Author Topic: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2  (Read 80863 times)

Bigfish8

Re: Grover Huffman Cables Group Buy - Round 2
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 07:33:37 PM »
I have owned the Monitor Audio 9is for approximately 3 to 4 years and used them for my main fronts in HT with a Monitor Audio Studio Series Center Channel.  I was totally happy with the speakers in HT driven by a Denon 3806 AVR.  Then one day my wife and I put in a CD and, well, the speakers were not dynamic, they actually sounded pretty bad.  I think I then started seriously browsing the HT sites on the web and somehow came across AudioCircle.  On the Circle I learned that the problem with my speakers was probably not the speakers but was the weak amp section in the Denon AVR.  Since then I have purchased 2 Odyssey Mono SEs, an Odyssey Candela, a Squeezebox 3, a linear Elpac Power Supply, had Wayne of Bolder do the Analog Mods with Platinum Caps to the S3 and mod the power supply and purchased SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s.  The Grovers will replace Bolder and Groneburg ICs.  Next purchase will be new speaker cables and then power cords (a friend has recommended Black Sands Power Cords and Straley Speaker Cables).  Oh, I forgot as I was collecting the pieces I "had" to purchase amps stands, speaker stands and racks from Core Furniture.  You know what, I be darn, the Monitor Audio 9is now sound so good for music (with the amps, preamps and Modded S3) I am becoming less annoyed at the long wait for the Timepieces. 

Sorry, but just had to get the above off my chest!  I listen to the music and say to myself, damn that sounds great and then I think it should because I have the equivalent of the cost of a 200HP Outboard sitting in my living room.  Thinking of it in that way --- wish I could use it to catch a lunker!

Ken

grover

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
Yes the balanced cables are true balanced cables in every way. They use silver connectors, 2 equal indentical signal conductors and a seperate ground. Is there anyone out there that makes balanced cables in any other way? The signal conductors and the ground conductor are  copper silver hybrids.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »
I thought the same thing, Grover.  How else could they be made?  The connectors are pretty straightforward... 3 pins, signals on one row and the ground on the second row...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
Is there anyone out there that makes balanced cables in any other way?

Yes, there is.  You're naïve if you think you'd be the first manufacturer to try and pass off SE cables w/ XLR connectors as balanced cables. 

That you ignored the first inquiry and offered nothing substantive in your initial response to the second did nothing to engender confidence in the construction of your cables.  Thank you for (finally) providing clarification. 

Given how difficult it is for you to acknowledge me or my posts, would you prefer I stop recommending your cables? 

-Jim

grover

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 04:07:41 PM »
Double Ugly, You have helped me. I'm not ignoring your posts, I'm just really busy, and don't read the forums that often. Please except my apologies. Please don't be mad. I personally do not know of any manufactures that pass off SE cables as Balanced. Why would they the cables would sound awful. You’re my friend.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:45 PM »
Given how difficult it is for you to acknowledge me or my posts, would you prefer I stop recommending your cables?

Is it just me or was that a little harsh? I would figure he is a pretty busy guy and he did answer your question...
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »

Shot at 2007-06-28

Double Ugly

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 11:19:38 PM »

Is it just me or was that a little harsh? I would figure he is a pretty busy guy and he did answer your question...

Given what you know of our interactions, it's entirely reasonable for you to feel that way. 

Shot at 2007-06-28

:lol:  I'm all for it, John.  I may even break down and buy a couple pair of Grover's cables.

Considering my position on that matter up till now, I'd say that's getting along pretty friggin' well, wouldn't you?  :wink:

-Jim
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:27:04 PM by Double Ugly »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 06:59:53 AM »
I have been away on vacation for a week. I have received a good handful of orders and I will generate a spreadsheet to display GB status, hopefully by today.
Rich

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 09:35:18 AM »
Jim, given what has gone on in the past, I must say that I'm a little shocked you may be picking up a few pairs of Grover's ic's.  :shock:

Whatever your reasons, good for you on putting what happened behind you or at the very least, looking the other way long enough to buy a few sets!  :lol:

bixby

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 03:12:37 PM »
It's good to see so many noted phools commenting positively on Grover's cables. 

I placed my order today and can't wait to see how the balanced XLR does in my system.  In the past I have used RCA Single ended cables that came recommended highly such as Chimera, Jaden, and Pulsars.  All great cables.

cheers
Bixby

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 07:14:42 PM »
Hey Rich
I'm 99% sure I'll be buying at least 1 pair of 1.5 m single ended. Haven't emailed Grover yet, though. Was going to pick up another pair of I/C's from a European manufacturer, but their new prices floored me.... :roll:
Oh well......
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Double Ugly

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
Hi Nick,

I haven't heard Grover's latest cable, and I don't know to which European manufacturer you're referring.  Even so, I'd be surprised if Grover's ICs aren't at least their equal.

FWIW...

-Jim

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi Jim
Based on most reports, my brief listening sessions and your good ears, getting the Grover's is quite the good deal. I'll "spill the beans" soon on the Euro company. Either I misread their pricing or they are way behind in keeping their prices current. I've sent a followup email to them and am hoping for a timely response.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 08:45:18 PM »
Just put in an order for a couple pairs. I look forward to hearing them in my system, seems from comments in other threads that these will work well with Odyssey gear. It's also a plus that the reported burn-in time for these ICs is much more moderate than some other things I own.

Thanks to all for putting this opportunity together.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis