Author Topic: Re: Dave's IC's  (Read 90529 times)

DaveC

Re: Dave's IC's
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Hi, no digital cables for the foreseeable future in my lineup... I haven't used a lot of different SPDIF cables but I would go with one that has a silver plated center conductor and BNC connectors if possible. WBT and Canare make 75 ohm RCAs, I'd just stay away from other RCAs which are likely to not be 75 ohm. And (also going off other's experience) it should be 2 meters + in length. DH Labs digital cables have always seemed nice, I have a 3 meter D-75. I'm just using a Furutech GT2 USB cable now though.

Happy New Years to everyone, 20 min left on the east coast!

I'm sitting home alone with the flu  :duh

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »
Yuk Feel better Dave.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi Dave,
I'm with you on doing some cost no object cables. I'd be very curious what the sound would be compared to the DD (which I love) and the D3 (which I haven't tried yet). Somebody always has the bucks to buy them. If I had the money, I'd be in that category.
As to a digital cable, I understand why you're not doing one, but it sure would be interesting based on what you've achieved with the IC's and speaker cables.
I do have a question for you, or anyone else who wants to chime in, regarding Henan Youk 99.9999% purity monocrystal square wire. Advanced vacuum induction melting, inert gas process refining, and cryogenic finishing. Ultra-Pure-Oxygen-Free wire results in a grain-free sonic performance
http://www.cabledyne.com/rca-digital-cable.html
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

DaveC

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
Hi Nick, I think that Henan wire is made by an OCC wire counterfeiter. If it was truly UPOCC wire it would be made by Furutech, Neotech or Oyaide and would be labeled as "UPOCC" wire but they cannot make such claims because they did not license the patent to produce UPOCC wire:

Cryo 99.9999% purity monocrystal square wire: Continuous Directional Solidification process (similar to OCC) offers incredible detail and clarity.

You have to wonder how similar to OCC it really is, and unfortunately it may be impossible to tell without looking at the wire with an electron microscope.

I would stay away from anyone offering something that says single or continuous crystal wire, it should state it is Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC), if they do not state it is OCC I would assume it is counterfeit, is not being produced under license, and quality may be questionable.

DaveC

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
Hi!

Still working on getting demo D3 cables ready, it's getting closer! The D3s have proven to be pretty popular and so far they have not lost a listening comparison against ANYTHING. So I am very happy about that as there has been some stiff competition... the Neotech silver/gold alloy wire is probably unbeatable right now.   8)

I am also testing out RCA connectors for the next cable, which will be an all out assault on making the world's best IC cable. With Neotech as a design partner and the new silver/gold wire I think it is achievable. The geometry will be too complicated to make by hand so I may attempt to crowd-fund the project via kickstarter as the minimum order of cable and connectors will be very expensive.

Here's some pics of the connectors that will be compared on the current D3 cable. After the cables are built, burnt in and tested I will post a thread about connectors so it can be a resource. I am unaware of another comparison of connectors at this level so it should be helpful for those who are considering spending around 4 bills on RCA connectors.

Furutech:

Neotech:

WBT/Mundorf:

Xhadow (more of an alternative to my current Furutech FP-101 than a choice for the higher end cable, but who knows?)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
Very interesting, Dave and a great experiment. It'll be interesting what level of improvement you can get by trying the ultra-expensive RCA's
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
I like the look of the Mundorf IC barrels of the 3 shown. I'm interested to read about the differences sonically. I think for kicks Dave should put on Switchcraft gold phono plugs on the DD3 to hear if there could be a difference between them all. ;)

http://www.newark.com/switchcraft/3502abau/connector-rca-phono-plug/dp/83F9081?mckv=sFW2auLsL|pcrid|15840690981|plid|&CMP=KNC-G-SKU-Switchcraft

$8+ phono plugs on big dollar wire. That would be crazy.

DaveC

« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
I have used Switchcraft RCAs and they are probably the best of the extremely cheap RCAs... but the connectors do make a major difference with IC cables, and it's likely the SC plugs would do some damage to the signal.

The Neotech vs Furutech may be close as they are both rhodium plated UPOCC copper... the WBTs are quite a bit different so it should be interesting to see. I don't think the Xhadows will be able to compete with the others with it's OFC copper center pin but they may be a good alternative to the Furutech FP-101s I currently use.

DaveC

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
I'm ready to send out D3 interconnect cables for demo!!!

I will send a set to bpape who has the set of tour cables, the D3s will be combined with the tour cables and sent to topround, then on to anyone else interested in hearing them... let me know, either post here or send me a PM. Thanks!  :-P

DaveC

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
I have not heard from bpape yet, I will try to message him through his biz...

If anyone else is interested in checking out the tour cables let me know. bpape will have the full set after he gets the D3s.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2014, 06:04:07 AM »
I have not heard from bpape yet, I will try to message him through his biz...

If anyone else is interested in checking out the tour cables let me know. bpape will have the full set after he gets the D3s.

Hi Dave

On this leg of the tour would it be the D3 cables only or D3 cables along with all the other awesome cables?

Also I may have someone interested in listening to your cables but the guy is in Hawaii and not part of this forum yet. I'm trying to get him to join but he hasn't yet. I guess too much fun in the sun. Is Hawaii too far for the tour?

Thanks again.

DaveC

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
Hi,

I got hold of Bryan and will be shipping him the D3, probably today. Then he will add it to the cables he has and send them on to topround, then anyone else who is interested in checking them out.

Unfortunately, I think Hawaii is too far for this tour...

DaveC

« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:28 AM »
Bryan has the D3s now, and I have an update on the RCA plug test...

The WBT/Mundorf Nexgen RCA plugs are pretty amazing.  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »

The new WBT connectors hopefully are no bright like the previous editions. I removed everyone and the sound was so much better. Synergy however changes everything.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »

The new WBT connectors hopefully are no bright like the previous editions. I removed everyone and the sound was so much better. Synergy however changes everything.

charles

Any idea what construction/materials differences there are between the new and the old?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS