Author Topic: Squeezebox Center - Problem Recognizing HiRez Files  (Read 5754 times)

Bigfish8

Squeezebox Center - Problem Recognizing HiRez Files
« on: October 30, 2009, 06:08:12 AM »
Guys:

My Transporter has the capability of playing hi rez music files and I have obtained two or three hi rez CDs.  I ripped them to my music file in .flac (as is all my music) but Squeezebox Center is not showing the albums even after I do a clear library and rescan everything.  Do any of you have any experience with Hi Rez Files and Squeezebox Center?  I must have a setting that is incorrect.

I would appreciate any advice on how to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
Re: Squeezebox Center - Problem Recognizing HiRez Files
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
Ken,

I am doing my hirez in Wavepak format to store, then playing through the TP.  Not sure that would have anything to do with whether SC recognizes them in the database, but there are some reported issues with playing hirez FLAC files directly (I think maybe dropouts of some sort?).  I'll relook at my settings when I get some time over the weekend, but it seems to work fine in my setup.

I also mark the directory with a (24-96) on the end of it because in my Empirical Audio PaceCar2 the dual clock 44/96 switching is a manual process via a toggle switch.

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:54:44 AM »
Can you play the files with another player, like audacity or whatever other free app will play hirez files on the computer? foobar maybe?  That will verify your ripper and media files are OK. You don't have to hear them, just see if they open and play visually.  Then try kicking them off manually using Squeezecenter transport controls. If doesn't work, try ripping to WAV instead. If that works, then see if your flac decoding is set to happen at the TP or Squeezecenter. If it is set to convert at the TP, you might try converting at the PC and streaming WAV to it. My Squeezebox prefers to do the converting itself, but it might be an issue with high rez for some reason.  You might need hard wired ethernet to avoid dropouts with that much data, don't know on that one, but it's a lot more data. But you should hear something even if it does dropout.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »
Ken,  where did you buy the files?  I've downloaded hi-res files from HDTracks and it has worked fine.  They come down as flac files and Squeezebox Center sees them and the Duet  plays them.  The only problem I have is that the higher bit rate tends to make my wireless Duet dropout and rebuffer sometimes.

My understanding is that the Transporter has always been able to play be hi-res files.   What version of Squeezebox Center (or whatever they're calling it now) are you using.  I see that 7.4.2 is now the 'safe' beta.  I'm using 7.4.1

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »
Ken,  where did you buy the files?  I've downloaded hi-res files from HDTracks and it has worked fine.  They come down as flac files and Squeezebox Center sees them and the Duet  plays them.  The only problem I have is that the higher bit rate tends to make my wireless Duet dropout and rebuffer sometimes.

My understanding is that the Transporter has always been able to play be hi-res files.   What version of Squeezebox Center (or whatever they're calling it now) are you using.  I see that 7.4.2 is now the 'safe' beta.  I'm using 7.4.1
The TP should normally play them fine at 24/96khz.  Squeezecenter (using SOundeXchange or SOX) re-samples the 24/96 FLAC down to 44.1khz to play on the the Duet.
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:48:56 AM »
Actually, the latest version of Squeezebox Center and the Duet firmware allows it to down convert from 24/96 to 24/48, but I'm not sure if it's the server doing the down-convert or the Duet itself.  Either way, it is shipping more bits over wireless given the rebuffering that happens pretty frequently with them.