Author Topic: OC703 Group Buy - Triangle NC area  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
OC703 Group Buy - Triangle NC area
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
I'm planning on buying several pieces of 4'x8' OC703 for my sound room and Rich mentioned he needed some.. and he mentioned Ken and Shane needed it.. So, if everyone interested in OC703 panels will post here with an exact amount they need, I'll get a price, let you guys decide, and then have it ready for pickup at one of 3 locations, the distributor in N. Raleigh, Rich's place, or mine.  I'm ordering it from Trident: http://www.tridentdistribution.com/

I haven't completely decided on how the logistics will work but I might even get it delivered to one of our houses depending on quantity.

The OC703 boards come in 2" thickness, faced and unfaced, generally you buy them in 6-packs of 2' x 4' boards.  So, a 'case' is 48 square feet.  The last time I bought it was a long time ago so I don't what the price is now... I'll call tomorrow to find out.  I also need to find out how they sell the 4x8 sheets.

I plan to order by the end of this week so I need to know if you're in, and if so, I'll need payment by the time it's ready to be picked up.. or when I order.

To figure out how much and what size you need, decide the dimensions of your finished panel.. So, a 6" 2x4 panel will require 3 OC703 boards to create 6".  You could make 2 6" bass traps with 1 case of material.

I need 10 4x4's for the walls, at 2" thickness.  Then I'm making 3 6" 4x8's for the ceiling, and 2 4x8 4" for the front wall.  So, I need 18 4x8 panels. (576 square feet of 2" thick material)

I would expect my order to be close to a grand.. ballpark... and that's just for me.  With construction on the downslide and a big group order, I would think we could get some good discounts.

Let's get to it! :)
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: OC703 Group Buy - Triangle NC area
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
Hey Carl...are you going to do this in lieu of the panels???

I'm kinda interested, but I may actually have all I need, after buying a lot of your old panels. I'll think it over, in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:39:28 AM by richidoo »
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
I'm doing these as part of a panel design I'm doing.  Glad you're enjoying the panels you bought from me.. I thought it would've been a waste to tear them apart just for the OC material.

-C
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 06:15:08 AM by Carlman »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »
I'm thinking about trying to get at least a couple of the panels...when you guys do that...so maybe I should stock up on the appropriate OC703 sheets...hmmmm.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:39:56 AM by richidoo »
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
I suggest you post price for 4x8x2" OC703 boards, and 2x4x2" boards. Then we can order one batch. We can stage the distro here for May30 pickup. We can break up packs for exact number of panels.

I need at least 7 packs maybe 11 packs, but I could use 4x8s in some places easier than 2x4s.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 05:40:17 AM by richidoo »

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
I'm in... I've already got some 1" thick 2X4 panels in packaging and a bunch of ugly panels I need to rip apart that I can re-use the 703 from that.  But I need more.... sooooo much more for the rooms in the new place.

The theater room upstairs is going to need soffits built into it for bass trapping.  High ceilings come in handy for once :)  One more project for me to do.  I need to finally break down and buy a framing nailer.  I've got to build a lot of shelving in the garage anyways... yeah... perfect justification for new tools :)

Let me add them all up and get back to you.  Hopefully by tomorrow at the latest.  Someone threw a royal fit at the reveal of ceiling mounted panels downstairs this weekend.  But yet she also was complaining about the ringing in the rooms.......

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:52:12 AM »
One thing you guys may want to consider in the WAF pursuit is canvas-printed images.  I saw these in a diner once.. they just took some regular canvas like you'd use to paint on to Kinko's and had them print some digital files.  They looked really nice... they weren't 'acoustically transparent' but they weren't bad either.

Just go to your local Kinko's with some material you'd like to use and see what they can do.

-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
Carl, GIK Acoustics now does dye sublimation printing of custom graphics on audio transparent fabric. Bryan is working on pricing for us to buy custom panels and printed fabric from GIK.