Author Topic: Verve on HDTracks  (Read 10216 times)

mgalusha

Re: Verve on HDTracks
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
When you guys download these do you play them back at this high resolution from your computer, or do you convert from FLAC to MP3 (or something similar) and burn a CD?

For me it's PC to DAC at native resolution, up to 24/192 otherwise it would be indeed pointless. :)

Theoretically, if you run an ethernet cable you are also getting a direct copper link back to the PC that contains that crappy noisy switching power supply, which is isolated from the music system if your data stream is traveling wirelessly. Nothing for nothing.

Some interfaces have internal transformers for galvanic isolation but not very many from what I understand. I have not tried them but in-line transformers are available for $150 that will completely isolate the line. I am going to order one and find out if it improves the sound. That doesn't get rid of the switcher in the PC but with low power PC's that can be addressed by a reasonable linear supply.

mike

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Verve on HDTracks
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
No, I haven't but then, I always figured that any power filtering/conditioning equipment would essentially block or at least hinder the use of ethernet over power lines (caveat: spoken without having a clue what I'm talking about).    Hmmmm....

Usually the powerline conditioning is done in between the outlet and the equipment which would usually be at a point afterwhich the ethernet signal has already been extracted. My fear would not be whether the powerline conditioner would impede the transmission of the data. My worry would be whether your chosen powerline conditioner could effectively prevent any noise imparted onto the power by the data signal from degrading the performance of the rest of the audio system......

My only experience with this was that I use to use X10 devices around my house to control lights.   But when I introduced various surge protectors on TV or computer, the X10 devices worked intermittently at best if they were on the same run as the surge protector.   So I was wondering if the same would be true for ethernet.  Hopefully, it is running on a completely different frequency that would be immune to this.

Wow Mike, that's a strange one. I would understand if the x10 was connected on the output side of the conditioner, but from your description it sounds as if the x10s were connected on the line side of the conditioners. Not quite sure why that should have an effect. Just another power conditioning interaction that seems to behave outside of normal expectations. Not the first one I've seen and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables