo’s amp at the Steve Hoffman forum. But I’ll just say one prominent feature on the Ultra is the ability to retrieve additional detail.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2023, 11:53:05 AM »
Nick's review from SMAF:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/page-21#post-31774018

Thank you very much Nick for you time and effort.

Leo, it was my pleasure to review and buy this wonderful amp. I will likely upgrade it as I found an excellent repair shop in Las Vegas an hour away.

To summarize the amp’s capabilities:

1) tremendous clarity
2) increased resolution
3) balance across the musical spectrum
4) best reproduction of piano and brass instruments ever in my system
5) beautiful reproduction of female voices without harshness or sibilance
6) beautiful reproduction of male vocals with a very rich character
7) wonderful additional timbre to vocals and instruments
8)ability to dig deep into the soundstage and hear voices and chorus and identify individual voices with the chorus
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 11:55:12 AM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2023, 06:12:30 PM »
Nick/Leo,

I'm viewing the Orchard Audio website now, and I see there are three levels of the Starkrimson Ultra - standard/base, Add 37,600uF, and dual mono w28,200uF per channel. Which version is the tour amp? [Forgive me if this has already been stated, but I just don't have time to surf through four pages of posts right now.]

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2023, 06:14:56 PM »
Nick/Leo,

I'm viewing the Orchard Audio website now, and I see there are three levels of the Starkrimson Ultra - standard/base, Add 37,600uF, and dual mono w28,200uF per channel. Which version is the tour amp? [Forgive me if this has already been stated, but I just don't have time to surf through four pages of posts right now.]

Michael

The amp that Nick evaluated is the middle configuration, base with capacitor (Add 37,600uF) upgrade ($2900 MSRP).

This post on SHMF summarizes the whole tour and links to all the reviews:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/page-21#post-31788480

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2023, 06:19:52 PM »
Nick/Leo,

Michael

The amp that Nick evaluated is the middle configuration, base with capacitor (Add 37,600uF) upgrade ($2900 MSRP).

This post here on SHMF summararize the whole tour and links to all the reviews:
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/orchard-audio-starkrimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/page-21#post-31788480

Thank you Michael for the question and Leo for answering. I wasn’t aware of that :)
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2023, 12:34:22 AM »
Nick/Leo,

Michael

This post on SHMF summarizes the whole tour and links to all the reviews:

Thank you, Leo.

Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »
Many of the Class D amps are really good now. I ended up with a NAD M23. Found one at a fair price in perfect condition.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2023, 02:42:00 PM »
It's been several years since I've heard a class D amp.  The one I remember was supposedly a 150WPC integrated but wasn't any more powerful than a 15 wpc 6BQ5 amp Gary Dodd built for me. 
I assume all of those type issues are in the past??
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub