Author Topic: Grover Huffman Speaker Cables  (Read 20007 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Grover Huffman Speaker Cables
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
I connected the SCs last night, got about 5 hours on them so far, and they have improved drastically in that small time. Nothing to report yet, other than they do require break in ;) They are also nicely made, with bare silver wire ends. They are biwire, with separate conductors for bass and M/T connected together inside the cable near the amp posts. They are covered in black flex, and are fairly flexible.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:01:30 PM »
If I remember correctly, Grover is running a different wire for bass and M/T.   Should be interesting ... I'm still hoping I might see you guys on Saturday but won't likely know for sure until that morning.

Any info on Grover's pricing on the SC?   I seem to remember seeing it somewhere but couldn't find it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »
Last I saw it was $70/foot for the biwire, but that is at least a year old price I saw on hoffman forum. I think Grover posted prices here more recently, but I could be wrong. The bass wire is a little larger than the MT wire, at least on the outside of the insulation.  But with silver conductors, it's all still pretty thin! I hope you can come, too, Mike.

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 06:14:45 PM »
It would be interesting to know what the single run cable would cost, and if he would consider spades on the speaker ends.  I want to be able to use my Walker HDLs, and you really need a spade for that to be effective.

-- Jim

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
Rich,,, a big Thank You for co-ordinating this--george :lol:

Offline richidoo

Re: Grover Huffman Speaker Cables
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:00:42 PM »
No problem George. I hope you like the cables. Sorry, but I split this topic just a moment after you posted, and don't know how to move yours back to the right thread :oops:

Anyhooo, Grover is mountain climbing next two weeks, but I'll ask his assistant Sherie for SC prices, she was quick to reply to a question this morning.

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 07:08:25 PM »
Guys:

On June 28, 2007 I received a PM from Grover concerning his speaker cables.  He quoted me the following:  My single cable speaker cable at 7 ft. costs $280, bi-wire $490.

I purchased Reality SCs from Gregg because many on this board and on AC had heard them and few had experience with the Grovers.  I am certainly looking forward to hearing them on Saturday. 

Ken

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:13:42 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »
in February I asked Grover for a price on an 8ft. biwire pair of mid and tweeter SCs (I don't need bass - that's handled by an IC to a plate amp.)  He gave me a price of $380. 

Group buy or not I'll probably be buying these next - just need to get the ICs installed and cooked.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 04:54:18 AM »
If we have a group buy ,,please count me in.  :clap:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 06:07:46 PM »
I heard them last night and thought they were quite nice... might be worth a shot for the $....

Keep in mind that SC's are very dependent on your amp/speaker combo... I'm using Reality Cables which are awesome in my system... and then I heard them in Rich's system where they sounded fair at best.  I've tried a slew of SC's that just didn't work for me... and I know others have experienced the same.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 07:17:11 AM »
You got that right. There is no one cable for all systems.  Period end of story. Every cable will sound different in each system its placed. SYNERGY,SYNGERY,SYNGERY. Good luck.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

kwuke

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:14:36 PM »
actually not my experience at all...the cable does not change, the system's 'sound' changes

cables maintain their characteristics from system to system

therefore i found grover's UR8 unbearable in all 3 of my systems. where silversmith silver and kondo  KSL-LPz made each system shine  ( i really thought this IC sucked large, and trashed it, despite putting on more than 700 hours on it)

grovers SC (whites) were   decent in all 3 systems and similar characteristics were displayed, but the overall sound was different as each of the 3 systems are biased towards different purposes using different equipment

the bedroom system uses grover  speaker cable which several years back were in my main system...and guess what?! they display the exact same characteristics as they did in the main system....easy to listen to, nice midrange,  but not as revealing of all system changes as say Goertz AG2, or Kondo KSL-SPz (both of which i own too)

i recommend Grovers speaker cable to everyone who is looking for value and does not want to play the merry go round cable world as i believe they are that good....

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 06:58:26 AM »
kwuke,
            You mean its neutral to the system. Cool. This could be a first. Thanks for the input. The nervosa is peaking I just may have to take the plunge soon.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
I replaced a pair of Reality SCs with a pair of HT Pro 9s.  The HTs were a tremendous improvement in my system.  I heard the Reality SCs versus the Grovers at the last G2G at Rich's and everyone present felt the Grovers sounded superior.  I would like to sometime have the opportunity to demo the Grovers versus the HTs in my system.

Ken