Author Topic: SAS Audio Labs Reference 11a Preamp Tour  (Read 62572 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SAS Audio Labs Reference 11a Preamp Tour
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »
71 lbs. is a bit heavy... I'll send a PM with more thoughts...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
I guess setting up a DHL account would be the easiest way to ship with them?

OOPS, I meant me setting up my own account with DHL so they will come to pick it up and I won't have to drive to a drop off desk. You paying for everyone's shipping is not what I was implying!!! Sorry for the confusion.
Rich

Re wrote.

I understand Rich. No problem.

I know, Carl, that is alot of weight. The last tour, on AC, I had no problems (except with one reviewer who dropped the preamp after unpacking). I want to make sure you are protected since you are taking care of the deposit.

Maybe, everyone would have to purchase a new outer box before shipping? I think it is just a few bucks?

What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:18:21 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
Unfortunately, 71 pounds of shipping fee ($100?) would make it a flyover for me.

Inner and outer tri-ply heavy duty boxes should protect it well enough. Insurance is always there in case of a real disaster.

I always thought that overpackaging would entice the rascals working the loading dock to deliberately test it. If it weighed 71 pounds they might not set it down so gently. "It can take it, it's packed in wood!" I am a certified pessimist.

WEEZ

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
I agree with Rich...

In a former life I did some packaging design :roll:..... :lol:

The regular box; placed in an outer tri-wall with foam in-between the inner and outer box should be sufficient. Too little; and the shipper will damage it. Too much and they'll damage it worse :D

Also, just an FYI; in my home town, DHL has a lousy reputation. Fed-EX I can personnally say is worse. Believe it or not, UPS is the best here locally. But I'll use whatever the concensus is....

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »
The regular box; placed in an outer tri-wall with foam in-between the inner and outer box should be sufficient. Too little; and the shipper will damage it. Too much and they'll damage it worse
I agree Don....worked for me when I ship things...I'd add 2-3" of heavy bubble wrap around the preamp first, then it goes into the first box. 8)

As for carrier....all the stuff I sent as "loanwolf"...always went FedEx....and it all survived.

Chris

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I still have some reservations concerning UPS, but whatever one has best luck with, I don't see a big problem. I defer to Carl for thumbs up or down.

Probably no need to mention this, but may I also suggest when one writes a review, that one includes peripherals, such as ICs, speaker cable, and power cords etc?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:24:29 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 02:04:13 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I still have some reservations concerning UPS, but whatever one has best luck with, I don't see a big problem. I defer to Carl for thumbs up or down.

Probably no need to mention this, but may I also suggest when one writes a review, that one includes peripherals, such as ICs, speaker cable, and power cords etc?

I give it the thumbs up given that people will take care to ship the best way they know.  We're a responsible bunch here and I expect things will go well.  The double box of cardboard seems sufficient to me.

Let's get this party started! :) 

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 06:10:54 PM »
Preamp should be leaving as soon as the deposit arrives. Included is a pair of Low capacitance ICs, for the output of the preamp (in case one does not have a pair) and Stereophile CD3, which I treated and one wants to try out track 10 or any track 1-10. (Higher tracks are for testing purposes and one does at one's own risk).

I will post when I ship to Bunky (Will send tracking number pm. Let the auditions begin.

SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »
Cool.. Check is going out in tomorrow's mail.

BTW, Rich and I would like to have the preamp come around our way the 20th of August... thereabouts... For a big gathering he's hosting.

-C

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just a few tidbits concerning operation of the 11A. The front is self explanatory, except that when the mute function activates it will take approx 45 seconds to cycle, before sound. This occurs with any power interruption.

On the back there are several functions.

Next to the fuse is a toggle switch that works 'sideways'. This is the AC power polarity reversal switch. It can be changed on the fly, but may activate the mute circuit. Try each way and choose for best sound.

Next to the output jacks is a knob to control the low end response. It can be adjusted on the 'fly', with the power on. When it is adjusted, it may take 20 minutes or more for the sound to fully stablize. It appears that adjusting this control acts the same as if an IC was just plugged in.

Next to the knob is a toggle switch that controls the very top end. Not much mind you. Up position is off and down is activated.

Use of low capacitance ICs on the output is recommended for best performance. My "V"s are 40pf total. The less capacitance the better, but up to 100pf is acceptable.

Might try my "V" ICs both ways. On the plug of each is a color band, red and black respectively.

That is about it. Enjoy.
SAS Test Phono Stage

WEEZ

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
Rich/Carl/Steve,

Is there a 'schedule', or 'order of audition' list yet? Just curious...

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »
Here's a draft list of the shipping order. I'm open to suggestions that make more sense. I think it is already going to Bunky first.

Bunky
Carlman (Please arrive 8/20ish for G2G on 25th)
Richidoo
LonewolfNY42
Woodsya
DangerBird
Biglou
WEEZ
mca

The shipping fee out west to Mike will be proportionately higher than the other stops, so I moved that leg to the closest person to Mike, which without looking at a map I think is Don. The next longest leg is up to Chris, so I will take that one. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears. Mike you can ship back to Steve, or whoever else jumps in along the way until either Steve or Carl say "enough is enough"
Thank you!
Rich

WEEZ

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »
A few zig-zag's. :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »
If possible....could I get delivery close to Sept. 15th....there's a Rave that day...should be a good turn out (on L.I.)...with many ears to listen, and more comments... 8)

Maybe I can drop back behind Woodsya (Rim?)....thanks guys !!! :D

Chris

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 05:50:03 AM »
Rich,

I am in between you and Chris.  I can take it before Chris if the timing works out but I don't think there is time.  The way I figure it, Carl has it from Aug 20-27; you, 29 to Sept 5.  Chris gets it around the 10th for the RAVE on the 15th and I get it after.  I can try to get the Bolder/Bent/Burson "preamp" to my place around that time to compare the three: Modwright, SAS and BBB.  I will call in some MAAC guys to do some listening.
I am a nut.