Author Topic: Grover Huffman IC Group Buy  (Read 67231 times)

lonewolfny42

Grover Huffman IC Group Buy
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »
Photo's and further info........ :D

From...DarkAngel post, page 5.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
Quote from: "Double Ugly"
Quote from: "richidoo"
I don't know about digital ICs, but unless I grossly misunderstood his response to my query about (read "request for") balanced ICs, he doesn't make 'em.   :(

Interesting. XLR connector on single ended cables? Hmmm... Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense to me.... Any equipment with a XLR connector is balanced input or output. Might be good to discover the real deal so no surprises.

I will search Steve Hoffman site tomorrow for a clue.
Rich
I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I said nothing about putting XLR connectors on SE cables.  I asked about getting balanced cables instead of single-ended cables.

Am I missing or misunderstanding some sort of semantics thing?

Grover has listed XLR cables in this group buy so, he makes XLR-terminated cables.  When you questioned whether Grover made 'balanced' cables that would indicate the XLR's offered are not balanced.  I'm thinking that's where Rich's post came from... because I had the same question after reading your post.

Only you and Grover know what comments you're referring to so it's tough to understand what you're actually talking about...

Hopefully Grover will be along to clarify whether his XLR cables are balanced... I'm pretty sure they are based on conversations I've had with Grover.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 06:41:25 AM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Photo's and further info........ :D

From...DarkAngel post, page 5.

Awesome! Thanks for the image link, LW.  I hope to have another one from our local club meeting soon.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

grover

grover cable
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »
Hi everyone, what a thrill to have Carl sponsor this group buy. I think you guys will love my cables, I've put years of work into finding the finest sounding cables that regular folks like me can afford. I am extremely passionate about all aspects of reproduced sound. To give you guys some info. I do make completely balance XLR cables. All connectors are heavy plated silver, I've spent allot of effort lately developing great sounding connectors. All cables are a mixture of copper and silver, in a patent pending design. I don't have a website yet. Looking forward to your feedback.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 08:42:40 AM »
Grover,  Thank you (and Carl) for making this group buy possible!

Can you also post info about your speaker cables, pricing, and whether they are included in the group buy as well?    (if not, I'll followup with you separately).

Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »
Am I missing or misunderstanding some sort of semantics thing?

I misinterpreted your reply to mean he didn't make balanced ICs.

Mr_bill2

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »
Quote from: "mdconnelly"
I guess I was assuming that his XLR terminated cables are balanced.   Now I'm a bit confused.... (but always willing to be enlightened ;-)

Mike

Mike, somewhere along the lines the verbiage got mixed up, I think.  :o

According to Carl's GB, XLR cables are offered and I assume they are balanced not single ended!  Unless you have a special situation where you have an RCA the has to go into a BAL input and even then I'd suggest using an adaptor and not different plugs at both ends.  

But hey, what do I know, I'm just the new guy around here. :lol:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »
Quote from: "Mr_bill2"
Mike, somewhere along the lines the verbiage got mixed up, I think.  :o
Agreed.    I was just wanting to know if anyone had any experience using Grover's XLR terminated ICs (as compared to his RCA ICs).   I want to change from running RCA ICs between my Tact preamp and McCormack amp to XLR ICs since they both can support it.

Mike

shep

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 01:14:07 PM »
I read thru the whole review thing from Head-fy. Kind of confusing but I'm game. Still Grover should clue us into which version we are buying...the improved "S", or something more recent.

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
Grover has listed XLR cables in this group buy so, he makes XLR-terminated cables.  When you questioned whether Grover made 'balanced' cables that would indicate the XLR's offered are not balanced.  I'm thinking that's where Rich's post came from... because I had the same question after reading your post.
First, I never "questioned whether Grover made 'balanced' cables".  What I did was *ask* Grover for balanced cables, and he said no.  He said a lot more, but the gist *I* got from it is that he doesn't make them.  

Secondly, I've had several cable manufacturers explain to me why an XLR termination in and of itself is not the same thing as a true balanced cable.  If I've been misinformed, like Mike (mdconnelly), I'm always willing to be enlightened.

Quote from: "Carlman"
Only you and Grover know what comments you're referring to so it's tough to understand what you're actually talking about...
-C
Okay. I'll see if I can make myself better understood.

I requested balanced ICs from Grover, and I conveyed what I understood Grover's reply to mean in response to mdconnelly's query.  The response included a caveat ("...unless I grossly misunderstood...") because Grover's response to my request confused me, which was surprising given the simplicity of the request.  Whether or not my interpretation of Grover's response is/was accurate is certainly questionable, though the fact that he didn't honor the request of a potential customer seemed to support the premise that he doesn't offer truly balanced cables.

Regardless of how erroneous my interpretation of Grover's comments may be, and in spite of what may be a complete and utter failure to understand the definition of the word "balanced" as it applies to cables, I cannot see how "it's tough to understand what (I'm) actually talking about..."  My comments may not jive with your understanding of the situation, thus resulting in confusion, but I don't know how I could have been more clear.

-Jim

AcidJazz

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
I think we need more information from Grover on his cables. This is like buying on just good faith.  [-o<

shep

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:30 PM »
Good faith plays a big part in a lot of audio purchases! recentlyI have been winging it totally on good faith... :shock: I don't think my run of good luck has run out just yet but I would appreciate knowing what I'm buying!
Grover I don't expect you to tell in-house secrets :D  just a bit more info to unlock my faith fund!

shrinkmore

Me 2
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 05:37:20 AM »
I also think this group buy would be more successful and could avoid any potential misgivings with more information and participation from Grover.  At this point, the only way I would participate is with some sample cables.  What I would want in a perfect world: Grover provides a few sets of cables for us to try before the group purchase; otherwise, I'm probably not in.  I bought 5 Black Sand Cable powercords in the last group buy, so it's not the format of the purchase.  Of course, I knew my previous power cords weren't that good, relative to my current interconnects and speaker cables, so it's going to take a lot to get me into this group buy.  

Regardless, thanks to Carl

Mr_bill2

Re: Me 2
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 06:07:05 AM »
Quote from: "shrinkmore"
I also think this group buy would be more successful and could avoid any potential misgivings with more information and participation from Grover.  At this point, the only way I would participate is with some sample cables.  What I would want in a perfect world: Grover provides a few sets of cables for us to try before the group purchase; otherwise, I'm probably not in.  I bought 5 Black Sand Cable powercords in the last group buy, so it's not the format of the purchase.  Of course, I knew my previous power cords weren't that good, relative to my current interconnects and speaker cables, so it's going to take a lot to get me into this group buy.  

Regardless, thanks to Carl

Well, I think that sums it up rather nicely!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Edit
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »
Sorry, I posted a PM in the forum by mistake. Deleted.
Rich