Author Topic: Are we going to do a Grover Hoffman speaker cable group buy ?  (Read 25218 times)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
 i am really excited about getting my hands on a few pairs of Grovers new and improved IC's through the 2nd round of the group buy. are his speaker cables giant killers and should we have a group buy on those also ? thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Are we going to do a Grover Hoffman speaker cable group buy ?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
Yup, we have the gears turning on that already. Grover is sending along a sample of his best biwire speaker wires (only $70/foot/pair.)  I hope we are able to offer a group buy in the future. Carl has a lot of great ideas for Group Buys so I'm not sure what's on tap next.
Rich

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »
Bunky ,

I have the Grover S bi-wire speaker cables, running from my "Klaus's special boards" Odyssey Mono Extreme SEs to Polk Audio SDA-SRS-2s I got from Dangerbird/George (he redid the crossovers with Solen caps and Mills ressitors and I put in the RD-0194 tweets).
I think you would like what they do for the music, especially with latest white Grover S ICs throughout system...

rlmacklin

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:21:57 PM »
I'm definately interested,,,any pic's? :drool:

biglou

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
i'd be in on this too! GH doesnt have a website does he?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
Grover doesn't have a website yet. You can contact him directly at groverhuffman@hotmail.com. He responds quickly.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »
Sorry guys,

No pics here yet that can transfer to computer (I haven't gone to digital camera - still shooting slides with my analog Nikons and Canon) .
But the Grover S bi-wire speaker cables are in the black techflex covering and terminations are 2 silver pins/wires at the amp end for each channel (color coded) and the speaker end terminations are 4 silver pins/wires per channel separated out about two-three feet from end to ensure reaching the speaker binding posts in case those are separated by some distance.
They share the same sonic character as Grover's ICs,
so I would say it is fair to call them "giantkillers" if you wish...

rlmacklin

LKdog

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 06:50:02 PM »
Yup, we have the gears turning on that already. Grover is sending along a sample of his best biwire speaker wires (only $70/foot/pair.)  I hope we are able to offer a group buy in the future. Carl has a lot of great ideas for Group Buys so I'm not sure what's on tap next.
Rich

Rich- If I read that correctly that would be $700 for a 10 foot pair?

Might be a little pricey for many people and kind of takes it out of the "giant killer" category.
That sort of actually makes it a giant to be killed.  :)

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »
Rich

Rich- If I read that correctly that would be $700 for a 10 foot pair?

Might be a little pricey for many people and kind of takes it out of the "giant killer" category.
That sort of actually makes it a giant to be killed.  :)

My single run 10' pair of Groneberg TS premium speaker cable retails on the Groneberg website in the neighborhood of $1500 per pair.i am not looking to Biwire so Grovers single run price on his top of the line cable should be less than $700 per 10' pair. thanks....WCW III
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 07:31:21 PM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 08:23:14 PM »
Sorry, that was price listed on Steve Hoffman's forum back in '05. I could not find any more current prices listed there. There are a few Grover threads on hoffman forum, totalling well over 100 pages. Lots of happy Grover wire users keeping those old threads going forever!

To me, a giant is BIG. Grover is not aiming to make a high value affordable wire, he is trying to make the best wire available at any price. This is evident by his consistent comments that his wires are better than brand X, often considered to be among the best available. His wires are priced like high value, mid priced wire, even affordable to some audiophiles. 500-1000 is the sweetspot price bracket for high end speaker wire. But he claims (and many people agree) that it performs among the best. Probably gonna be hard to beat Indra and Aluminata for $25/ft, but even $70/ft is only 7.5% of Aluminata's price!! Grover said yesterday, "I am sure my recent cables will better the Aluminatas." We'll listen carefully and find out, but I won't be surprised if they are awesome in their own way, based on my experience with his ICs, and not just "for the money."
Rich

LKdog

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »
Would love to hear them sometime.
I am using a DH Labs 10' bi-wire combination of T14 for tweeter and Q10 for midbass driver.

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 12:36:30 AM »
Probably gonna be hard to beat Indra and Aluminata for $25/ft, but even $70/ft is only 7.5% of Aluminata's price!!

There is no Indra speaker cable, so there is no "beat(ing)" it.

FWIW, I'm quite happy using Straley's SCs with the Indra.  I know quite a few others here also use Straley's SCs, so it'll be interesting learn how they compare with Grover's bi-wires in different systems.

-Jim

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 05:02:53 AM »
Roger,, If I understand correctly,you are using the grover bi-wires currently?

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 08:17:25 AM »
Danmgerbird/George,

Yes I am currently using latest Grover S bi-wire speaker cables for front left/right channels   :drool:
[Odyssey Mono Extreme SE power amps w/Klaus's "special boards" to Polk SDA-SRS-2s - purchased from you after you redid the crossovers - and I installed the new sweet RD-0194 tweeters (to replace those SL-2000s which have the harsh 13 kHZ peak!)].

I am running earlier Grover UR speaker cables on surrounds (Odyssey HT-3 w/capacitance upgrade to Polk FXi-5 speakers); and even earlier yet Grover SR single speaker cable on center channel (Odyssey HT-3 w/capacitance upgrade to Polk CSi-5 speaker).

If you recall, as I e-mailed you earlier, I did ask Grover whether any of his speaker cables could be purchased under the 2nd Grover group buy and he said they were not included.  But he said as your were a friend of mine, you were a friend of his, and one or both of us could contact him when you were ready to order and he would give what discount he could.

I hope a group buy for Grover's speaker cables comes to pass so more folks have a chance to use and enjoy them !!!

rlmacklin

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 10:17:24 AM »
Probably gonna be hard to beat Indra and Aluminata for $25/ft, but even $70/ft is only 7.5% of Aluminata's price!!

There is no Indra speaker cable, so there is no "beat(ing)" it.

FWIW, I'm quite happy using Straley's SCs with the Indra.  I know quite a few others here also use Straley's SCs, so it'll be interesting learn how they compare with Grover's bi-wires in different systems.

-Jim

Count me in as another user of Straley's speaker wire! I have been using it for a few weeks now and have been very pleased with what I'm hearing. It's a bit of a pain to work with but the performance is excellent. I have been told by Grover that some of his speaker wire is on the way to me to try out but as of today, I don't have it so I can't comment on the differences between the two.