Author Topic: Grover Huffman IC Group Buy  (Read 70605 times)

shep

Grover Huffman IC Group Buy
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 09:35:20 AM »
"Hey, it worked out with the opamp, so why not a set of cables?"
The opamps were free!
Chris you're our savior!
"ROTFL" :shock: ? Right on the fast lane??? (that ain't me)
LEXICON :!:  :?:  :idea:
I need a good set of IC's. My DH labs are not working very well with my system as it evolves. I'm certainly in for 1M set but I get nervous buying "work in progress" gear. Having said that, I've been on an audio roll of late so trusting lucky stars that watch over Nervosa's.

Double Ugly

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Lets keep this in mind.....Stealth Audio Indra - component retail: $5,750/1m/pr ......... :roll:
And that would be precisely my point.  :beer:

Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
(Did you get these at Walmart..... :lol: .....just kidding.....)
How'd you know?  :shock:

AcidJazz

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2007, 12:59:13 PM »
Hey, if Chris says they are good...then I guess I am sold.  :shock:
But, this is not the way to present any new product. At the very least, Grover should offer a little information explaining his cable's philosophy and why it differs from 'other' brands... just a little info can go a long way.
So...reading between the lines... I guess the group buy is for his latest 'S' version of his cable(there being just one model?) with whatever current innovation he is currently working on... is that a reasonable assessment?

grover

grover cable
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2007, 04:05:35 PM »
I'm sure all us cable guys have the same philosophy. Make music real. Make cables that take you to the original event. I'm not sure what I can say about my cables that haven’t been said before. My design is unique, uses multiple ribbons of purest copper and silver. Double Ugly hasn't hear the new connectors, takes the S to a different level that would make the Indra sweat. In my opinion price is irrelevant, we want the finest sound possible. The fact that I'm not charging $5000+ is that I despise this practice. A new day has come. Goodbye Indra.

Double Ugly

Re: grover cable
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2007, 05:55:10 PM »
Quote from: "grover"
A new day has come. Goodbye Indra.
Not yet...

WEEZ

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2007, 06:16:54 PM »
grover,

You might quote the capacitance value. It does matter in some installations....thanks

WEEZ

lonewolfny42

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2007, 11:51:52 PM »
Posted some listening comments......here.....

Mr_bill2

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
Quote from: "WEEZ"
grover,

You might quote the capacitance value. It does matter in some installations....thanks

WEEZ

Yup, especially us "passive' types.   :?

kwuke

Re: Grover Huffman IC Group Buy
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
Hi

as my first post i don't want to start too much controversy here, but does not any one think that it is strange that Gorver's business model is one of continuos improvement (which really is  a good thing...but this happens every few months and so, it is questionable to me)...wait until you hear this one, it is better than the last one etc...?

I have owned a pair of his UR speaker cables since feb 2005..and i like them for what they are (presently ion a bedroom system)...i own a pair of his U8 RCA to RCA 1 meter cables and have used them in 3 different systems, with one system on for a continuous 400 hours....and i think they are  not worth the  price .......(where my main system is configured with silversmith silver and VD revelation)

they do they same thing in every sytem i have put them in....yes detail, yes some depth, no not musical, not not listenbale....they don't present dynamics and dynamic shading properly, and i and my wife have heard this in all 3 systems in the exact same way...my brother has auditioned them in 2 of his systems, and he heard the same characteristics without me telling him what to listen to...

i would not advise anyone spending their money on grovers cables...given all the adoring words written on the U8 on other forums, i can't imagine that his new S cable is substantially better...and i would love to be wrong because the potential for price/performance ratio is something you have to love...

shep

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 03:04:01 PM »
The first dissenting voice :shock: Had to happen sooner or later...maybe we are dealing with different generations of a work-in-progress? Would be nice to know that what we are talking about buying represents the culmination.. always the "innocent abroad", that's me!

grover

grover cable
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
I must admit that in the past I have been quick to improve my cables, I believe that offering the finest cables is the only way to go. I'm sorry that kwuke feels that way about my UR8, and I agree it had its limitations. The new S cable is light years beyond the UR8. I personally and a lot of customers loved the UR8 at its conception. I know many people that still use that cable with great satisfaction. I do feel that I'm at the point where my cables will remain very stable. Personally I feel I'm very lucky to have the flexibility to change and grow. When I discover a weakness I work to improve. This is why I've changed connectors on the cables you guys will get. I discovered the connector was holding back the performance. I personally do not think improving ones product a sin. The cable measures around 20pf. per foot.

shrinkmore

huh?
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
what's a "pf"  :?
a measure of capacitance?

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: huh?
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Quote from: "shrinkmore"
what's a "pf"  :?
a measure of capacitance?
Yes, picofarad, pretty tiny as in ten to the minus 12th farads :-)
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

WEEZ

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
Yup, 20pf/ft is workable in most applications. Thanks for the info, grover.

WEEZ

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2007, 06:33:28 PM »
I just flew back into town tonight... was seeing a friend in Boston for his 40th birthday... and haven't seen a computer since Friday morning.  

I read through this thread and it's all over the place... and it seems there are 2 or 3 'angles' to this topic... 1, This is a GB thread, intended to be a central point to answer questions about the GB.
2, It sounds like Grover's cables need more introduction, details, specs, demos, etc.
3, Stuff that's splitting off from #2.

Also, thanks to Jim for the clarification.  

Please keep in mind, I understand hesitation to try something unknown but there's no obligation to do this... It's something Grover offered to do and my only thought was to pass the favor to AudioNervosa members... So, if you like/want/are interested, join... if not, there's no obligation.  

I had never heard of Grover or his cables until I got addicted to Black Sand Cables.  John suggested them when I bought my PC's.  So, I started chatting with Grover a little about doing a GB.... and here we are. :)

I'll be getting to emails soon... please be patient it'll take me a couple of days to get fully back into the swing of things.

However... I would prefer not to have the GB have depencies on demo's... There are generous folks on AudioNervosa that will probably help with that, though.... and I highly encourage that kind of spirit.  I've rarely got all my equipment in my house at the same time... And I know others here are the same.

I wish I could split this post into 3 areas but it's sort-of connected.  Please start new threads asking for demos, or non-GB related stuff.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.