Author Topic: xrcd  (Read 29166 times)

biglou

xrcd
« on: August 18, 2007, 07:49:02 PM »
i may be able to set up an xrcd group buy, i have not contacted the source and would first like to gauge interest. comments, thoughts, what kind of realistic discount would get you interested?
cheers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: xrcd
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:37 AM »
I would be interested. Do you need a special player to play them? How do they work?
Rich

biglou

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 07:09:59 AM »
nope. its just a proprietary process for mastering a recording. here's some JVC propaganda:
"JVC has painstakingly gone through every step of the mastering and manufacturing process with
the goal of retaining the highest sonic purity of the original music. This was accomplished not by just
measuring the results, but in extensive listening tests to determine the best configuration. Every com-
bination of equipment, connections , AC power regulation, word clock distribution, mastering format,
delivery system and compact disc construction was tested. The results is the xrcd, a compact disc
that offers clearer definition, more accurate imaging, and higher audio quality than any compact disc
before.
The xrcd process starts at the mastering level. The analog signal is taken directly from the mastering
console and digitized using JVC’s 20 Bit K2 Super Coding. The K2 is a 20 bit, 128 times over-sam-
pling analog to digital converter which provides a dynamic range of 108 dB, -96db THD, flat frequency
response in the passband to within +/- .05dB, and a substantial reduction of harmonic distortion for
low level signals. The K2 Super Coding also provides a bit down mode to convert 20 bits to 16 bits,
and interface signal reshaping to eliminate time base jitter in the digital data stream.
These two functions are taken advantage of during manufacturing. The 20 bit digital signal is then
transferred to a PCM-9000 using SDIF-2. The PCM-9000 stores the information on a magneto-optical
disk instead of transferring it to the U-matic 1630 format tape. The xrcd process takes advantage of
the stability of the magneto-optical disk, as well as its 20 bit capacity, by using it as the audio storage
medium for delivery to manufacturing.
At the JVC manufacturing plant in Yokohama, the 20 bit PCM-9000 magneto-optical disk is converted
to 16 bits using the K2 Super Coding in bit down mode, via a SDIF-2 connection. This stage resolves
the high resolution 20 bit signal to 16 bits while retaining the integrity of the low level information,
which insures a true 16 bit dynamic range without using noise shaping. The 16 bit signal is then EFM
encoded.
Another K2 circuit, called the K2 Laser, is used to reshape the EFM signal right before going to the
laser of the glass cutter. This last stage is the same circuit used for the K2 Super Coding interface,
which eliminates any time based jitter that may be present in the data stream. Throughout this pro-
cess, the word clock is amplified and distributed to the other stages to keep signal quality at a maxi-
mum. Similarly, all equipment is run off regulated AC power feeds to provide a pure base from which
to work. All cables and connections between equipment use the SDIF-2 interface for sonic quality
and music integrity. Tests determined the SDIF-2 offered a superior transmission of digital audio, far
above the AES/EBU standard. A variety of materials, including 24K gold and pure copper were tested.
Ultimately aluminum was decided upon after extensive listening tests. The end result of this manufac-
turing process is the highest quality digital transfer from mastering to compact disc."

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »
Depending on the type of music available, I might be interested in a group buy. Is there a catalog available anywhere?

WEEZ

biglou

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:57:02 AM »
www.elusivedisc.com is now the US Distributor and have the full list of xrcd titles. in order to get much of a break we'd need to commit to a fairly large order. most xrcd titles are in the "audiophile genre" meaning alot of jazz and unusual music, and not much rock/pop... i'll see what people think this week and explore what kind of discounts may be available.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
I've got about a dozen or so XRCDs.   While a bit pricey at list price, they are definitely excellent recordings.

I think a group buy on music would be awesome.   Depending upon the discount, count me in for a few!   Who are you thinking of working with?   Any chance vinyl might be an option as well? 

biglou

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »
i'm going to ask Bob Bantz of elusive disc. i know bob, but have yet to explore this idea with him. for simplicity i was just going to ask about xrcds due to easier packing, the fact that he is the US distributor, and that it would keep orders fairly simple. my GUESS is that he has more room to wiggle with xrcd, than say Classic Records.

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
Count me in too.

-- Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »
I've browsed the titles...and depending on the price..there are definately a few I would be interested in..

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Tyler, that is cool. Seems like they are trying to eliminate distortion from the entire mastering > printing process.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »
Might be interested in 1 or 2 discs.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 06:54:01 AM »
I might be interested in a couple.  Just need to find time to peruse the selection.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:06:04 AM »
I'm not nuts about browsing randomly through titles... but I'd be very interested in buying at least a couple.  Why couldn't they break it down a bit?  If anyone sees any good acoustic rock, let me know.
-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

biglou

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 10:27:02 AM »
i'm waiting to hear back from Bob. my sense thus far is that there is not enough interest to warrant a big discount. i'll let everyone know when i hear back from bob.
cheers

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 11:31:05 AM »
See if you can get a sense of what "big enough" would be... I think the XRCD discs are exceptional and rarely can be found at a discount beyond 10%.