Author Topic: Are we going to do a Grover Hoffman speaker cable group buy ?  (Read 25850 times)

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
Re: Are we going to do a Grover Hoffman speaker cable group buy ?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 01:48:31 AM »
I have been told by Grover that some of his speaker wire is on the way to me to try out but as of today, I don't have it so I can't comment on the differences between the two.

Any update re: Grover's speaker wire?
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 09:04:38 AM »
Well..... :? I'm not sure what to say. Grover sent me some new interconnects to replace some older ones I had purchased and then had subsequently sent back to him when he came out with newer version and at the same time according to Grover I was supposed to receive some speaker wire to audition but the speaker wire was a no show and was not included in the package.

I haven't heard from Grover on why it wasn't included, so for the time being I continue to use Reality Speaker wire with no complaints. Gregg makes very nice stuff and I would have no problem leaving any of his products in my system. I'm currently in the process of switching back and forth between Grover's ic's and Gregg's ic's just to see what shakes.

If the speaker wire does ever show up I will post something here.

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »
Well..... :? I'm not sure what to say. Grover sent me some new interconnects to replace some older ones I had purchased and then had subsequently sent back to him when he came out with newer version and at the same time according to Grover I was supposed to receive some speaker wire to audition but the speaker wire was a no show and was not included in the package.

I haven't heard from Grover on why it wasn't included, so for the time being I continue to use Reality Speaker wire with no complaints. Gregg makes very nice stuff and I would have no problem leaving any of his products in my system. I'm currently in the process of switching back and forth between Grover's ic's and Gregg's ic's just to see what shakes.

If the speaker wire does ever show up I will post something here.

Wow... it's like déjà vu, except it's happening to you instead of me!   

I don't suppose you've received any accusatory e-mails, have you John?  You'll need one (or more :roll:) to complete the trifecta. 

Commiserating from afar,

-Jim

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 07:24:36 PM »
Grover and I have been enjoying a friendly email banter. He is planning to send a set of his best biwire SCs to me for comparison to the broad collection of quality SCs living with triangle area audiophiles. I anticipate the SCs will come along with the IC order, but not definite on that. We will have a 'lil SC shootout and if the 'powers that be' (Carl) say thumbs up, then I'm game to go another round of GB!
Rich

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 03:08:46 AM »
Grover and I have been enjoying a friendly email banter.
Rich
Achtung! The above activity must cease and desist! Nothing at the moment must deflect Herr Grover from the massive yet precise and careful undertaking of quickly filling the Grover IC Group Buy II orders. All those disobeying this directive will horribly suffer the pains of living with inferior audio gear and be subject to random bouts of tinnitus. This is your final warning! 
:lmc:
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 04:13:29 AM »
Grover and I have been enjoying a friendly email banter.
Rich
Achtung! The above activity must cease and desist! Nothing at the moment must deflect Herr Grover from the massive yet precise and careful undertaking of quickly filling the Grover IC Group Buy II orders. All those disobeying this directive will horribly suffer the pains of living with inferior audio gear and be subject to random bouts of tinnitus. This is your final warning! 
:lmc:
Jawohl!
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 06:55:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to the SC shootout... I screwed up my Reality cables, and Gregg repaired and returned them to me with 2 sets of jumpers to compare as well. 

I was using Piega's birwire SC's... which is the same cable as used internally... With the Reality's back into the mix, I'm much happier with the sound.  (another head-scratching, why-should-it-be situation)

I haven't experimented with the second pair of jumpers because it's somewhat difficult to do with the Piega posts... but I will.  The current cables needed a little re-burn-in anyway.

As to Group Buy's, I was thinking of approaching someone other than cable-making and planned to ask suggestions.  (more later)

Plus, I think at the price, people are more interested in hearing Grover's SC's than actually buying (blindly/deafly)... $100 for IC's isn't much risk but 7-10 times that is a different story.  So, maybe a tour would be a better idea?  I wouldn't even link it to a GB yet... I've never heard them and I don't know anyone who has.  So, that's my opinion on the matter.  I'm not going to stop anyone from doing a GB on anything but wanted to let you know my thoughts.

Have fun,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 07:12:00 AM »
I would certainly like to hear a pair of the Grover bi-wires after I receive/burn in the ic's.  :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
All those disobeying this directive will horribly suffer the pains of living with inferior audio gear and be subject to random bouts of tinnitus. :lmc:

OK, OK! I will not interrupt him anymore, at least until you get yours. ;)

I'm thinking last Saturday of August for the SC shootout at my place.
Rich

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
I am using Grover S bi-wire speaker cables and find them excellent. 
Maybe 5 years ago ditched some thick stranded copper speaker cables in clear plastic when the ends started showing green coloration and went with Element Cable Twisted Pair speaker cables. Then looked at the Grover/Wolff Empress reviews but didn't buy anything until Grover Huffman and Michael Wolff had parted ways, so I ended up getting Grover's UR speaker cables (and later a single earlier version 6-foot Grover SR speaker cable for center channel). 

I inquired of Grover re any speaker cable changes when he came out with the Grover S IC and he said he had changed the speaker cables to Grover S and that his Grover S bi-wires were his best for use with my (bi-wireable) Polk Audio SDA-SRS-2 front l/r speakers.  So I moved the Grover UR speaker cables to the l/r surrounds.

I would second having an audition tour of Grover's speaker cables for folks here to audition in their own systems to compare to whatever speaker cables they use now --- before any group buy.
And it might be useful to have any audition tour of the speaker cables after receiving the latest Grover S ICs from the 2nd group buy and having them burned in and some listening experience with those in your system with your present speaker cables...to be able to better judge any "synergy" aspect of using all Grover cabling through system...

System:

front l/r: stock Denon 3910 > white Grover S ICs > Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature with Bendix 6900s and cryoed Philips metal base GZ34 NOS 1957 > white Grover S ICs > Odyssey Mono Extreme SE amps with Klaus's "special boards" > Grover S bi-wire speaker cables > Polk Audio SRS-2 speakers (with custom SDA cable made from Grover UR speaker cable)

center: stock Denon 3910 > white Grover S IC > Sunfire Symphonic Reference preamp > white Grover S IC > Odyssey HT-3 power amp with capacitance upgrades > Grover SR speaker cable > Polk Audio Csi-5 speaker

l/r surround: stock Denon 3910 > white Grover S ICs > PS Audio PCA-2 preamp > white Grover S ICs > Odyssey HT-3 power amp with capacitance upgrade > Grover UR speaker cables > Polk Audio Fxi-5 speakers
"

Oyaide R1 wall outlets and Black Sand Silver Ref MKVs feed the 2 "Klaus's special board" Odyssey Mono Extreme SEs as well as the PS Audio Power Plant Premier which feeds via Black Sand Violets the sources and preamps...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:10:00 AM by rlmacklin »

jrebman

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
Looks interesting, but will it only be bi-wire?  System is in flux here (ugghh) though it looks like single-run will be staying for a while. (no Rich, doesn't look like the Audio Note gear is going to do it for me.)

-- Jim

Double Ugly

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 03:07:24 PM »
Looks interesting, but will it only be bi-wire? 

I can't swear to it, Jim, but from past conversations and e-mails exchanged with Grover, I believe bi-wiring is integral to Grover's SC design philosophy.  If I'm right, it's bi-wire or nothing.

Have you tried Gregg Straley's Reality SCs?  They're excellent IMO, good enough to replace much more expensive cables I'd used in my system for over 2 years. 

I didn't care for Gregg's ICs in the least, a fact that led me to believe the SCs would be no better.  But preconceived notions were quickly dispelled, and I now believe them superior to any SC I've heard or auditioned. 

I'm sure there's something better out there; there always is.  But Gregg's SCs are easily the best value I've run across, even at full retail.

-Jim

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 03:26:39 PM »
you would think that he would make single run SC's for those who dont want or need to Biwire. i will send him a E-mail and find out.thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 10:34:23 PM »
In the past the Biwire was the premium with single cables also available. When I told Grover about my speakers he said 'tsgotta be biwire for high current speakers. Don't know much else yet.

Jim R, sorry to hear that! You were so excited about the new system. I guess this means Linda gets to keep 'her' minimax-pre. Good for her! Not so good for me  :(  However it goes, I'm sure it will work out great.

jrebman

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »
Rich,

Actually, the Minimax and Signature 70s will be looking for new homes shortly -- as soon as I decide on a suitable tube integrated that will handle the Adagios nicely.  I just listened to the AN system 3 different times and in two different rooms over the course of a couple weeks and decided that while they are different from the Adagios, in total they are more of a lateral move than upgrade -- and at considerably more expense (and right now that doesn't seem like a good idea to me.)  I think a decent tube integrated will bring what I'm looking for to the Adagios (and perhaps the Response Audio crossover upgrade too.)  I actually very much like the Adagios, the synergy just isn't quite there with the current system -- all this courtesy of what I heard with the Grover ICs :D

Jim, thanks for that note -- very helpful.  In my system as it now exists the Reality's are just a bit too warm and rolled off a bit at the extremes, and just not as transparent, but if you say the character of the SCs is that much different, I believe you.  I also really need spades -- at least on the speaker ends -- because I want to be able to use my Walker Reference HDLs, and they simply won't work with pins or bare wire (which I normally think of as  sonically beneficial connections.)

I once had two pieces of Reality SC wire for my current setup, but in the end the 3 foot length didn't quite cut it so I never heard them -- but I know they're hefty and well built.

Thanks folks,

Jim