Author Topic: Grover Interconnect Demo Tour  (Read 44581 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Grover Interconnect Demo Tour
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 09:03:22 AM »
Update:
Duke had the cables and has now mailed them to Martin = AcidJazz. I don't have any details. Everybody please post your tracking number when you send,  so the next guy can know when they will arrive and make himself available to sign for delivery (if applicable) and schedule time to listen. That will keep the gears greased. Thanks!

Jim, I compared them to anticable (copper) and heard a very noticeable difference. Looking forward to your impressions, especially to Reality which I think are more on par with the Grovers.

Rich

jrebman

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
Jim, I compared them to anticable (copper) and heard a very noticeable difference. Looking forward to your impressions, especially to Reality which I think are more on par with the Grovers.

Rich

Rich,

I'm going to put the Realitys in today and see what happens.  Now that my system is finally really starting to sing, I'm zeroing in on a few areas that need tweaking, and I think the anti-ics may be one source of things that need looking into.  I should know by tomorrow what effects the interconnect is having on the final sound.

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:10:55 AM »
Duke has sent the cables to AcidJazz.

Please post tracking numbers here so next in line can plan for their arrival. Thanks!

Jim, Looking forward to your comparison. I found the Grovers a cut above the anticables in almost every way, but not such a big diff on the Realitys.

Rich

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
Jim, Looking forward to your comparison. I found the Grovers a cut above the anticables in almost every way, but not such a big diff on the Realitys.

Rich

Rich,

I'll tell the full story later, but at least for now the Reality cables leave the Anti-ICs in the dust.  Perhaps a touch  more top-end detail with the antis, but I'll let the cook overnight with the amps off and see what happens tomorrow, and so on for a few days.  Gregg had converted a custom Y cable into two pairs of ICs for me, and did it on very short notice before he left on vacation (btw, three cheers for his fantastic customer service) and warned that they would be a bit "rough" because he wouldn't have enough time to fully cook them on the break-in device.  If this is rough, I can't wait to see what smoothe is :-).

Now it will be even more interesting to see how the Grovers compare.  It's a whole new world when your system gels :-).

-- Jim

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
Hi Jim,
Sorry if I seemed pushy by posting twice,  :oops:   I posted again without ever reading your first reply, because I thought my first one never got posted, so I did it again. duh... Then I finally figured out that we went to page two> haha. This computer stuff can be soooo tricky!

I have heard nothing but great things about Gregg and his products. Have fun with them!
Rich

AcidJazz

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 02:35:13 PM »
Well, thats good to know... maybe the cable sender should email the receiver when he/she ships. So I guess I should be on the look-out for the package huh.
I am using MAC cables in my system, so it will be interesting to see how it compares. I take it that its just one pair of cables making the rounds?

AcidJazz

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »
Cables received today.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
Duke did email you on 4/24 (copied me) to let you know he had mailed them that day. Somehow I missed your previous post until now. 2 pairs of cable on tour, but I guess you know that by now  :D  Have fun with the cables!
Rich

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 02:55:47 AM »
Are you guys going to post any comments as you go along ?

shep

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 04:47:54 AM »
We defiabtely need comments!

AcidJazz

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
I will post my comments later tonight or tomorrow. Got one more listen, this time on tubes... I am impressed so far.
Tomorrow I will be shipping the cables to the next in line... Bob Rex.

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 06:22:17 AM »
Quote from: "shep"
We defiabtely need comments!
What kind of French is that? :D I get it after king Bob.  I am kind of wishing it sucks so I don't have to buy a bunch.   :twisted:

P.S. At least all of you will know that I am not predisposed to like the cable.  If it still comes through despite my skepticism, more power to it.  And poorer I will be.
I am a nut.

shep

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2007, 12:37:36 PM »
Rural French! (or the kind that appears when there's no spell-checkée and this one is non paying attention) Since I'm in on the buy, I want to know how wonderful these are!

AcidJazz

2 out of 3 by a wide enough margin...
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2007, 10:55:33 PM »
Cables are onto the next stop.
The cables caught me in a busy spell... can't complain with that but it did limit my time with them. But I heard some specific differences in 2 of the 3 setups I used. It first replaced an Audioquest budget cable (the red ones sold by AA), notable improvements in the upper bass, mids and highs... the mid range seemed to be pushed forward slightly, and the depth and space around the instruments expanded.
Then I swapped in the other pair for MAC palladium which I had between the source and preamp, to be quite honest I did not expect to hear any difference since I have found these MAC palladium the best in my system to date. Man, was I caught by surprise...with all ICs GroverS, the sound took on another dimension that opened up the sound, cymbals were soooo clean and the after-ring(echo?) just hung there... the sound of the fingers sliding along the guitar strings were sooo real and immediate... at times it made my skin crawl and my teeth resonate...shit, that never happened before.
I was pulling out some of my old favorites just to see/hear what I might have been missing...5 hours later (2:30am), I remembered I had to work the next day. I was listening at a low level since it was so late at night, and was looking forward to some 90-100db the next day.
And sure enough, the next evening...the "magical" sound was still there as I replayed some of what I had played the night before. Then I took the preamp(Tempest) out of the circuit and wanted to hear just the cables, so I used an Axiom passive I had on hand to control the volume...waw, another difference experience, slightly less aggressive upper end but had a wholesome delicate balance, and bigger space...I had to turn the volume all the way up to get almost the same volume as with the Tempest. After swapping back in my old cables and then returning to the Grovers, I was convinced I was not imaging what I heard.
The next day I tried the cables on my 3205 Signature, I have MACs AQ with silver bullet plugs between the Tempest and amp and the Palladium from the CD source to the pre. Well... I was hard pressed to hear any difference.  I was tired that evening after a hard day of work, maybe that had something to do with it or maybe not.
I even eliminated the preamp and used the 3205 as an intregrated... I thought I heard a clearer cleaner cymbal sounds, but after swapping in my MAC cables and returning to the Grover, I wasn't so sure...sounded the same to me.
But I was impressed enough so with the all SS system transformation... The CJ Sonographe really was magical with the Grovers.
Source: HK8385 > Tempest/Axiom> CJ Sonographe /Response Audio 3205 Signature > VMPS RM1.
Speaker cables with the CJ was a Homebrew 8-strand SS per leg weave, and on the tube amp, Audioquest GBC.

I am in for the second group buy.  :beer:

Ustas

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »
Acidjazz, thanks for very nice review!  
I'm eager to try Groover's cable in both my tube and tube/SS setups. I'm already on the first GB.   :D
Now I have Xindak FA-2 between the tube preamp and the amp that I found the best match for the setup. FA-2 uses silver/copper ribbons and I guess Gruver's interconnects are close to them by internal topology.

Hope other folks on the tour post their impressions soon.