Author Topic: Altmann Group Buy?  (Read 24295 times)

miklorsmith

Altmann Group Buy?
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:16:45 AM »
Charles has given me the go-ahead to gauge interest in a GB of his DAC and amp.  How many interested folks are out there?  Just as importantly, how should something like this get set up?  AN has done a couple of these so any advice would be helpful.

I may or may not be coordinating this.  My life is really crazy right now.  I think Rich said he might be able to, and since he's done it that might be a good idea.  If Charles needs me to do it for comfort factor then I will.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Altmann Group Buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:38:03 AM »
One thing to know is how much of a discount is Charles willing to do... That will factor heavily into how many are interested.  For instance, I'd be VERY interested in a 50% discount... but not at all if it were 10%...

John at BSC and Grover did a quantity to discount rate... so, the more people bought, the more the discount...

So, first I'd ask Charles if we had 3, 6, or 9 commitments, what would he do for a discount, that'd probably be the best way to start. 

Second, the rules of the GB have to be pretty concrete... and I've laid out most of them at the top of the Group Buy section...

That's my first thoughts on the matter...

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:06:30 PM »
I am serious about buying DAC and maybe amp. I have seen used version of these disappear quickly in the used market so I am not worried about it not working out. The excitement about them is spreading and there is a demand. The full prices are just slightly above what experienced practical audiophiles would think appropriate, considering everything about it other than the sound, which could be thought as a bargain. Lowering it significantly for a quantity order would push it into critical mass where a more people would bite. He has a large potential market in America, and this GB makes it easy for influential audiophiles in the community to buy the products and spread the word faster.

I am happy to administer the buy, and interface with Charles as needed. I can be very comfy :) Carl can receive the money by paypal. I can receive and distribute the booty.

Since the units (amp & DAC) cost roughly the same, perhaps he can create a discount structure for raw unit count. 3, 5, 10, 15. I would appreciate receiving a 35% discount at 15 units. That would make selling it (if necessary) easy and make it a no brainer for anyone with the cash to try it out. He would get a lot of exposure.

What about spreading the word about this? There have been posts about Altmann products on a few other forums and some of those people might try it and maybe even become welcome members of AN. Does word spread easily enough on its own or should we evangalize a little?  8)
Rich
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:59:30 PM by richidoo »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
I'd have to say that I would be pretty interested in this GB...he says while trying to tell himself NO, NO  :drool:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
I might depending on timing.  My daughter's wedding is eating up most of my cash right now....

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
I might depending on timing.  My daughter's wedding is eating up most of my cash right now....

Bryan

that's easily fixed.... just do like my sister... food was potluck, and Nova Scotia has (had?) a policy of granting liquor licenses for a day for weddings.  They bought all the booze and resold at the reception for a profit.  It paid for the entire wedding including honeymoon and they had $2K left over..... I think that says more about the consumption habits of family and friends than anything else :)  People still talk about that wedding 14 years later.  People that were seen dancing on tables with centerpieces on their head haven't had a drink since that night ;)

I must say that it is startling how much Americans spend on weddings and how it is expected that the parents cough up the cash for it.

back to our regularly scheduled group buy discussion....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Ha!  Good story.  I'll go back to Charles and see what he's brewing up price-wise.

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
Guys:

I know some of you have listened to the Altmann DAC and unfortunately I missed the opportunity to hear one Saturday Evening.  I am curious about how you would deal with the issue of having a rather large 12Volt Battery to hide near the rest of your equipment?  Certainly, I could not imagine bringing anything other than a Optima Gel cell battery into my house.

I visited the Altmann BYOB website and if I read correctly the basic DAC is 750 Euro with the price increasing up to 1345 Euro depending on options selected.  Based on today's exchange rates that is $998 up to $1790 US.  Which unit (what options) have you listened to and recommend for purchase?

I have currently having Wayne modify my Squeezebox 3 (analog mods) but could potentially in joining in this group buy pending the discount offered.

Ken

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 04:42:36 PM »
As Carl suggested, knowing the volume/discount relationship is necessary.  I am interested.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
Hi Ken
We had a good time, wish you could have come - next time? Soon we'll need to pile into your house to hear your new toys. :mrgreen:

Mike's DAC that we auditioned is loaded with all available options. Full sample rates, and JISCO. I didn't notice if it also had TOSLINK input, but I don;t remember seeing any blank spots on the PCB! We listened to 44.1 and JISCO on or off wasn't noticeable with Oracle CD1000 transport. SB jitter isn't too terrible, but I didn't notice a difference there either. Higher sample rates are certainly audible and worthwhile, but software is limited. It can't D/A SACD, but can playback DVD-A, or DVD-v sound if you have any music video movies, etc.  I could be very happy with 44.1 and no JISCO.

Hopefully as ATT/Verizon/et al start bringing fiber optic internet connectivity into the house we will have download speeds high enough to warrant music being published online in hi res formats. When/if that happens a DAC that can unwind 96kbps will be useful. "I can dream, can't I?" 
 :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
Ken...
I am curious about how you would deal with the issue of having a rather large 12Volt Battery to hide near the rest of your equipment?  Certainly, I could not imagine bringing anything other than a Optima Gel cell battery into my house.
When I auditioned the Altmann, I did not use a big car battery...used a small CSB battery that Mike M. had included.....5.5" L x 1.89" W x 5" H.....seemed to work fine. 8)

http://www.csb-battery.com/english/01_product/02_detail.php?fid=9&pid=43   .....Cost $25.00 to $30.00.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:49:07 PM »
Carl....
For instance, I'd be VERY interested in a 50% discount... but not at all if it were 10%...

50% off... :shock:
That's not realistic Carl....a guys gotta eat...maybe 25% - 30% off.....that would be nice. 8)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 05:51:51 AM »
Well.. I was trying to make a point... bigger discount = more sales.. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 06:51:28 AM »
I watch car shows on the weekend. Those guys have been raving about Optima batteries for years. Not only because of the electrical performance, but because of the superior vibration tolerance, and ability to mount in any orientation. The red top cycles very deep for a std car battery, has much higher density compared to typical SLA. The yellow top battery that they make is a deep cycle for campers, boats, etc, designed for lower peak currents, but greater Ah capacity. Same chemistry (quiet), different construction. Optima's and any gel cell with no maintenance ports on top are comletely sealed and very safe. The things you need to be careful about to insure 100% safety is not shorting the terminals, buy a safe automatic charger/trickler to avoid overcharging, and don't let the cats/kids gnaw on the terminals, they are lead. If I remember correctly the red top comes with plastic covers to protect the leads.

miklorsmith

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 07:27:37 AM »
Official word -

15% off over 5 total units, no further breaks.

One might look at this as a great deal, or not so much.  I consider my fully loaded Attraction a great deal at the retail price, others may not.

Shall we continue the discussion?